Midland Hotel
$98
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Ibis Bradford Shipley(Shipley)(Great Value!)
$51
$56
Priceline
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewspeel hotelscomplimentary glass of wineold railwaycar parkgrand staircaseshopping centreoriginal featureslovely hotellarge bathroomforster square stationafternoon teapublic roomspower showerbeautiful buildingtrain stationcentral bradfordbreakfast service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We have stayed at the Midland several times and I am appalled at myself for the lack of comments on it (or maybe I am just trying to keep others away so it stays GREAT :)

LOCATION - Right on the main streets (& adjacent to the new shopping centre currently in progress)

FIRST IMPRESSIONS - This building still holds the charm and decadence of days gone by (previously a railway building of sorts). It has a welcoming feel and a beautiful Reception Area. Walking from the car park to Reception finds you walking along a corridor that still holds the beauty of a typical railway entry

STAFF - Have never had reason to fault any of them. Their appearance and manner is always profressional and VERY attentive. Well done to all of you.

FOOD - We have had breakfast on many occasion. There is plenty of choice from the Continental Bar with a cook to order hot breakfast. Sometimes there has been a buffet service, following Gala Dinners, etc. I would happily choose either option, as both work perfectly well.
AND when you get toast, it is actually browned, it isn't just warm bread (a particular bug bear of mine in hotels where the staff cant be bothered to toast it enough)

SERVICE - is impecable, whether in the restaurant, calling reception or chatting to the Maids. They remain professional and attentive at all times.

VALUE FOR MONEY - YES

ROOMS - we have stayed in both smaller and huge family rooms and, again, never dissatisfied. The decor is older, some may say outdated, but to be fair, it is in keeping with the character of the place (there is, afterall, a 21st century Elevator :)

OTHER COMMENT : We have attended the New Years Ever Gala Dinner for the last 2 years and, again (sorry to bore you), the food, service and company was excellent. The entertainment varies from live acts to a DJ for boogying into the night.
We were lucky enough to be seated with the hotel manager last year, and his wife. What a friendly couple they are too.

Room Tip: Some rooms are interjoining, which was handy when there were 3 children and 2 adults. Be aware that most rooms face the 2 main roads and there can be traffic noises, but there has been secondary glaxing in all rooms that we have occupied.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2012

It isn’t very often that the hotel is afforded so much time when a review is written by a guest; so I would like to start by saying how much I appreciate the time you have spent and the detail in which you have written this review. It also means a great deal to me that a person with so much international travel and hotel experience should write such a fantastic review.

Following your stay in December and into January what a lovely surprise to find your review written in May, I am grateful that you have remembered the hotel.

I believe the review you have written is both informative, and in such great detail that it portrays everything that we strive to achieve for our guests. I would hope that you have found the service from the staff, Food standards and overall facilities and services of the hotel to have improved year on year.

It was indeed a pleasure to have met and spent some time with you on New Years Eve, and I would like to publically thank you for your loyalty to the hotel over the last few years. Having guests return to the hotel each time is the biggest compliment we can have, but I do thank you for helping us by posting such positive comments on TripAdvisor.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel once again in the near future, but in the meantime thank you once again.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Stayed here for the Bradford Widescreen Weekend on a special room only rate.Staff at reception very welcoming with a free bottle of wine,delivered to my room in about 10 seconds or so. Room only looked out onto an open area surrounded by other rooms. Bathroom door would'nt shut properly,but apart from that hotel was fine,Bar evening staff very attentive and bar snacks reasonably priced as well.Can't comment on the food as didn't have breakfast but others I was with said it was fine.

Room Tip: Try to get one which looks out onto street level
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Dear Geoffry G, thank you very much for the review that you posted following your recent stay with us. I am very grateful for your kind and generous comments regarding the staff and service at the hotel and I hope that you enjoyed your overall experience of your visit to Bradford and the National Media Museum widescreen weekend.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next year.

Kind Regards

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Having never visited Bradford before we were not really sure what to expect. We were staying on a wowcher special offer which included an excursion on a steam train to the Bronte museum.

On entering the hotel our first impresson was of a palacial victorian old station hotel with immense character.

The reception staff were extremely welcoming and professional. The duty manager (Dan, I think) was very enthusiastic and gave us a tour of the hotel and told us all about its history.

The food was good and we felt all round excellent value for money.

Room was immaculately clean and the whole hotel had a lovely welcoming feel about it.

We have stayed at lots of four star hotels and can honestly say this was one of the best.

