“Deserves its ranking”

Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Derby, United Kingdom
“Deserves its ranking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

I have stayed here twice, but admittedly not for about a year. That said, I have been here a couple of times and as such it deserves a mention.

The first time I checked in, travel-stained and weary, I was welcomed with a complimentary glass of wine at reception which was a most welcome surprise. The staff are invariably polite, coolly efficient, very attentive, and very professional. One can tell that one is staying at a superior establishment from that perspective alone.

This hotel is extremely interesting architecturally, and reminds me of the MacDonald Burlington (I think it's called) in Birmingham (see: relevant review) as it used to be an old railway hotel in Victorian times, and has lost little of its olde worlde charm, and is far removed from the bland, post-modern linear blocks that owe more to sixties high-rise concrete ghetto chic (if that be the word) than any form of inspired constructivist invention. In other words, it's actually nice to look at internally and externally, just like me :-)

I was given a honeymoon suite first time (nope, I was on my own lol) which consisted of a spacious room you could frolic in and roll around in to your heart's content (maybe a cunning part of this room's ulterior purpose!), with a very wide and comfortable four-poster bed and large bathroom, equipped with what one would expect toiletry-wise at this end of the market. Plenty of storage space, too, if you're burdened with those innumerable knick-knacks that you simply can't bear to travel without.

The dining room is splendid, a study in elegant and refined ambience which may seem a bit out of character in such chilly northern climes bereft of the urbane sophistication of cosmolopitan London hostelries, or wherever. But, it is truly a decent place to eat a good, wholesome breakfast and waited on by friendly and personable staff who know what they're doing.

The hotel also boasts a reasonably-sized bar, populated by comfortable chairs, stout polished tables and pleasing if rather bland background musak. From that approach at least it's a step up from that dreadful place in Bangkok where they played a cocktail version of AC/DC's Highway to Hell. Too, too ghastly for words!

Regarding the hotel's location, it's slightly removed from the beating heart of Bradford's city centre and nightlife, such as it is. It sits adjacent to a huge boarded wasteland more reminiscent of the old Communist era Berlin Wall that, apparently, was meant to be a new shopping mall until the recession occurred and that was that. No regeneration, just a sad metaphor for what this city has now become. For a native Bradfordian, it's heartbreaking gazing out at this monument to failed entrepreneurialism from your 5-star window. How ironic.

Anyway, if you're going to Bradford for whatever reason, do try it. It's a good hotel in every sense of the word, and I would not hesitate to recommend it. It's a bit pricier than the average in this city, but hey you get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Dear DoctorDarkeDerby,

Thank most kindly for your review of the hotel on 17th September, I am delighted to have received such favourable comments particularly from one who has stayed in quality hotels often. I actually enjoyed reading your review not only for the most generous comments regarding the hotel, its facilities, staff and food, but your humorous comparisons to other hotels and cities that you have visited. It is a great shame that Bradford has suffered in recent years, but I am sure that this once great city will move on to enjoy a bigger and better reputation in years to come.

I would like to thank you for the time taken in writing this review, it is most kind of you indeed and the team and I appreciate it very much. I hope to make your acquaintance next time you visit Bradford, in order to thank you personally, and hopefully welcome you back to the Midland Hotel. I hope that by then Westfield will have also commenced the adjacent new Shopping centre, and the retail heart will be back in Bradford.

With sincere gratitude

Kind Regards

Gary Peacock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Polish first
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

