“Exceeding expectations”
Review of Midland Hotel

Midland Hotel
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Overall, this hotel I felt was superb. The whole experience fromstart to finish and excellent value for money. A large double room was about £80 B&B. On arriving I was pleased to find a free of charge car park, welcomed by the newly renovated Victorian theme and decor of the old railway hotel and offered a complimentary glass of wine. From there the rest of the stay was excellent. Food in room service was well presented, tasty and excellent value and incurred no tray charges. The room was airy, clean and included free wi fi. The bathroom was spotless. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2011

Dear 'thesplatster' may I thank you for your very generous comments regarding the hotel following your recent stay with us. I would like to personally thank you for noticing the small ways that we go the extra mile for our guests, and improve both value for money and the overall experience. As a company that cares about our guests, service is paramount and I would like to thank my staff for ensuring they maintained our standards and provided you with an experience that 'exceeded your expectations'.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future, however in the meantime thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed June 5, 2011

Stayed at the Midland for a 'FunctionEvening' recently. Very friendly,attentive staff. Excellent newly refurbished rooms, coupled with lovely 'characterful' main areas and function rooms make this a very comfortable hotel. We arrived a little early and were provided with a complimentary pot of coffee in the lounge whilst our room was being finished and then found that all our luggage etc had been taken to the room for us, with suits etc hung in the wardrobes.Nice touch. Meals were very good too. Would certainly go back

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2011

Dear JohnSterlingBucks, thank you very much indeed for your review following your recent stay. I am so pleased that you found the hotel, and its service to be good enough to use the word 'Excellent', which is this day and age means alot to us as we strive to acheive as you rightly say 'Old fashioned' standards. I appreciate your comments very much, and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I look forward to be of service to you once again in the future, but in the meantime may I offer a sincere thank you from all the Staff and Management of the Midland Hotel.

Reviewed May 10, 2011

In an age of corporate hotels with exactly the same offering The Midland offers something different, a personal and friendly service, no blue print for room layout and good value.
I stay at The Midland frequently and when in Bradford would never stay at any other hotel (and I’ve been to most of them).
I would also highly recommend the front bar (better feel than the bar located next to Reception and cheaper!) as Matthew (the main barman) was friendly, informative and entertaining. Bar meals are also top notch as well.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2011

I would like to thank you for your most favourable review, and I am delighted to know that you appreciate the quality of both the facilities and the staff of the Midland Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive such generous comments and I will certainly pass them on to all the staff but particularly Mathew in the Midland Bar; he is a real asset to us and thank you for recognising this.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Midland Hotel on your next business trip to Bradford and I will assure you of my persoanl attention at all times.

Kind Regards

Reviewed May 5, 2011

We have just spent a long weeked and the Midland Hotel, returning after spending New Year there too. The Hotel has loads of history and the building has two superb entrances. We were looked after by the staff exceptionally well as always with nothing too much trouble and the food is excellent. Although an old building the rooms have been refurbished to a very high standard.

Room Tip: Opt for a De-luxe room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2011

Thank you for your most generous comments regarding your stay at the Midland Hotel over last weekend. I am delighted that you enjoyed your return visit to the hotel, and I will pass on your appreciation to all of my staff. I hope that we might welcome you back again in the not too distant future, but in the meantime thank you once again. It is always a pleasure to be of service to you.

Best Regards

Reviewed April 20, 2011

I bought a "Gold Voucher" for my partner for Christmas, which was fantastic value and allowed us to have 2 nights DB&B in an executive room. We really enjoyed the hotel, the room was immaculate, the food was excellent and the service was tremendous. We were very impressed by the feel of the hotel, it feels special and is SO much nicer than a modern building with no history.

We didnt spend much time in Bradford instead taking the train to Leeds for some power shopping (about 5 mins walk to station and 20 mins journey).

Within a couple of weeks of returning home, we had to book another weekend away later in the year (thanks Wendy from Peel Hotels!).

We stay in hotels regularly and can honestly say that we judge this hotel to be a cut above.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2011

I have just received notification of you having posted your review, and may I take this opportunity in thanking you most sincerely for your very complimentary comments. My staff will be delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, and I am grateful for your feedback as they all work very hard and guest satisfaction is paramount.

I hope to have the honour of welcoming you back to the Midland Hotel at some future date. However, in the meantime, thank you for choosing Peel Hotels, and Wendy passes on her best regards to you.

Best Regards

Reviewed March 20, 2011

We have just returned from a weekend stay at the midland hotel (18th march) and i just had to leave a review as from the moment we entered the hotel to the time we checked out we were looked after by friendly efficient staff. This hotel has some great rooms with lots of history and character and right in the city centre, 7 of us booked a stay here for a family get together and we wheren't dissappointed, checkin was quick and efficient with a smile and a complimentary glass of wine (very nice touch) our rooms where lovely, very clean with great bathrooms we stayed in rooms: 146, 139 and 4 poster 239.
our evening meals along with our breakfast were excellent the food and the service couldn't be faltered. i cannot reccomend this hotel enough we will be booking and staying again next may for a family birthday. it's nice to see a hotel appreciate and look after its guests as this is sadly not always the case, thankyou again to all the staff at the midland hotel keep up the good work.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2011

Thank you so very much for your kind comments regarding your stay with us over last weekend, I really appreciate you having taken the time and trouble to write this review. It is a pleasure for us all to have of service to you and your family, and your comments will be extremely well recieved by all the staff and management. It is definitely a boost for us all when we receive such kind feedback, and we are collectively delighted that you and your family had such a great weekend with us.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel next May, but in the meantime thank you once again.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 10, 2011

Our extended family (8 people) had lunch in the bar area/foyer on a Saturday afternoon. We were very comfortable and enjoyed the elegant surroundings. Although there did not appear to be many other customers, it was a while before we had our orders taken. This was possibly because there only seemed to one waitress on duty. However we didn't really mind as we were enjoying the family get toghter. The food when it arrived was very tasty but I had an unpleasant shock when I found a thistle in a mouthful of salad. My main complaint is that when the waitress was notified of this she was very dismissive stating that it wasn't HER fault and on her return from reporting it to the chef, did not even stand still to offer an apology, instead just threw a general 'sorry' in our direction. Following this, she remained behind the bar. We would have liked to order coffees etc but instead we paid the bill and left ,as we really felt that she wasn't bothered.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank lawnmowerqueen
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2011

Thank you for writing your review. Firstly can I offer you my personal apologies for the incident during your recent visit to the Midland Hotel. The initial response to your finding something unwanted in your food was unprofessional on our part, and for this I sincerely apologise.
We have a policy in the event of an occasion such as this, and the issue should have been brought to the attention of the Duty Manager immediately by the member of staff. Your comments have highlighted a deficiency in training which will be rectified by the Operations Manager, with particular reference to complaint handling. I apologise for the poor way in which your complaint was dealt with and the subsequent disinterest shown to you by the member if staff. The chef will also investigate with his team and supplier, how a thistle stalk got into the sealed bag of lettuce leaves, and was unseen by the chef before it was served. I would also like to thank you for your positive comments regarding the quality of the food, despite the incident; that is very kind.

Your review has given me the opportunity to assess our performance, and improve training and policies for the comfort and satisfaction of future guests, and I really appreciate you having taken the time to have made your comments known.

I look forward to being of service to you and your family again in the future.