“The best views of the South Downs”

Cass Sculpture Foundation
Ranked #9 of 66 things to do in Chichester
More attraction details
Owner description: Where else in the world can you see over 70 specially commissioned monumental sculptures in an idyllic landscape, and all for sale?
Reviewed May 31, 2014

The gardens are in one of the most spectacular places in England. Stunning views peppered with amazing art pieces. There's no pretentiousness here, you wander around the gardens, touch the exhibits. There is such a variety that there is something for everyone to enjoy. This is a perfect way to spend an afternoon with a picnic. Loads for kids to explore, and great to hear they offer mobility scooters. Highly recommended.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

We visited the Cass Sculpture Foundation last week and really enjoyed it one of our group had hurt his back but they happily lent us a mobility scooter foc which helped, the manager/receptionist was so welcoming and helpful it was a joy! worth a visit

Reviewed May 27, 2014

A beautiful setting for a wonderful range of pieces. I've been here a few times and always felt as if it's just us and a few other visitors enjoying a peaceful day: although I am sure it is well attended, it is large enough and laid out so that you don't keep bumping into people . Allow 3+ hours (probably a lot more if you like to take your time over the pieces) to cover the whole area or buy an annual pass and split it into a few smaller trips (maybe pop up there with a little picnic! and sit on one of the interesting benches they have dotted around).

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Apart from problems finding the place (your sat nav may take you down a very long farm road with a tempting view of some of the pieces, but no admission to the grounds) this is a wonderful place to visit. If you like BIG art in beautiful countryside then the £12.50 entrance is well worth the price.
We were greeted by a wonderfully enthusiastic member of staff, who clearly loved what she was involved in. Make sure you speak to a member of staff, as it is interesting to hear how the Cass Sculpture Foundation was created, and continues to invest in artists old and new.
We were blessed with a warm spring afternoon and this enhanced the stroll around the exhibits. We arrived late (they are trying to get more directions / road signs put up in the area) and stayed two hours, up to closing time. This was sufficient, but you can take all day if you wish, and there is a picnic area overlooking outstanding views.
The exhibits are varied in style, so if you like sculptures, there will be something that will grab your attention - for me there were four fantastic exhibits that really excited me, but others also made me think / laugh / stand in awe, and some of course I just didn't get.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

I enjoyed visiting Cass much more than I thought I would. I had thought the sculpture park would be filled with pompous, pretentious "art". Actually, it doesn't take itself too seriously.

The majority of the sculpture seems to be created by sexually frustrated men judging by the obsession with dark orifices and feminine form. The rest is the product of psychotropic pharmaceuticals (probably). Take for example, The verdegris elephant with a trumpet head riding a bicycle or the bollards that adorn the Kennels frontage called "Snowman, Hourglass, Peg and Penis", you can guess why.

I'm glad I went but I wonder why when the sculptures cost tens/hundreds of thousand of pounds, why one must pay £10 each to get in. Perhaps they don't sell many. Don't see why?