Before I decided to celebrate my 40th birthday party at the Midland Hotel, I was already a big fan as I used the hotel quite regularly for business meetings and getting together with friends for lunch. This is a hotel with very small staff turnover due to the excellence of the manager Gary Peacock and the commitment of the long serving staff, therefore, you certainly feel like a guest and not a number when you visit this hotel. To sum up the hotel, the staff are very welcoming and cannot do enough to help you, the rooms are beautifully presented, clean and comfortable, the food is excellent whether it is a meeting buffet or a restaurant style lunch and the hotel overall is just a fabulous oldy worldy hotel with beautiful rooms for all occasions(not to mention the magnificent chandeliers). I held my 40th Blingtastic Birthday Party in the Prince's Ballroom and I will never forget the evening for the rest of my life. A big part of this was due to the attentiveness of the staff. I have also attended the New Years Ball which is another fabulous, professional and fun occasion with mouthwatering food delivered to the hightst of standards. The Chandeliers are there for you to see all year around but another speciality of this hotel is the yearly Christmas tree. They always have one of the hugest and prettiest real Christmas trees for miles around. Anyone who uses this hotel for whatever reason, will not be disappointed. Please enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Dear Julie T,
I am sincerely bowled over by the generosity of your compliments in this review of the Midland Hotel, thank you so very much. It is always a daily pleasure for us to be of service to our guests, and we take great satisfaction in a job well done when our guests are happy, particularly when we receive such complimentary feedback. I also appreciate your recognition of our very low staff turnover, which I believe is the key to our excellent customer care over the years.
It is extremely kind of you to have taken the time and trouble to write with your comments, and it has always been a pleasure to have been of service to you and your husband.

Hopefully I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel before too long, perhaps even to check out our Huge Christmas Tree again this year in December.

In the meantime thank you once again

England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

We had two nights in this hotel. We had only booked a few hours previously when we had been staying in nearby Halifax. When we arrived - slighly before check in time- the receptionist couldn't immediately find our reservation and invited us to sit and have coffee whilst we waited. She was utterly charming and very efficient. We were allowed to check in early and found our room was spacious comfortable and meticulously clean. Dinner in the restaurant that evening was excellent and we were well satisfied. Breakfast was everything one would want and the staff again were very attentive. The deal we were on offered us the possibility of going to an Indian restaurant on one of the nights and so on the second evening we decided to opt for that. The hotel arranged and paid a taxi for us. It arrived exactly on time. The restaurant, the name of which I forget, was very enjoyable. There was a smallish set menu from which we were able to choose things that we were quite happy with. I think we might have preferred an "allowance" towards the meal with our paying whatever was extra so as to have had a full choice of the a la cartre menu - indeed that may well have been possible but we didn't enquire. With regard to the restaurant I would say that we were gently "steered" into the first room which had windows onto the street and I can quite understand why. Not unnaturally the restaurant wants others to see they have customers. However if I went again I think I would gently resist and head for the back room which seemed to be where all the locals were headed and it had a much livelier atmosphere. All in all it was a very enjoyable evening - great food and attentive service. We were given a card to give to the waiter with the number to call the taxi for our return. Again this was prepaid. It was an interesting an enjoyable experience. and all so well organised. So, would we go to the Midland again - absolutely, we will, we loved everythihg about it. The management should be very proud of the team that they have.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Grechophile,
I am responding to the review that you have made following your recent stay at the Midland Hotel. Thank you so very much for your kinds words, your comments are gratefully received by myself and the team here at the Midland. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay and that you found our new Package, including the option of dining out experience at Zouk to be so enjoyable.
I have reviewed your comments regarding the Asian Restaurant, and I have this morning arranged for an allowance to be made on the full A la Carte menu, in order to give our guests more choice and value. Thank you very much for your feedback on this, I am grateful as this will now improve the offer for our future guests.

I look forward to being of service to you again, in the not too distant future, but in the meantime thank you once again.

Best Regards

Salford, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

Stayed here for one night in August for a family wedding and couldn't fault anything, even tho we got stuck in the lift for a few minutes due to a short power cut in the area :0) .

Rooms were spotless, staff were really personable and helpful, breakfast was lovely and the hotel itself is a real gem within Bradford. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Dear Lisa2053, thank you for your review of the Midland Hotel on 30th August, I am very appreciative of you having taken the time and trouble to write your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed the Wedding, the Staff and the facilities in the hotel, despite the power cut in the city leading to you being stuck temporarily in the lift.
Your phrase 'real gem' is one I've heard before; used by other discerning guests, and it is taken as a genuine compliment as it means so much when said by guests that appreciate standards, quality and value.

