“Great Hotel with friendly staff and VERY comfortable beds”
Review of The Goodwood Hotel

The Goodwood Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Chichester
Kingston
“Great Hotel with friendly staff and VERY comfortable beds”
Reviewed June 8, 2010

I dont usually post my comments on trip advisor unless I have had a terrible experience but reading the negative reviews below, I felt I just had to correct the impression you may get as our recent stay at The Goodwood Hotel was fantastic.

The staff were so welcoming and friendly, my husband and I really felt as if we were part of the family. I would agree that the older rooms we stayed in had litle personality and the corridors long and winding but the rooms made up for this in terms of comfort and cleanliness. I had the best few nights sleep I have had in a very long time and am considering another long weekend stay at Goodwood just to take advantage of the pillows.

The food at The Richmond Arms was great and didnt feel as if we were in a hotel restaurant at all. I loved the seasonal produce (all from the Organic farm on the Estate!) and tasty menu obviously prepared by a talented team in the kitchen. My breakfast was also amazing - not your standard hotel food by any means.

Prices at The Goodwood Hotel were fair, particularly when you can use the hotel as a base (as we did) to explore the amazing Sussex Downs and beaches at Witterings. The facilities were also good - whilst my husband enjoyed a game on the imaculately maintained (his words) golf course, I had an indulgent treatment in the spa.

We would definately return to Goodwood and just hope we can come again this Summer.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Midlands
Reviewed June 3, 2010

We were slightly worried about our stay having read recent reviews but I have to say we were so happy with our stay we felt we should post a review. The hotel has a great location with so much to do in the area. On arrival reception were friendly and even walked us to our room which was very welcomed having been stuck in bank hol traffic! The rooms are a little dated and the bathroom basic but they were very clean and as for the bed, it was the best night sleep we have had (might be because we didn't have the kids!) The food in the Richmond arms was one of the best meals - can recommend the lamb. The staff all around were so friendly and helpful even though they were extremly busy but nothing was too much trouble. The weekend was great value for money, very relaxing and I would recommend to anyone looking for a quiet, friendly get away and to explore the west sussex coast.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StarbuckMidlands
London
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Where to begin....
Having visited Goodwood Estate a number of times my expectations were high to say the least. Upon arrival into the public areas of the hotel my partner and I were really happy with what we saw. The staff were impeccably presented and both helpful and polite. Having checked in and taken beyond the public area of the reception we were taken on a rather long walk around the hotel and this is where the problems began. The corridors of the hotel are both old and extremely outdated, and we started to get the feel of beingin a Travelodge. Once in our room we were utterly appalled that the room looked like it hadn't been decorated since the 80s and immediately requested an upgrade to something that looked like the photos on the website. We were told that there was nothing that could be done. The bathroom was also pretty small and old and not particularly clean. It turns out the Goodwood Estate are now managing the hotel which was previously a Marriot and are in the process of bringing this up to the level of the Reception areas. The other issue we had was that it appeared to be highly misrepresented on the website from where we made our booking - everything appears to be wonderfully contemporary, but do not be fooled. The rooms that are focused on are the executive rooms which cost another £175 more than the £169 we paid for our 'superior' double (heaven help what a regular double is!). Having made a booking at the Richmond Arms, which again looks wonderfully inviting from the outside and to be honest has real charm. However, having booked for 7.30pm we were made to wait over half an hour to be told we were to go into the bar and grill as that was where we had booked. Wrong. After that little episode we were eventually seated 45 minutes late, both hungry and anxious. The food was good but not stunning, and having paid 28 pounds for a fillet the size of a ten pence we retired to our room exhausted with the whole situation.

Our stay here certainly tainted our Goodwood experience which is a real shame as the rest of the grounds are truly magical. We would most certainly not return to this hotel until some serious investment has rectified the problems it currently holds and made it worthy of a home on the Estate.

To finish off, when checking out, we weren't asked if everything was OK with our stay, are they too nervous when they realise the room you've been in - on what the answer will be....

