“A Proper Pub”

Ranked #27 of 56 Restaurants in Arundel
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Yes, the 'proper' pie pub as per the blackboard as you leave the road, is a 'proper' pub. A cheery, friendly and most importantly welcoming landlady, great pies, fab chips and yummy veg, all homemade, great value, nice atmosphere.

We'll be back.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I belong to the U3A Luncheon Club in Arun West Rustington, we visit different venues every month, generally keeping as local as possible.

Thursday 18th April 2013 we visited the Ship & Anchor with a group of twelve, mostly couples. On entering the pub the welcoming was lovely, the person who meet us she was the most welcoming and happy sounding lady that you could ever find. The place had a roaring fire near the front door as you entered, which was a most welcoming feature, on a raw, windy day, and the atmosphere inside was great.

My wife and I sorted out our drinks and made our way to our tables {which had all been pushed together, to accomodate the twelve of us}. I had a starter which was the most generous and creative "Chefs Own" chicken liver pate'.

My wife skipped the starter and ordered the "Chicken Leek & Bacon Pie" in their homemade pastry crust, set in a creamy sauce, with an array of vegetables, all their helpings were more than generous. I had the Glazed Pork Steak topped with an apple fritter, and a container of chutney, with a side dish of the most tastiest chip, the best I have tasted in years, and the lady asking, if we needed anymore vegetables, if so, just ask, it was really a filling meal, and I, had no room for a sweet.

So, I cried off having the dessert, but my wife settled for a fresh fruit basket, topped with cream, so yes, - Bang goes the diet - we really do enjoy our grub, and todays food, was a plus, coupled wife a service, that was beyond reproach.

Summing up our crowds feelings, - The meal was a great success - with lovely people - a great atmosphere - and great food - we awarded them a 15 out of 10 and in the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger, we will be back.

2  Thank Soskin1933
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I belong to the U3A Luncheon Club in Arun West, we visit a different venue every month, generally keeping as local as possible.

Today we visited the Ship & Anchor with a group of twelve, mostly couples. Entering the pub the welcome was lovely, the lady who served us was the most happy sounding person that you can find anywhere.

My wife and I sorted out our drinks and sat down at the tables that had been put together to accomodate the twelve of us. I had a starter which was the most generous and creative 'Chefs Own chicken liver pate'.

My wife skipped the starter, and went forward with chicken leek and bacon pie in a creamy sauce in their homemade pastry crust, with an array of vegetables.

I had the glazed pork steak topped with an apple fritter, and a container of chutney, with a side dish of the most tastiest of chips, the best I have tasted in years, it was a really filling meal, {the helpings were more than generous} it was as much as I can handle.

I cried off of having a desert, but my wife settled for a fresh fruit brandy basket, topped with cream, so yes, - bang goes the diet - we really do enjoy our grub, and todays food and service were beyond reproach.

Summing up our crowds feelings, it was a total success, will we go again, you bet, we informed the lady who served us, that we had awarded her and the staff a 15 out of ten.

Great place, great service, great food, I have no hesitation in recommending this place as a number one meal out.

1  Thank G-Lesie
Reviewed April 8, 2013

From walking in to leaving, the service and friendliness was first class. There was a wide choice of good beers and the home-cooked food was above reproach. In fact, the wife's boeuf bourguignone took the title of second best that I've ever tasted. Not really a criticism, but the portions were probably larger than some people could manage.

1  Thank Clutchslip
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Lovely pub of the beaten track, went for a drink and stayed for Sunday lunch best roast(chicken) I have had in a while, food served piping hot and plenty of it. Staff welcoming and helpful with Joy being chatty and friendly. I think the drinks are a little overpriced but wouldn't let this stop me paying another visit.

1  Thank sexyandsmooth_61