“Gone downhill”

Cuisines: Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Sadly this is one pub in Chichester that has gone downhill. I appreciate the drinking laws in the UK but a group of 30 something's who are quite obviously 30 something's cost us another queue to the pub next door and them losing out on our money! The security has gone from one extreme to another now and plastic glasses for an upmarket pub is a real shame. This isn't based on just one visit either. The staff are great though - let down for them really.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We had a lovely meal at the Slug and Lettuce during our recent trip to Chichester. Half price main courses on Mondays and it was delicious!

1  Thank HT718
Reviewed July 3, 2013

on monday 1st we were in chichester and as the others in various areas were very good went in here. first about half the tables were reserved, and still empty nearly 30 mins later. we managed to get a cramped 2 table where though normal build almost impossible to sit in comfort my friend had to get out so the cramped two table behind someone could get in. all tables were too close and the noise was terrible. some rowdy noisy people in various places there, never know a slug and lettuce to have reserved tables during the day. anyway after a long wait, most uncomfortable and no one came to take order we left and went to a neaaarby weatherspoons, which was very nice.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Whenever I run out of options, Slug and Lettuce is the place I go to as my 'safe option'. I mean this in the most positive way. I'm one of those who likes to try new places but any time they let me down or are too crowded I find myself heading towards an S&L. Especially if it's a Monday, when all the meals are half-price.

This one in particular seems to offer better service than another one I've been to. I always get a smile and after half a dozen trips or more they are starting to remember what I like!

It offers the usual Slug and Lettuce fare - terrific 'pub grub' hot meals (burgers, fried breakfasts, brunches, cottage pies, etc) as well as the option of curries and a couple of more European offerings. There are plenty of meaty options (their Greek style chicken souvlaki is great) but veggie meals are available as well. Everything is delicious and satisfying.

My personal favourite is the good old fashioned Southern fried chicken breast pieces (from the 'nibbles' section of the menu) with chips and a sour cream dip. The really good thing about the food is that you always get plenty of it and it's good quality and served soon whilst piping hot!

The desserts are ridiculously good, tasty, traditional and filling. Their apple crumble pie with hot custard is lovely, very comforting and gratifying. I've tried all the chocolately options too and they are no less delicious.

I have not tried many of their alcoholic drinks but I once had one of their 2-for-1 cocktails and it was very refreshing and sweet. Recommended for lazy Summer afternoons!

Their coffeee is fine and the same price you get anywhere. They have a very tempting range of liqueur coffees too, and hot chocolate with liqueur. These are rich and delicious. I recommend the Caribbean chocolate drink for a really luxurious treat. They cost a little more, as you'd expect.

As a lovely plus there is a great view of the sea. Grab a table seat!

OFFERS (this is the useful bit!):

The Happy Mondays deal: all meals are half price on a Monday! Great offer if you're planning a party, having a work meal, taking kids out, e.t.c.

Tikka Tuesdays: 2-for-1 curries on Tuesdays, the cheapest is free.

2-for-1 desserts, so bring a friend and halve the dessert bill. Sweet.

Kids: 2 courses and a drink for £4.95.

Kids-for-a-quid: On Sundays kids under 8 years old can have a whole meal for only one pound if accompanied by an adult eating at full price.

2-for-1 cocktails; times, dates and prices vary

Other information:

They do a buffet menu, children's menu and an exclusive menu.

They offer allergy data on their official website.

As said previously, vegetarian options are available, marked 'V' on the Food menu

1  Thank RoseRed7
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Called in on a Thursday night. The place was pretty quite and had no problem getting a drink at the bar or a table. Waiting staff were very friendly and out order was taken quickly. Our waiter seemed knowledgeable about the menu and what side dishes were served.. Did not have to wait long for our food to be delivered to our table. Presentation was good and the food was tasty and hot. had the Swiss burger served with chips and coleslaw. We were all quite happy with the food.
Quite a good standard for a chain restaurant. Would eat here again.