“Well worth a visit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Fox and Hounds

The Fox and Hounds
Ranked #46 of 236 Restaurants in Chichester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Fox & Hounds pub & restaurant offers fine dining in relaxed, elegant surroundings in the charming village of Funtington, near Chichester in West Sussex, boasting a truly fantastic wine list, well-stocked bar with a wide range of real ales, large garden and impeccable, friendly service.We are open for breakfast and serve meals all day. we are famous for our Sunday Carvery and traditional pub atmosphere. We are be opening our own Village shop in Early 2013
Chesterfield
“Well worth a visit!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

What a gorgeous place to eat. The first thing you notice is the warm welcome of a log burner and open fire in the main bar area. The dinning area is large spacious. The staff attentive and polite. The specials board added an extra dimension to the main menu and gave you the chance to try something a little different. The food was well cooked and Gastro Pub style food. However, the new style menu format with photographs of food sadly gave the impression of a cheap and cheerful chain pub rather than the quality Gastro pub that it is.

We went with my wife's brother and sister-in-law who visit this pub quite frequently and they were disappointed to see the Lamb's Liver was no longer on the menu!!!
Finally we were located directly in front off the till and main staff meeting point. We could have asked to be moved and I'm sure they would have done as it was a little too busy near to our table.

Overall a very pleasant meal and evening was had in this lovely pub.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Michael F

HANTS
“Dont present a pie as a tart!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Chalk board stated, Steak, Onion and Stilton Pie. Well what more you ask for? The answer is a lot lot more. After it was placed on the table I would have liked a proper pie. What was plated was a small tablet of mashed swede, with a croquette potatoe placed atop! Then the mini "steak, onion and stilton" tartlet placed aside! I paid £10 for this, felt I was served a very tasty starter., but it should have been billed as such. I then approached a couple of other diners who had also ordered this chalk board special, we all felt the same, cheated!. Should have complained at the time, but this would not have reasonable to the paying person. Would never come back.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank WOWOSHants
Foxand H, Owner at The Fox and Hounds, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
I was disappointed to read that you had not had a positive experience at the Fox and Hounds.
I was unaware of any of any problems relating to the tart/pie as the only feedback I received was positive.
I understand that you did not want to seem discourteous to your paying host, however, I would strongly encourage anyone who has any problem or complaint, to bring it to our attention. We are always happy to do whatever we can to recitify the matter.
I have brought your point to the attention of my partner, the head chef.
I do hope you return to us and get a chance to have a much more enjoyable experience.

Louise Genrey
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Real Ale at Fox”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We are regular visitors to the Fox and remember its previous incarnations - both successful and otherwise . We feel it has never been better as a place to sit comfortably and enjoy a pint. There is always a good and changing selection of well kept ales and an excellent selction of nuts etc. We have yet to try the food but will do so soon.
Ther are often sussex ales on offer - including Dark Star, King's, Hepworths and more... It is puzzling that the one ale always on offer is Timothy Taylors 'Landlord' from Keithley Yorkshire and also, since last autumn Otter Amber from Honiton in Devon. Both are amber ales and bothe are excellent BUT could Sussex ales replace them as the 'standards' as we do live in sussex. What about Ballards or Arundel - our closest breweries. Our personal choice would be Dark Star who have an excellent selection of ales to rotate and whose ales are already frequent 'visitors'

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank stevejenny5051
Arundel, United Kingdom
“Popular pub, food ok only”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Have dined here on a couple of Sunday lunchtimes.
The atmosphere is very good and it's always busy. Parking can be tricky if the car park is full.
Main Dining Room lacks a bit of character, whereas tables in the main Bar are probably better but busier with footflow.
Staff all pleasant and efficient. Food delivered in good time.
Carvery lunch (£11) is a little disappointing - the Chef carves from a choice of 3 meats but only provides 3 average sized slices - not for the hungry! The veg are self-serve & tasty but the roast potatoes look like they're frozen or reheated. Surely not difficult to cook fresh roast spuds?! A shame. Puds all good though.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank OutnAbout007
Havant
“Lovely pub, great beer and a good Sunday roast”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I love this pub....she loves the wine selection and I love the real ales!! They had four ales on tap, two from Sussex brewers Long Man and Ballards and from further away Adnams and Otter but the real treat is that you can order a flight of three 1/3rd pint measures for the price of a pint so you can try more and find your favourite. Apart from Wetherspoons beer festivals I have never seen this offered in other pubs but let us hope others will follow suit (assuming they sell more than two real ales of course!!). The star turn on a Sunday is the carvery although other selections were available including fish cakes, scampi, hot/cold sandwiches, etc. It was our daughters 20th birthday treat and she loves roast dinners although I have to say we can take or leave them. However, the three of us selected the carvery and the beef was delicious but the pork our daughter chose was even better (turkey is the third option plus nut roast for veggies). The accompaniments were roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese, swede, red cabbage, peas plus yorkshire puds, stuffing balls and gravy all beautifully cooked and a bargain at £11. Please give the real ales and the food a try!!

• Visited January 2013