“Original, friendly and delicious - great cakes and coffee”
Review of Whipped & Baked - CLOSED

Whipped & Baked
Description: In this lifetime, there are Pedlars of Baked Decadence who are keepers of your edible guilty pleasures. Mere mortals who are fairygodmothers of sugar-dusted frivolities. With an alchemy of egg, butter, sugar magic and the desire to engineer candy-coated giddiness, WHIPPED & BAKED is here to put froufrou back into handcrafted cakes. Come meet FlourVonSponge, the cake charmer of the South at her quirky Chichester bakery and sample her delectable creations.
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Hurrah for an original independent amid the sea of bland chain cafes that threaten to drown Chichester. Whipped & Baked is tucked down a side street off the top of North Street, and I just hope that it's location doesn't put people off.

We ventured in after admiring its quirky and wholly-unlike-anything-else-in-Chichester decor, which is a mix of vintage / artisan bakery / glitzy grunge. But more important than the superficial look of the place is the produce and the ethos...

1. The produce: coffee was excellent, our cakes were scrumptious (husband had the melt in your mouth flapjack and I had the light but packed with nuts Hummingbird Cake), and the loaf of Bavarian Sour Dough bread we took home was beautifully baked and very tasty.

2. The ethos: it's independently owned and run, and all the produce is baked by individuals not factories. They also have a wonderful policy of giving out free hot drinks to homeless people, which we customers can support by giving £1

2  Thank Holly_M_99

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I popped into this quirky coffee shop with my daughter just on the off-chance. We had amazingly gorgeous cakes (lemony, meringuey and caramel flapjacky), both unique and delicious. The seating is comfortable and individual. Red leather seats and drums...
Coffee was good and we left with a freshly baked focaccia. Well worth the detour from North Street and great to find an independent outlet in central Chichester.

2  Thank doodle59
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Coffee excellent and delicious home-made macaroons, friendly and pleasant service. Its a pity that there is only space for a few lucky customers in the non-corporate oasis.

Great bread for sale from Chichester own artisan bakeries - 3* of them!!!. We didn't know they existed - there is a distinct lack of retail outlets for local foods. The bread is delicious too - Bavarian sourdough with caraway seeds mmmmmmm - from a baker in St James Industrial. Do local bread shops supply this local bread?
They sell local veg too and lots of other home-baked cakes.

*The Hungry Guest Baker does supply some of its bread to Waitrose and the full range is available from their shop in Petworth.

1  Thank stevejenny5051
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Visiting Chichester late one Monday morning, I sought ought Whipped & Baked, having read about it on the Internet. It's a delightful independent coffee shop and bakery on a quiet side street. I admired the array of different kinds of bread along one wall and then had a look at the savouries and cakes. It was hard to choose but I decided on a Sussex charmer, which is flaky pastry with caramelised onions, cheese and mustard, and I asked for a cappuccino to go with it. I loved the big red sofa and the two bass drums that served as tables, but as I was on my own I sat at a smaller table. The coffee was one of the best I've had, and the pastry was impressive too.

This is a very friendly and welcoming place, and I will be back when I next visit Chichester. The bread, cakes and pastries are all available for takeaway too. Whipped and Baked subscribes to the Suspended Coffee scheme; you can pay £1 and put two marbles in a jar, which means two needy people can have a free coffee there. I wish more coffee shops would think about joining the scheme.

1  Thank Elizabeth A
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This quirky cake and coffee shop is hidden away down the side streets of Chichester, but please seek it out. The brownies are simply stunning - take home service is available! Artisan bread is available to purchase along with many other examples of local produce. So much more fun than your run of the mill high street coffee shops/

1  Thank Jane H