“Excellent”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Chichester
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Only stayed one night but ate in the restaurant (Murray's) that evening. The food and staff were excellent. Our waitress was efficient and charming and attentive without being overbearing at any time. The fillet of beef was fantastic washed down nicely with a great bottle of Pinotage. Simarly the breakfast the next morning was also very good. The only fault I could find was the coffee was not great - both cappuccino and latte were only ok and I think I expected more because everything else was so good. The room was good (Heartbreak House) and the bed very comfortable. Recommended. If in Chichester would stay again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Patrickburfield, General Manager at Chichester Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I’m delighted to hear that you had such an all-round enjoyable stay with us and that you had the opportunity to dine in our new restaurant Murrays. We take great pride in our level of food and service so I look forward to passing your compliments on to the rest of the team, as well as your feedback about the coffee which we constantly review. It’s such a compliment to hear that you would recommend us and we hope to welcome you back soon in the near future.

Patrick Burfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night, a Saturday night. I was a little concerned that it was in such a central location with single glazed windows in the bedrooms, but I need not have worried as it is in a quiet location at night. Yes it's in the High Street which was busy during the day, but it is very different in the evening/night. The hotel itself is lovely. Naturally being a very old Grade II listed building, there are constraints as to what can be done to modernise the hotel, but I think this adds to its charm. There is nothing wrong with single glazed sash windows in the right context, and this building is the right context! The winding stair case looks beautiful. However as we were located on the third floor, we did use the lift. This does take a little getting used to, but again it adds to the charm! The bedroom (room 30) was well equipped and decorated. It took us a few minutes to understand the 'theme' of the room, but once understood, it all made sense! It also had a large bathroom and I enjoyed having a long soak in the bath. Water was hot and plentiful. The bed was very comfortable and we had a great nights sleep. Breakfast was served in the restaurant the following morning and had everything you might want. The staff were polite and very helpful. The car park at the rear of the hotel was easily found albeit difficult to manoeuvre out when other guests park badly! The hotel was also very clean and beautifully decorated. I have not stayed in other hotels in Chichester but to be perfectly honest, I do not need to. If we return to Chichester we will be returning to The Ship.

Room Tip: If you do not like small spaces, the lift could be difficult so perhaps request a first floor room
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving such an honest and complimentary review. It’s wonderful to hear a guest speaking so enthusiastically of the charm and history of the hotel and I’m pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay. Our bedrooms are vibrantly themed on productions from the neighbouring Chichester Festival Theatre. I would like to thank you for all of your kind words, which I will be sharing with the rest of the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Ship Hotel and Murrays soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

After carefully researching local hotels in the area for a mother/daughter weekend away, I chose The Ship for a two night weekend get away. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, everything surpassed our expectations. The hotel itself is in a beautiful historic Georgian building; the decor was contemporary and glamorous; the bed was supremely comfortable and the food and service were excellent on all counts. Moreover we thought the room and dinner offer was fantastic value. My mother is particularly hard to please and she was very impressed (her favourite UK hotels are the Du Vin's and The Ship was definitely on the same par). I'd not hesitate to book again - we had a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room at the front of the hotel and had a pretty aspect looking over to the adjacent b...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a glowing review. I’m delighted that you and your mother enjoyed your recent weekend break with us and that you were so positive about the hotel and the packages we offer. I look forward to sharing your compliments with the rest of the team and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

We held a customer event here and it was excellent. The hotel itself is really nice, the events team are really helpful and the food was great. They were easy to deal with and come highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your recent conference. It’s so nice to hear such positive reviews coming from all areas of the hotel and I will ensure your comments are passed on to our events team. I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed breaking up your work day by dining in our restaurant Murrays and we hope to welcome you back when your next meeting needs arise.

Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Having booked into a nearby restaurant by my daughter to celebrate my wife's birthday we all turned up [all 15 of us] only to be told that there was a power cut and they could not do dinner for my party we were put out into the street [in the nicest possible way] leaving a party of 15 with no place to eat, on thinking about my delema it came to my mind that early in January my wife and I had celebrated our 43rd wedding anniversary at the Ship restaurant and was treated like royalty, so off we went to the Ship restaurant [Murrays]. We were greeted by the staff who without any fuss rearranged the tables to accomodate us and we all had a very good meal all chosen from the current menu and the night wes saved, we all throughly reccomend this hotel to any visitors to Chichester, they will really look after you, and you will be treated like royalty. special thanks to Sophie for being so attentive the whole evening. so if you are visiting Chichester you have to visit the Ship hotel.

John Hughes.

Room Tip: Did not stay but they say rooms on the north side are quieter
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

What a wonderful review! It’s a shame that we welcomed you to Murrays under such frustrating circumstances, however I am delighted that we were able to accommodate you and that your party had such a wonderful time. We take great pride in our service here at The Ship Hotel and at Murrays so I am very pleased to hear such positive feedback. We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Having stayed in a few hotels in the area, this was easily my favourite. The building has a lovely entrance and stairway as you enter, the staff are knowledgeable about the area and were helpful in my bookings.

The rooms were clean, spacious and the showers were powerful. The breakfast choices were very good, though the staff can be a little slow with the hot food orders.

Overall, it was a great experience and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I am extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Chichester is a wonderful place to visit and we take great pride in being able to offer our guests different packages and ways to enjoy it. I will be sharing your compliments about your room and your breakfast feedback with the rest of the team.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

generally I would say this is a great hotel. location is good. parking is no problem. staff are helpful. lovely and warm all weekend. stairs, bar and resturant are stunning! negstives to us were rattling on top floor windows and facade but really bad weather. also think breakfast could be improved. and full length mirror needed. but overall it was great!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit. It’s wonderful to hear such kind words in regards to the refurbishment of our new restaurant Murrays and I look forward to passing your comments about the level of service you received to the rest of the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon, hopefully in better weather conditions this time!