“Good restaurant”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Chichester
London, United Kingdom
“Good restaurant”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel was very good, however the highlight of the stay was the evening meal in the restaurant. The service was excellent and all the staff were highly trained and very attentive. The food was accompanied by an extensive wine list and there seemed to be a lot of locals as well visiting the restaurant. Breakfast was excellent as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
farnham surrey
Reviewed August 10, 2013

First impressions and having read some of the reviews I was expecting a pleasant stay at this hotel. Did not get off to a good start with hotel failing to book a taxi into town making me late meeting friends.
On my return in the evening how wrong can a simple steak dinner go! Rude bar maid said there was no steak and chips on the menu when clearly there was a rib eye steak for £16. She then abruptly told me I had to sit at a sad looking table all on its own in the bar area and that I could not go in the restaurant!
The barman apologized for her rudeness and I was finally offered a table but right in the middle of the restaurant by a post when there were plenty of better tables available. Finally I was given a nice table.
Bread was offered but none came. No offer of a wine list, just we have Merlot or Rioja. After half
an hour wait an over cooked steak arrived. On ordering ice cream, two miserable little scoops half melted came to finish what was overall a very unpleasant experience.
To top things off there were long black hairs on the bathroom floor which certainly were not mine, nice!
In the morning no manager to complain to. I paid for my room but explained that I would like to speak to the manager when he was available and settle my food bill then. No phone call came and my card was fully charged.
On speaking finally to the restaurant manager a week later, I was simply told that was the level of service that Crouchers provides and the Managing Director was not interested in my complaint and insisted my card should be fully charged - extraordinary!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank DaveL4
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here during Glorious Goodwood and was pleasantly surprised with the hotel due to leaving it late to book. Extremely clean, tidy and modern, this unique barn/stable yard conversation is very hard to knock. My room was well furnished with excellent bathroom & tea and coffee facilities. Breakfast was ok, nothing to write home about, but bearing in mind the hotel is only 3 star, it was more than adequate. Being a resident of Dubai, I am getting accustomed to very high standards! All in all, there is absolutely nothing I could complain about. My stay was thoroughly enjoyable. I only wished I'd booked for more than one night!

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Brett W
London
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel has some extremely good qualities, the rooms are small but extremely pleasing to the eye, modern, very tasteful, cozy and very clean, the bed was a standard double size, we have rated the sleep quality as average due to the fact that it was a little noisy with doors closing and footsteps overhead, also the bed was comfy but for us too small. The location is excellent if you want to explore the surrounding area. The staff are excellent, well trained, helpful and friendly. The restaurant food was not to our taste, being of the slightly pretentious 'blobs of purée' variety and priced accordingly, we ate there on our first night and found the ambience and service first class but the food too fussy. This is purely personal taste and the restaurant is well patronised so obviously hits the spot for some, it gave us a problem however as we like a bottle of wine with dinner and, other than a Pizza Pasta pub, a short walk, but across the busy road, there is nowhere else to eat. The pub looked fine but was too busy to accommodate us on that occasion. The hotel does have a limited bar menu but this is not available on Saturday nights. Overall, reasonable value for money, well situated even though it is a car ride from Chichester and its amenities, but food and food prices will not suit everyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fairtrade19
Aughton
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and I booked Crouchers Hotel as part of a large wedding party. The hotel is small and friendly and the staff are extremely polite and helpful, whoever is responsible for recruiting has done a good job! We stayed in a four poster room which was small but well equipped and very clean. The room opened onto a little patio with lovely views over the countryside. The bathroom was modern with a separate shower ( others in our party had old fashioned bathrooms and a shower over the bath).

On our first evening we ate in the hotel restaurant, I changed the booking so many times as more family decided to join us, there was never a problem, the staff were so helpful I can't speak highly enough of them. The food was good and enjoyed by all. The breakfast was cooked to order and served at your table, much better than queuing!

The only slight grumble we had was very noisy guests outside until the small hours, the bar was closed so I guess they brought in their own supplies!

All in all we had a lovely time and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room which had a lovely patio.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The room opened up to a little patio with sweeping views over the countryside, very picturesque and peaceful. Room is spacious with a comfortable bed and the usual coffee/tea arrangements. Staff are friendly and helpful and the breakfast was good, did not order from the menu as nothing looked particularly tempting but the sandwiches were great. Overall it was a pleasant stay apart from the lack of soundproofing in the walls, every time one of our "neighbours" used their bathrooms you could hear the extractor fan buzzing through the wall and the water pipes are terribly noisy. Not great if you are looking forward to a lie in.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Billingshurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed here the night before my daughters wedding. The staff were extremely helpful and the service we recieved was fantastic. We had a meal for 15 of the wedding guests the night before and the food was amazing. The rooms were lovely and clean and the bathrooms well equiped. All in all a lovely stay!

Room Tip: Room 8 had a lovely outside area and a four poster bed. Very quiet and lovely veiws.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chichester
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant
#4 of 8 in Chichester
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,460 reviews
Premier Inn Chichester Hotel
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa

Been to Crouchers Hotel? Share your experiences!