“Pricy, but worth it”

Pallant House Gallery
Ranked #13 of 66 things to do in Chichester
More attraction details
Owner description: Pallant House Gallery is a unique combination of a Grade One Listed Queen-Anne townhouse and an award-winning contemporary extension which houses one of the most significant collections of Modern British art in the UK. Widely acclaimed for its innovative temporary exhibitions and pioneering Learning and Community programme which has inclusion at its heart, the Gallery has won numerous awards since re-opening in 2006 including the Charity Award for Arts, Culture and Heritage for its Outside In project and the Gulbenkian Prize, the largest award for arts and cultural organisations in the country.
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We though that £11 pp was quite a lot for a small exhibition and the modern art gallery, but having said that it was all well displayed. The Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera paitings were excellent, and the permanent exhibiton was interesting.

Reviewed August 14, 2011

The Pallant House Gallery is very easy to find. We were lucky enough to park right outside it's main entrance. We might not be so lucky next time!

There is an abundance of rooms with lots of interesting art on display.

My favourites being Nick Blinco and Stephen White. Having just recently returned from Venice, I particularly liked Stephen's take on the sights and sounds of this beautiful city. Nick's work just blew me away, more research needed for that young man methinks!

The Anna Fox Resort Exhibition was breath taking in it's use of bright colours, this was a pleasant surprise for me as I was unsure about what this display would be like. She has done herself and Butlins right proud with this magnificent and iconic slice of life display.

The Frida Kahlo & Diego Rivera exhibition was £11 each inc gift aid. There are three rooms full of their work. They are bright, colouful and really rather beautiful in their execution. A very interesting story unfolds as you peruse the paintings. This was not my favourite room though, but it is still worth looking at.

There were numerous more rooms to enter which were all free of charge, so even if you don't fancy the above, at least pop along to see all the other beautiful works of art on display.

All in all a wonderful day out with a gorgeous lunch courtesy of Field & Fork, will we return, of course we will ... check it out ... you will not be dissapointed.

Total cost £11 each to see the Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera Exhibition.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

We travelled 150 miles to see the Kahlo/Rivera exhibition which was well displayed, and was very impressed with the rest od the museum both with regard to it's permanent displays and also the temporary photographic display by another Mexican artist. The bookshop though was a real surprise as it is by far one of the best art bookshops we have ever seen, and included many unusual and out of print books. We will keep an eye on future exhibitions so we can come back.

1  Thank Rendell
Reviewed May 8, 2010

Tucked down a back street in busy Chichester was this amazing architectural space. The original Pallant House has been successfully integrated into a magnificent light filled art gallery which is a maze of interesting spaces and carefully planned views to the exterior. Unfortunately the art displayed was disappointing but this of course is very subjective! For me there was too much inter-war middle-upper class self indulgent rubbish. The few delights for me were the Hogarths, a Barbara Hepworth sculpture and an exhibition of black & white photography of industrial processes.

Reviewed October 14, 2008

Hidden in the back streets of Chichester, I had walked past this gallery for years not expecting there to be much inside. Until one day I was convinced by a friend to join her on an evening tour.

The new extension has given the gallery the big gallery feel that it needed. This gallery is very much a building of two halves. A wonderful Queen Anne townhouse to wander through and explore and a modern gallery that leaves you the space to stand back and enjoy the larger exhibits.

But the real joy is the passion this gallery is strung together with. Everyone that I have met there is involved with the gallery. They care about the art and the people that visit.

I took my disabled mother recently and the trip was a joy - easy to access thanks to a modern lift and an easy going pace that meant we could take our own time.
A wonderful experience!