The Nags Head
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Crouchers Hotel(Chichester)
The Goodwood Hotel(Chichester)
View Hotel
The Bear Inn(Bognor Regis)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsthe publovely carveryroast potatoesgenerous portionspay and display car parktown centrefor sunday lunchwell worth a visitfull english breakfasttop qualitymain coursevisiting chichestercomfy bedyogurtrearconservatorymains
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 18, 2014

After reading some of the reviews I was very surprised that there were some negative ones on here. We visited The Nags Head for a late lunch today. We found them purely by chance when we parked in a different car park! We were seated immediately and drinks arrived promptly. We ordered the duck salad, the chicken salad and a plain burger with chips. It all arrived in a reasonable time. The meals were presented well and tasted amazing. My son said it was the best burger he had had in a long time (he is autistic and only eats burgers!). We all had desserts, ice cream, chocolate brownie and Eton mess. Again all were beautifully presented and tasted as good as they looked. Not a cheap place to eat but not especially expensive either, I don't mind paying a bit more if you thoroughly enjoy the food. We will definitely visit again

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank remada
Reviewed May 12, 2014

My husband and I went to the Nags Head for a meal after shopping. The Pub decor has certainly improved but the food was expensive and not very good. I had fish & chips, my husband had a beef burger. My fish was very small, lots of batter hardly any fish and it was very dry. My husband liked the burger but neither one of us thought much of the chips. I also thought £4.40 for a pint of Guinness was a bit steep. Would not return, I'm afraid.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Yuggerbug
TheNagsHead, Owner at The Nags Head, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2014

thank you for your comments. we try to make a effort to respond to constructive criticism as this can only help are business grow and improve. we were however slightly confused as when the owner cleared your plates and asked if everything was ok they were empty and you had no complaints which in after reading this we were confused. we like that you commented on the décor as we are always looking to make the pub/resturaunt a nicer place to spend the day. as for the price of Guinness we are sorry about this but are prices are set by the brewery and we are still cheaper than several places in town.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

My partner and I have eaten at the Nags for many years and always find the service and food very good. However, I must admit we had not been for a while and decided to return a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday evening at gone eight o'clock so it was not particularly busy.

Firstly, it would appear the waiting staff have changed and these 'newbies' were not as friendly or attentive as the previous staff. I asked for a diet coke and what arrived was a pint of very flat and unpalatable liquid, now I am not one to complain but I just couldn't drink it and I assumed the pump must need changing; or whatever happens. So back my drink went and after a good 15 minutes another pint of diet coke was bought out and there was no apology and admittedly it tasted a little better even I could see there were still no bubbles and it was still relatively flat. When I mentioned this to the waiter I got a response along the lines of there was nothing else he could do?!

Regardless, on perusing the menu I could see that my normal dish had now been removed and yes I am quite a fussy vegetarian but I didn't fancy a vege burger; I could get this anywhere and neither on a Saturday night did I fancy a carvery. After much consideration I opted to have the fish cakes as a main instead of the starter with the triple cooked chips. The fish cakes were really nothing to write home about but the chips were very good and my partner had the carvery and said it was very good; which I understand it normally is. However; again a reflection on the poor service..normally if one of us was having the carvery and the other was having a meal chosen from the menu we would be told when to go up to the carvery. Obviously this was done so there is at at least some chance of you both starting your meals together but my partner was not told to go up so when my food came out he then took it upon himself to go up whilst I waited for him to return with his meal.

On completion of our meals we sat there for a good 20 minutes before our plates were taken away and my other half requested the desert menu. Now had they been run off their feet or it had been mother's day I may have been more understanding however it was very quiet so much so that the waiter/waitresses were standing by the till talking and this is what irked me.

Overall the food was not unpleasant, yes I was annoyed that they no longer served my preferred dish but I really do feel the service level has dropped which is a shame as we used to very much enjoy going for dinner here and will not be returning in the near future.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank anderson1985
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

We were also at The Nags Head for a family meal at the same time as the comment below. To say they were not busy is extremely unfair. The restaurant was to the roof with very happy customers and wonderful food. The staff were all very bubbly and as every year it was a great all round experience considering the amount of tables that would require a more than reasonable service on I expect the most busy day of there year. I for one would like to thank all the staff for a lovely occasion. See you next time.

Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank RealAleDrinker007
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Went to the nags last night to celebrate a family birthday. After finally getting served we then waited over an hour for food. Even though our meals were nice the waitress service was very poor. We was not happy with the way we was treated and when we complained they said they had staff shortage and were busy. They certainly wasn't busy as half the restaurant was empty. The nags staff certainly ruined a good family evening out and we won't be returning

• Stayed: March 2014
TheNagsHead, Owner at The Nags Head, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We pride ourselves in quality service, and it is unfortunate that your experience wasn't stellar on such an important occasion, this will be looked into. Your late arrival during our busiest period of the night did put extra pressure on the kitchen. Our food is freshly prepared, which does take time, and it is unfortunate that you arrived at the same time as other parties, therefore affecting the timing of our food preparation. We would like you to know that we take these critiques very seriously. Thank you for expressing your concern.