“Lovely but a bit of a squeeze!”
Review of The Swan Hotel

The Swan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Arundel
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My partner and I stayed here Friday and Saturday night.

The Swan Hotel is lovely and tastefully decorated throughout. I totally agree with other reviewers, the breakfast is FANTASTIC and all of the staff, all of the time were friendly and polite.

If I had stayed in Room 1 on my own as a single guest, I would have been very impressed but staying with my partner, we both felt this room was rather small with no room left to swing a cat and we did feel rather claustrophobic!!

My partner is of average build but any bigger and he would have had trouble manoeuvring himself into the shower room between the main door and the glass shower door! The bedroom was too small for a wardrobe so instead we had a little wrought iron clothes rail, again all very tasteful, but I would have preferred a proper wardrobe to store our clothes instead of having to leave some of our luggage in holdalls. Unfortunately due to the position of the clothes rail on the wall, one half of the window shutter couldn't be opened to its full potential, so the room seemed a little dark. On a brighter note, the bed was really comfortable.

Would I revisit The Swan Hotel?, 100% YES, I would even stay in Room 1 again, but only if Room 1 was for single occupancy only. If I was travelling with my partner I would definitely request a bigger room. I really liked the hotel, the staff and Arundel itself and let’s not forget that fabulous cooked breakfast!

Room Tip: Room 1 should be for 1 (solo traveller) and not 2.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Beata S, General Manager at The Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Dear Jacqueline,

Thank you for taking the time to review you stay with us. I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your breakfast and had pleasant stay with us in Arundel. Our "Standard Rooms" are very much the smallest rooms in the house, but we have tried to make as much of the space as possible. Your comments though are very welcome, as we are still tweaking following the refurbishment and there are some things you just don't notice until it's pointed out (ie. the clothes rail and shutter issue).

I do hope you find yourselves down in Arundel again sometime soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

My Husband and i stayed here for my birthday night.We were welcomed very warmly by the staff. Upon entering the room i found a birthday card and an invite for a complimentary drink , which wasa nice personal touch. Our room was clean and nicely presented. The only critism i have is that when having a bath the water was only luke warm. The tea and coffee facilities were good with a box of homemade shortbread which were tasty ! Again , the staff at breakfast were so very friendly and welcomed you with a friendly smile and could'nt do enough for you. The BEST bit about our stay was the AMAZING breakfasts we had. You have a choice of a lovely laid out continental breakfast with fresh homemade bread and fresh coffee and tea from a pot in china cups (very English) and very lovely. The cooked breakfasts are out of this world !!! we have stayed at many B&Bs, hotels and this was by far the best in the way of food! we would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Beata S, General Manager at The Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2012

Dear Dawn,

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your birthday break with us and took the time to share your stay with us on TripAdvisor. The little touches, I feel, always make things a bit more special and I glad you liked the card. My apologies regarding the water, it is an intermittant issue we're aware of, but are stuggling with a solution due to the age of the building. But to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast so much is delightful - our chefs pride themselves on their interpretation of the most important meal of the day!

I do hope you find your way back to Arundel some time soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

Although we didn't stay we wished we had.had a fantastic meal food was delicious and well presented service excellent what a great find will definitely return & recommend to others have are in other restraunts in arundel but this one far exceeds any of these

• Stayed: July 2012

Thank you for sharing your experiences here on TripAdvisor of your meal with us. I'm delighted to hear you had a great time, and thank you for recommending The Swan to others. I look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed one night with my two daughters and grandson and we all greatly enjoyed our stay. We were given rooms opposite each other and the twin was easily able to accommodate the travel cot we took along. The rooms were very clean and decorated to a high standard, and the breakfast next morning was plentiful and tasty. I cannot speak highly enough of all the staff who were very friendly, efficient and helpful, especially with carrying up our luggage.....a baby doesn't travel light! We had our evening meal in the restaurant, not outstanding but quite nice. The only downside in my room were the taps on the basin......the water pressure wasn't great, but the shower was lovely. Also, it may be helpful as the establishment is child friendly to put a baby changing unit in the public toilets if possible. Would definitely stay again, our thanks to Beata and all the team.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear Ann,

I'm so pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for sharing your experience on this site. All of my team truly believe that guests are at the heart of everything we do, and I delighted you think so highly of everyone.

My apolgies though about the water pressure. This is a problem we are aware of but due to the age of the building its proving a slight issue. I really hope it won't put you off a return visit to us if your family ever find themselves in Arundel again.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We've just arrived for a few days of research at the Arundel Castle archives, and had to request a room with extra desk space. The hotel manager was lovely and went to some trouble to find us a room that suited our needs, and the rooms are very nice and well appointed. This is a great place to stay in Arundel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear K M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us - as I mentioned, some of our rooms are a little more suited than others when it comes to extra desk space and I'm pleased you managed to get all you needed to finished.

If you ever need to follow-on from your work in Arundel, please keep us in mind as a place to stay.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night and it was a bad experience in OUSE room. The extraction from the kitchens is below the room and its a very looud noise all night. The staff are great and the breakfast is exceptional.
Remedy is that the management LISTEN to our complaints and find the remedy.
Now that is a first for me and i will have NO hesitations in making future bookings.

Room Tip: Book Direct
1  Thank BillOfRights
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Dear Bill,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us. We are aware of the issues with the particular room you stayed in, and are in the process of having "muffler"-type fittings placed over the extractors, as well as new glazing for the room itself. Please accept my apologies for this disturbing your sleep, but we are actively trying to fix this.

I do hope you'll keep us in mind if you find yourself in Arundel again.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Will be staying there again for sure if we go back to Arundel. I travel a lot for a living and this hotel fits the bill for a short stay, good food and charming service.

We left a leather jacket in the room on departure (doh) and not only had they found and kept it, but recorded delivered it to us back home!

The UK seems to get better all the time for hotels like this, with the Swan being a shining example of how it can be.

Completely recommended.

Room Tip: mid price rooms are worth the £10 upgrade, but the smaller room is totally fine for a 1 night stay.
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed yourselves and that your jacket arrived safely home with you. Nothing more annoying that leaving something somewhere and never seeing it again, so we always endevour to reunite guests with their lost items.

If you ever find yourselves down in Arundel again, I hope to see you again.

Beata Slapikaite

Also consider these accommodations in or near Arundel
Norfolk Arms Hotel
4 mi away
Bailiffscourt Hotel
Bailiffscourt Hotel
#1 of 1 in Climping

Been to The Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!