Mr Gary Peacock
Loughton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

A good, solid hotel with an old fashioned style in the public areas that reminded me of the good old days of station hotels. The lobby is really quite grand with loads of spaces to chill out, relax, have a drink or use the wifi. The rooms however are a bit dated and the bathroom needed refurbishment. Ghastly view over a kind of shaft and heavy furnishings. Huge old TV with five channels and corridors that reminded me of the Shining. I am sure it is haunted, and can be quite creepy walking down the corridors at night or when peaking into disused ball rooms!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear AndyWildman, thank you for your most recent review following your stay at the Midland Hotel in August. I found your general appreciation of the hotel most welcoming, and indeed some have said over the years that the hotel could well be haunted. I can assure you that the usage of both our beautiful Ballrooms is quite significant, as these two magnificent rooms are very sort after within Bradford and West Yorkshire. Certainly not 'disused'.
In regards to your room, we have an on-going refurbishment programme within our bedrooms stock, and the differences in our Standard, Premium and Executive rooms are reflected in the pricing. I'm sorry if you were allocated a room that seemed a bit dated, but I'm sure that the duty manager would only have been more than happy to arrange an alternative for you if you were not totally satisfied.
Thank you once again for your review it is most appreciated.

Mr Gary Peacock
Cardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights and was impressed with the standard of cleanliness and even more important the quality of the staff. Everyone was so polite and helpful and pleasant and they are a credit to the hotel.I had a very courteous welcome and was offered a welcome glass of wine after a long and arduous journey. The food in the restaurant was very tasty, hot and fresh. I had breakfast in my room once and it was well presented and very nice. The other days I had breakfast in the dining room and the toast the first day was barely cooked, limp and cold but the next day, as I mentioned this, it was greatly improved. My only other criticism is that music in the bar in the evenings would have been nice. Also, there was a religious group staying in the hotel and during the evening, they went through a ritual of some sort of group hug in the public bar. My colleagues and I found this very uncomfortable and disconcerting.

Room Tip: Ask for 127 if you are a non smoker!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2011
Dear Royal Lady, can I take this opportunity in not only thanking you for your very favourable comments regardng the hotel staff, but also for choosing to stay at the Midland Hotel. I am delighted that you have commented so highly on the staff, who always strive for excellent customer service, and the good food in room service and breakfast. I am sorry that the music seems to have not been working during your stay, and I have asked my Maintenance team to check this, although it did seem to be OK over the weekend. I can appreciate that you and your colleagues felt somewhat uncomfortable with the actions of the younger around the bar area, and I am sorry that they did not choose to do this in their private dinning area. I will speak with the group organiser.
Thank you sincerely, and I look forward to be of service to you again in the future.

With kind regards

Gedney Hill
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

This is a lovely hotel as far as service, food, cleanliness and the public rooms go. Unfortuantely the bedrooms, while clean and comfortable and with good facilities, aren't quite as good - orange wardrobe doors and blue curtains with orange rectangles, for example... the violent colour scheme wasn't exactly restful and the paintwork was a bit shabby. The floor of my room had a very loud creak no matter how carefully I walked across it, so I hope I didn't disturb anyone in the room below! I regret to say that at one point during the evening (for a short time only), there was quite a strong smell of sewage from outside: it's an old building and perhaps the plumbing needs updating too.

A huge compliment to the chef for the meal I had. Quite probably the best melon starter I have ever had, and the lamb main course was superb. The waitress even managed to find me a slice of lemon torte (not on the menu) for dessert, which was just what I wanted. So that was all-round excellent food and service, in a lovely room.

I've stayed here several times before and the quality of service and food is consistently excellent. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for good value for money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Mrs Jeffries, thank you so much for you review following your recent stay at the hotel, I am very appreciative of you having taken the time and trouble to post your comments. Your recognition of the overall standard of service, food and cleanliness in the hotel is very well received, thank you, and I am particularly delighted with the comments regarding your Dinner in the restaurant. I will certainly pass on your kind comment to my Head Chef.
I have, this morning, investigated both the squeaky floor boards in the bedroom and indeed the strange smell. Both issues have received prompt attention from our maintenance team, and I am very grateful for you having brought these issues to my attention. I am genuinely sorry that you do not like our Premium contemporary bedroom scheme, and I will ensure that we allocate you another room in future.
I would like to offer you my most sincere thanks, as without reviews from our loyal guests we can never improve our standards of performance.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again very soon.