“Lovely Lunch”
Review of Amelie and Friends - CLOSED

Amelie and Friends
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Amelie and Friends is an independent restaurant situated in a handsome Georgian building right in the centre of Chichester (where Arthur Purchase & Son and The Dining Room used to be). We are close to the Festival Theatre and the St Cyriacs and Northgate car parks.The stylish interior combines Georgian high ceilings and period features with modern building materials and designer furniture. Come and bask in our large secluded courtyard garden planted with olive trees and mediterranean herbs. All our food is prepared in our own kitchen from fresh ingredients, and the menu features a mix of classics done very well plus some quirky and more adventurous dishes. Our delicious handmade wine is sourced from small organic producers from around the world. Our friendly and knowledgeable front of house team will look after you extremely well.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Lovely Lunch”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We visited for lunch as a Birthday treat for my husband, and found the food to be of a very high standard. For starters I had the scallops, although I must say my husband's fish cake won the points here. A great start. For mains my onglet steak was perfect, and the sea bream also was cooked perfectly. For dessert we had a chocolate / ice cream, and my husbands affogato ( hot espresso poured over home made ice cream was a delight. Well done Amelie we shall return!!!
( The staff were also excellent )

Midhurst, United Kingdom
“First visit”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We went with mixed feelings having read some other reviews however we were very happy with our whole experience. The staff were welcoming and said a table had been reserved but we could move elsewhere if we wished. Food was excellent, both starters and main courses, smallish portions but more than enough with beautiful blends of flavours and excellent presentation. The desserts were superb. I do not normally eat desserts when we are out leaving that to my husband. However I was persuaded by him to try the passion fruit and something! It was wonderful!!!!.
Lovely coffee to finish our meal. At no point did we feel rushed or put under pressure.
An excellent evening we will be back again soon.

2 Thank Jenny H
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Just out for dinner somewhere pleasant”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I had a very pleasant evening.Starters for me was a little disappointing as I did not read the description properly.Love scallops but putting them in a sesame batter was not for me and I feel it would be over powering as a main course.The fish cake starter was very good.My husband chose the ribeye steak,very good and I chose the bream.the whole dish complimented the individual flavours very well.The chocolate pudding was a delight! Not sweet but beautifully balanced with vanilla icecream.We will definitely use Amelie and friends again.We feel if you are paying a little more to dine out it has a lot going for it.The owner was very involved in every aspect of service as was Josh their head waiter and most importantly they knew and could describe the menu.Shame I did'nt ask them about my scallop starter! Unfortunatlely you can't always please everyone but they are enthusiastic enough to learn by their mistakes.Well Done.

2 Thank Shirleymac2013
London
“Good food but service was extremely slow”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We went to this restaurant on Saturday night just before going to see "Barnum" at the Festival Theatre tent.
We were seated immediately and were asked if we were attending the show at 7.30. We said yes and ordered the 2 course pre-theatre menu. All 4 of our starters were cold dishes (intentionally!) The gazpacho soup was delicious and creamy rather than the chunky type. The mozzarella brushetta was also very good. Then the service dried up! We sat for another hour with no food and the time ticking away towards our performance. I asked where our dinners were and the waitress said it was on its way. It arrived 10 minutes later. We had 3 sea breams and 1 duck. All four meals were very good but although we'd all decided to opt for a dessert, we had actually run out of time. Coffee was also out of the question.
This means that due to slow service, the restaurant had lost out on 4 desserts and 4 coffees.
The food was very good but the service was very slow considering THEY asked us if we were going to the show and were therefore aware of our time scale.

1 Thank hotbeare15
Portsmouth
“Disappointing”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Starter very good, main course luxury fish pie I couldn't eat it was full of peas, should have been mixed fish in creamy sauce, mainly salmon, no creamy sauce just a watery liquid. ......so disappointing......would I go back..........unfortunately no, having paid through groupon voucher I still felt this wasn't good value for money.

1 Thank Pompey13
Andrew C, Owner at Amelie and Friends, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
I am very sorry that you didn't enjoy the fish pie and I am grateful to you for bringing it to our attention during your meal. The Head Chef examined the dish and sent his apologies as it did not have the correct proportions of fish and vegetables in the filling. We tried to put things right by offering you an alternative replacement main course at no charge.