“Good pub food...”
Review of The Fox and Hounds

The Fox and Hounds
Ranked #46 of 247 Restaurants in Chichester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: The Fox & Hounds pub & restaurant offers fine dining in relaxed, elegant surroundings in the charming village of Funtington, near Chichester in West Sussex, boasting a truly fantastic wine list, well-stocked bar with a wide range of real ales, large garden and impeccable, friendly service.We are open for breakfast and serve meals all day. we are famous for our Sunday Carvery and traditional pub atmosphere. We are be opening our own Village shop in Early 2013
England
“Good pub food...”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Had a an early evening meal last Friday evening. The ambiance was pleasant, the service was very good and the food was nicely cooked. I had the belly pork which was delicious, but only just found the small very amount of vegetables hidden underneath!
For a pub meal the prices for all courses was on the high side, which was a bit of a disappointment.

• Visited November 2013

Southern England
“Just short of perfect”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My wife had booked a table for Lunch as a Birthday surprise for me, we turned up and were shown to a nice table just past the glass covered well in the floor. As I was walking in I had seen the "Specials" menu and had already made my choice before I sat down. The chance of Venison Liver, Bacon, Mustard Mash, Savoy Cabbage and a Calvados Jus was too good an opportunity to miss. As there were three of us we chose the "sharing" starter of Baked Camembert, it was just excellent, and just the right size.

My meal came out, and it was a very well presented, with balanced flavours and just the right sized portion. Why was it just short of perfect, for my taste the Liver was just a little over done. Other people may have liked that, but I do like mine just a little pink.

Would I go back, most definitely, would I recommend it to others, again most definitely. A very enjoyable experience, and very good food.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Surveyor47
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Proper English Pub”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Took the family for a pub meal in the country and gave this one a go on the counsel of the in laws. They were absolutely spot on.
The country pub thing hits you as you open the doors to be greeted by the low beams and the smell of a proper wood fire. We were lead to a comfy table at the back of the pub and presented with the menu, a mix of the usual pub fayre but with a mix of dishes that would grace masterchef to some delicious sounding open sandwiches and chips.

Prices are in the "fair enough" category, mains in the £7-15 category with monster steaks over the £20 mark but from what we ate I reckon that will be a quality bit of beef.

We opted for a homemade pie at £9.50 with chips veg and gravy.

Now all too often the pie is a lie, a bowl of filling with a sad pastry disc on top but not this particular pie. Handmade golden shortcrust cuddled around delicious well seasoned interiors, I took steak and ale Mrs Tiny the chicken and mushroom. These came with a little bucket of hand cut chips of the highest order, and the veg was something truly special.

Now I am not a veg lover, more salad dodger if you will, but these were worth a paragraph on their own. Red cabbage, fresh peas, yes fresh not frozen, carrots and the mystery veg that prompted a lively table debate bbut in the end we were all wrong, it was mooli, and bloddy delicious it was too.

Desserts at £5.50 a little pricey until you tasted them, nothing pinged in the microwave here real attention to detail and scrumptious. I thought how often you order the dessert at £3.95 but when it comes you wish they would charge you £5.50 and given you a homemade one like we had. Walnut tart and lotted cream ice cream, and American blueberry pancakes with maple syrup and proper vanilla.

Service was charming and friendly, perhaps could have been a touch more attentive but we were late lunchers and it had been busy, only minor flaw in an epic performance.

2 pints of very nourishing well kept ale enhanced the meal, and the urge to grab a small one settle in front of the fire with my dog and ask the missus to pop back at around 6 almost overwhelmed me.

This is a beautiful example of what a proper british pub should be, I raise my glass to owners and staff alike.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Tinym32
Chichester, United Kingdom
“very pleasant”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The service is very good and the food arrives hot. Didnt have to wait too long either. The staff are very good and quite pleasant and are happy to help and also pleanty of room.

Visited October 2013
Emsworth, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place to hold a function”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

I Had my 21st birthday party upstairs in the function room. Lovely room set up, food was fantastic and staff were excellent. Perfect place for a party or dinner party. Would highly recommend!

Visited October 2013