We will definately return when visiting the area.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

Dear Linda B,
Thank you so much for your delightful review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Staff members are thrilled to receive such glowing feedback and I believe it rewards their efforts in our collective desire to increase levels of customer care, and their dedicated professionalism.
It is really pleasing when a guest takes the time and trouble to write their true thoughts and I would like to thank you for a most favourable review.
It would be a pleasure for me to welcome you back to the hotel, and to be of service to you in the not too distant future.
Kind Regards

Reviewed May 6, 2012

We recently used the Midland in Bradford for a retirement party. The service and food quality were excellent. The Forster suite was the ideal venue for a dinner party of 30 people and the room was set up perfectly. Everything was exactly as requested and the staff were very polite and efficient. Several guests also stayed over in the hotel and were very pleased with the rooms, breakfast and complimentary wine on check in. I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank K G

Dear K G
I am writing further to having received your most kind review after your attendance at the retirement party in the Forster Suite recently. I am delighted to have received such generous comments regarding the hotel its facilities, staff and the quality of the food.

I am really pleased that you and your fellow guests enjoyed the experience with us and I hope to be able to welcome you back very soon.

Best Regards

Reviewed May 3, 2012

Attending the annual Bradford International Film Festival, we decided that after years of staying at the Hilton and watching it go downhill, that perhaps it was time to try the Midland. We stayed for four nights at this classic old railway hotel.

Entering the hotel from the car park, it's easy to imagine you’ve just arrived by train in the 1930’s. With a beautiful tiled entrance, the hotel appears to be very well cared for. Most noticeable was the width of the corridors in the hotel. None of your mean narrow little passages here. That being so, it seemed rather strange, in such an impressive building, to find the entrance to the restaurant, tucked away towards one side of the staircase and sharing signage with the toilets. To get to the restaurant, you have to pass through a small area with doors leading to the toilets. Whist not too offensive, there was a noticeable toilet smell in this area, on a couple of occasions. However, once in the restaurant, the staff were good humoured and very attentive. The room itself has a beautiful ceiling. Also, whilst at the hotel, make sure you take a look into the beautiful huge ballroom.

The staff on reception were very friendly and helpful, but did not seem to know all the particulars of our booking. Luckily we had taken copies of all our booking details. We had booked a 'Bradford City of Film Package' which is offered on the hotel web site. The staff appeared not to know anything about this package.

On checkout our bill was totally wrong, leaving the receptionist to try and sort out the mess, which she well in a very courteous and professional manner, while trying to not to inconvenience other guests. We were left with the impression that Peel Group would do well to update their computer system to take into account the various deals on offer, together with what guests order in the dining room. Or do they rely on some guests not checking their bill?

We had booked an executive room. It was a very nice sized room with free fast wifi. For us, the good sized bed was a little too firm and the duvet was a little on the heavy side for the temperature in the room. But nothing preventing a good nights sleep. The room had a good sized wardrobe, but lacking in drawer/shelf storage, with no drawers, other than one on each of the bedside tables.

The bathroom door, only had one screw on the top hinge, so door dropped, needing the door to be slammed or lifted to enable closure. Why does housekeeping not notice and report these things? (We did when we left). It was nice to find it had a heated towel rail. Sadly, it would not heat up. This combined with the fact that the towels were nasty thin things mean’t that there was no way we wanted to use the towels for more than one day.

The cooked breakfast was very nice with good ingredients, but a little on the mean side. We were a little surprised to find that there was no hash browns or beans option with the full English. Also, toast should be just that, not warmed bread. We had dinner on one night and found the choices available, and the service from the friendly staff to be a very pleasant experience.

Without a doubt, the lasting impression was the impressive building and the always smiling staff. For all the little niggles, we'd happily stay at The Midland again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jayare14

Dear Jayare14,
I am delighted to have received your most honest and detailed review, thank you very much indeed. Your review is very useful for me to detail some of the points you have raised, look into the errors made and the maintenance issues and put things right immediately. I will endeavour to put right the little niggles and I appreciate you having brought them to my attention.
It is very good to hear from a guest not only the very complimentary things that you have said and I am indeed very grateful, but also the issues that we really would like to hear about to help us improve even further. I would like to apologise for the problems experienced upon check out and I am pleased the receptionist was able to sort out the details. I am sorry if any of these irritations impaired the enjoyment of your weekend with us in any way.
I hope to welcome back to the Midland Hotel for next years Bradford International Film Festival.

Kindest Regards