“Good location but average rooms”

Great Victoria Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Bradford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Southern England
Reviewed May 21, 2013

On arrival, it was good to find a good sized barriered car park. Reception was manned by a guy who seemed to know what he was doing. We had booked a “Luxury Suite” online, but the first room we were given, turned out to be only a standard en-suite room. On returning to reception, we discussed the differences between a suite and an en-suite and were given the key to a suite. Well, that's if you call a separate room with two tub chairs a desk and a wardrobe but no TV, plus a room so small there was only a bed with a wall mounted TV with an adjoining bathroom, a suite. So that's what we got. Forgive us, but when we book something with “luxury” in the title, we expect a fridge, water, tissues, maybe robes, slippers, body lotion and a welcome tray with biscuits, all of which were definitely absent.

Once we had accepted that it wasn’t going to be a luxury experience, we were able to be a little more objective about the hotel. Very wide corridors, high ceilings, public areas kept nicely, very relaxing lounge areas, friendly staff. Sadly the rooms have not been that well updated over the years, but ours, at least, was clean and warm.

For the past nineteen years we have been coming to Bradford each year, for the Bradford Film Festival, Wide Screen Weekend. Over the years we have stayed at various places including the Hilton (mediocre) and the Midland (very nice) and for the first time now the Great Victoria.

Breakfast was a pleasant experience on Friday and Monday, with table service for cooked breakfast and a reasonable selection of cereals, fresh fruit, dried fruit and nuts and pastries. However, Saturday was the worst experience, a coach party was in and everything went self serve, the continental selection was much reduced and the hot Buffett was sadly devoid of bacon on at least two occasions leaving us waiting some ten minutes before a fresh supply was available. Friends who arrived about 15 minutes later had a fifteen minute wait for bacon. Sunday was the same self service arrangement but without a coach load in, it seemed to be much better. Monday saw the return of a calm and relaxing experience more suitable and worthy of the lovely dining room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

stayed on saturday for one night, went with travelstye coach trip to Haworth. stayed in a super room 215 room for three people. lovely and warm very clean, plug missing on arrival called reception dealt with it straight away plug delivered to room in minutes. excellent staff on reception and in restaurant.not only trained well and very good at there work , very friendly. would go back and stay again if in the area.was late for dinner so given table on our own in a different area even better, great dinner and excellent breakfast. could not fault hotel my compliments to the management team.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel a few years ago it was very nice the room was spacious and clean and the decor was nice too. I was there on business and I enjoyed my stay. They also have a stylish lobby and downstairs bar I didnt eat at their restaurant. I also went recently but for an event which was really nice in there function room. I took a look at the best room in the hotel its great would like to stay in there in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Almost the worst experience I've ever had in a hotel but for the fact I didn't make it as far as sleeping there. Checked in after a ten minute wait for someone at reception to acknowledge me (they were on the phone). Basically spent the first hour trying to get the internet to work as I was staying on business. No luck so I checked with reception and was aasked if I had the password right, which I did as I checked upon check-in. Then I was told the internet wasing working anyway! What! So why did it matter if I had the password right? Total Fawlty Towers experience. 'Oh well it's not working anyway'. Well after a 26+ hour flight from New Zealand I had some work to do so I decided to check into the Hilton around the corner. I went to reception to check out and was told I'd have to pay for the full stay to which I was in no mood to discuss, but in the event I was just charged for that one night/two hours. Unfortunately when processing my payment the staff member messed up the decimal point in the payment and charged me just 60 pence. No big deal, I didn't sign the credit card reciept and we did it again correctly and I signed for the $60.00 (approx). When I get my next credit card statement I was billed both amounts. Only 60 pence but should they not have cancelled that transaction given it was an error and I didn't sign for it?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank PBrobbel

Travelers are raving about these Bradford hotels

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel with a lovely character. Cannot believe we paid so little. Beats chain hotels hands down and it's great to see someone has invested generously in such a great building. It was just a shame there were not more people on a bank holiday weekend as this would of added to the atmosphere. Bradford has a lot to offer and is stemed in history of which this hotel shows off to its best.

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We had our wedding venue at great victoria
And megan the hotel manager made it the most stress free day of our lives and the most memorable. Her attension to detail was outstanding the staff were helpfull and couldnt do enough for us and our guests.
All in all i would say a massive thank you from me and my wife and we look forward to having our anniversary nights in the penthouse in years to come thanks

• Stayed April 2013