“It was terrible”

Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Leicester
“It was terrible”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Group of us went. Arrived early evening and two of the beds had been slept in. Everything in the rooms needed a good clean tops of kettles toilet seats bed spreads - although the food was excellent in the restaurant in the evening breakfast was definately not service at both meals was slow and the restaurant was soulesswe were really disappointed as this was are second stay

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank JobozLeicester
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Dear JobozLeicester,

Thank you very much for your review, as candid as it was; I would wish to know if we were letting our clients down. I have investigated the issues that you have brought to my attention and must apologise if you and some of your colleagues discovered that the cleanliness in your rooms was not up to the standard that you experienced on your previous stay with us. I have discussed your comments with the Head Housekeeper, who will strive to improve the performance of her staff. I must apologise to your colleague also for the incorrect allocation of the Twin Room, which in fact should have been out of order, and not let that night, which is why he was moved straight away.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Restaurant food, and I am sorry that you found the service a bit slow. The kitchen cook to order and I am afraid that in comparison to some Restaurants where food is reheated, the food delivery can take a little longer.

I am always happy and available to discuss any issue connected with a guests comfort, service of my staff and food standards at anytime during their stay. Should you wish to discuss any aspect of your recent stay with me then please do not hesitate to contact me.

I sincerely hope that you will afford me the opportunity in restoring your faith in this hotel should your business itinerary bring you back to Bradford in the future.

I thank you for giving the hotel your honest appraisal and the chance to improve its perfomance

With thanks and best regards

Gary Peacock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Polish first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2012

What a superb place. Tastefully restored and the interior is an architectural masterpiece. And a great surprise, a free upgrade to a fantastic suite. The public rooms and corridors are restored Victorian masterpieces. Must revisit!
Only problem, restaurant is ordinary, never mind.....go for a curry next time.

Room Tip: Suites are beautiful
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2012
Dear Malcolm, thank you for your recent review following your stay with us last week. I really appreciate your comments regarding thehotel, the building itself, and the complimentary upgrade. I am pleased we looked after you.

Please let me know,in regards to the Restaurant,any specific areas we can improve upon.

Best Regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2012

A really grand old hotel. Beautiful columns, carpets and main rooms. A lovely entrance from the car park at the back of the hotel (free) takes you up a wooden ramp inside the hotel past old Leeds tiles on the wall and a porter's booth at the entrance to reception. Magic! The main staircase is very grand. Immacuate furnishings, carpets etc. We upgraded for £20 to an excecutive room which was newly furnished, decorated and immaculate, although the heating didn't work. We were immediately whisked to another warmer room. The service is very friendly and of a high standard; staff here are excellent. I've stayed elsewhere in the area and this is head and shoulders above the rest.

Breakfast was very good - eggs scrambled exactly as my wife likes them. Didn't eat in the hotel restaurant but can definitely recommend Bharat Indian restauarant for simple deco but outstanding food. Try the haddock starter!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Dear abcjx, thank you most sincerely for your very generous appraisal of the hotel following your recent stay.

I appreciate your overview of the hotel and its facilities, particularly the historical aspects such as the Victorian Passageway, we feel very proud and privileged to have such history in the hotel.

I will pass on your very kind comments to all the staff, who strive for excellence continually, and they appreciate the recognition of their commitment to the hotel.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel at some future date, but in the meantime thank you very much for your review.

Best Regards

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2011

This is a grand hotel in Central Bradford and is just marvellous. Big rooms and great staff. A very comfortable night.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank justmarriedCowes
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear Sir, thank you for your recent review of the hotel following your stay with us.

I believe that sometimes alot can be said in just a few words, and as the General Manager of this hotel I must say that you have done us proud with your review. Your comments up sum this beautiful property most succinctly .

Thank you and I hope that we have the pleasure of your company here once again before too long.