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jaspercatLondon
GoodwoodHotelManager, Manager at The Goodwood Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2010
I was disappointed to read your review of the hotel and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments. Please can I ask you to contact me at your convenience to discuss the points you mention in your review. I look forward to hearing from you. Sarah Stacey, Hotel Manager 01243 775537
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2010

I will keep this as brief as possible. My heavily pregnant wife and I had to stay here as we were attending a wedding locally. I fell for the website for this hotel, and believed everything they said (stupid) in their blatantly misleading website. At the time I felt that £149 and £169 a night respectIvely for our room (2 nights) was reasonable for a Goodwood Estate organisation. In short, the hotel was a disaster. It was not special in any way, the pictures of Stirling Moss everywhere were boring and nonsensical after the 86th one, and in fact I have stayed in better Premier inn's and Travelodge's than this place, at a fraction of the price.

That aside, the real reason for my angst was all aspects of the dining "experience." A meal for four of us was served in the Richmond Arms restaurant. I had been told we MUST be seated by 7.30pm as they were so busy - but we were actually sat in a half empty room all night, when we could have eaten easily at our preferred time of 8.30pm. I now know why this place was empty.

I ordered the halibut and I am genuine when I say, if you took your average Findus fish finger, and stripped it of the batter, you would have an exact replica of the piece of fish I was served as a main course in this restaurant. That was £17.95. Vegetables were extra. I chose hand cooked chips. These arrived as 8 pieces of deep fried and charred crisps of potato - the stuff you get at the bottom of a deep fat fryer.

My guests all had similar food related disasters and each portion would not have filled a mouse. The snooty wine waiter came to ask f the wine was alright. It was not - it was corked. The lady waitress took it away and brought back a new bottle intimating that they had had similar problems with the batch of wine we had been served, with other customers also complaining. So why keep serving it? Answer: to get rid of it on unsuspecting clients.

Our bill came to over £200 and that was for a starter and main course and that was it. It was disgraceful in the extreme. We all left the restaurant hungry. Later on I had to order a sandwich which was prepared reluctantly by the bell hop. "you can have egg, take it or leave it" - having a heavily pregnant wife and not much choice we took it, and were greeted with this being added to our bill at £13.95.

The breakfast was a similar joke, with serving plates the size of side plates. A request for a vegetarian breakfast had to be almost translated into the native language of the waiter and was greeted with a half laugh and a plate of scrambled egg and baked beans. No toast. No tea. No nothing. Except 40 rowdy golfing blokes on a stag do.

I genuinely, genuinely hope this place shuts down soon and is replaced with something that befits the local area. The owners of this establishment ought to be ashamed of themselves.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UKTraveller35
GoodwoodHotelManager, Hotel Manager at The Goodwood Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2010
I am extremely saddened and surprised by your comments regarding your stay with us. It was unfortunate that the issues you mention were not raised during your visit so that I could have dealt with them at the time. Please can I ask you to contact me at your convenience to discuss the points you mention in your review. I look forward to hearing from you. Sarah Stacey, Hotel Manager
kent
Reviewed March 11, 2010

I believe the hotel is in the process of refurbishment, our room was very dated but nice, will visit again in the future to see the progress as it is in a lovely part of the uk.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
uk
Reviewed February 24, 2010

Stayed here for two nights when I was working long hours in Chichester. This was a perfect retreat. We were greeted by a member of staff holding the door open and a swift and efficient check in. The room was well presented and clean with good tea making items, lovely biscuits and Molton Brown toiletries.

Two choices of food venue with reasonable bar prices made for a good all round package. There is a lovelly indoor pool and gym as well. Breakfast was good too.

The only downside is the charge for wireless Internet far too high, but it is a minor point.

• Stayed March 2010
Surrey
Reviewed February 12, 2010

Celebrated my 50th Birthday at the hotel staying for 2 nights and dining at the Richmond Arms on both evenings, we had a lovely relaxing time. Our room was very clean and comfortable and we were very pleasantly surprised to find hand made chocolates and a birhday message courtesy of the hotel in our room on arrival. The public areas were also all very nice and we particularly enjoyed the roaring log fire in the bar. The food and service in the Richmond Arms on both evenings was exceptional. Breakfast was also a treat, not the usual hot buffet but individuallycooked to order. We found all of the staff to be very friendly and attentive. Would most definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chichester
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant
Travelodge Chichester Central
The Nags Head
The Nags Head
#8 of 8 in Chichester

Been to The Goodwood Hotel? Share your experiences!