Kind Regards

Wales
Reviewed December 17, 2011

We took a trip to Grassington Dickensian Festival and this hotel was the one chosen by the holiday company as the base before we moved onto Castle Howard.
Although I have passed Bradford many times this was my first real visit and I was amazed at the quality of the buildings in Cheapside where the Midland is located. The Midland is a lovely old building itself, full of columns and beautiful staircases and has a real atmosphere, especially as this was a pre-Christmas trip for us.
The hotel staff had erected a giant Christmas tree in the foyer and there had been clearly a lot of effort made to create the right atmsophere...Bing Crosby would not have felt like he was a stranger here ..it could have come straight off the set of White Christmas!
The staff were welcoming and efficient. We stayed on the 3rd floor and the room was spacious and still retained some lovely period touches. The huge black tiled bathroom was classy and I have to say I have never had such a good shower in any hotel as I did here. Powerful jets of hot water would almost fill the bath in minutes if the plug had been left in.
We ate at the hotel and the service in the restaurant was first class and the staff were efficient and very pleasant. The food was excellent and I can thoroughly recommend it.
You would imagine that nothing could be faulted here..sadly there was a fly in the otherwise excellent ointment that is the Midland.
It may have been just because it was Christmas...or maybe not. But the night we stayed (Saturday) there was clearly a function of some kind taking place. The noise from this function was more than considerable. It reverberated in the room and I could clearly hear the DJ who seemed to think it was necessary to shout at the top of his voice to get himself heard. This was probably true as the music from the function was loud enough to hear the words of the songs being played. After a long day travelling this was a black mark as far as I was concerned.
In fairness to the hotel bang on 01.00 am the music and noise stopped and the rest of the night was peaceful and I managed to drop off to sleep pretty quickly in a very comfortable bed.
Breakfast the following day was excellent and plentiful, again the service was good.
Pity about the noisy night..I would have given the hotel 5 stars if it hadnt been for that. Maybe they just need to invest in some decent sound proofing for the function room, or just get them to turn the volume down.

Room Tip: Find out where the function room is and avoid rooms close to it. We spoke to fellow travellers and...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Travelling_Taffy
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2011
Dear Travelling_Taffy, thank you for having taken the time and trouble to post the review following your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that you were impressed overall by the hotel, and found the food and service to excellent, I appreciate your comments.
I am sorry that your sleep was disturbed by the Christmas Party's in the hotel, which hopefully did not detract from the overall enjoyment of your break in Yorkshire.

I hope to have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the not too distant future, but in the meantime may I take this opportunity in sending you and your family all the very best wishes from us all at the Midland Hotel for Christmas and New Year.

Thank you, and have a happy Christmas

barnsley
Reviewed December 12, 2011

very welcoming staff in the grandeur of a victorian hotel.
good,speedy check in ....executive room with massive bed and good facilities.
although the hotel was busy with xmas parties,we were well looked after.
good food,great staff,free parking....what more do you want?

so good we have booked return visits in january and febuary.

mark and michelle fisher.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2011
Dear Mr and Mrs Fisher, thank you for your kind words of appreciation, they are very warmly received by everyone at the hotel. I was a pleasure to have been of service to you last weekend, and what a pleasure it will indeed be to welcome you back again in January and February.

We collectively wish you a very happy and peaceful Christmas and a prosperous New Year, and we'll see you again in 2012.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2011

a lovely hotel friendly staff and a nice welcome from them we had a nice room and the food was good but service a bit slow.My only complaint was the hair dryer wasn t very and the bath room door squeaked annoyning when you had to use it at night!!!!!!!!!!!!
All in all a lovely place

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
Dear Bruno715, thank you for taking the time and trouble in writing to Tripadvisor with your comments following your recent stay at the Midland Hotel. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your weekend, apart from the bathroom door sqeaking abit, I am really sorry if that disturbed you. I will have my maintenance team look at the door and remedy this problem forthwith.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future, but in the meantime thank you once again and may I extend our very best wishes to you and your family for the forthcoming festive season.

Warm Regards