“nice but tired rooms”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Arundel
southend
“nice but tired rooms”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I booked this as a last minute deal so paid a OK price had i payed more i would have been insulted.
Public areas are fine well kept and relatively grand, 2 Pools very warm and clean, although we had a laugh watching the grounds keeper trying to get in the outside pool combination lock for over 1 hour and he finally gave up i think, or we did so as long as you do not want to use it before 10am!!

Our room "130" generally was Spotlessly clean and a new bathroom excellent, although the toilet roll holder prevented you sitting square on the pan!- fitted by a Man no doubt! said my hubbie!
The upholstery in the room was thread bear on the arm chairs and needing reupholstering badly, made me feel grubby. the laminate was off the shelf in the tray area, and the glasses did not match and insufficient tea/coffee for more than 1 drink each- and a distinct lack of biscuits for the price-- I would have expected this in a budget hotel which this is not.

The breakfast was lovely, and of good quality. we overheated however and could not open any windows in the dining area and were ignored by the waiting staff!

There was a PROM going on this evening, and it was nice seeing all the teenagers dressed up, it was not overly loud and only a little disruption, so well done to the organisers.

BEWARE this hotel is not ideal for mobility impaired, lots of steps between rooms on the public area and no lifts to the 1st floor.

Enjoyable for the price I paid but would not want to pay full price due to condition of upholstery and some surfaces in rooms. foreign breakfast staff less than attentive, receptionists and other staff friendly and efficient

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Avisford_Park, General Manager at Hilton Avisford Park, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing a review about Hilton Avisford Park following your stay in July 2013.

We were pleased that the standard of cleanliness, quality of breakfast and general level of service met with your satisfaction.

Your comments regarding amenities and furnishings in the bedroom have been duly noted and we are sorry for any disappointment caused.

We were glad you were able to utilise our swimming pools during your stay and found them warm and clean.

Thank you once again for your comments. We do hope you will return in the future.

Hilton Avisford Park

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
Westbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Although the hotel was ideally placed for sightseeing in the area, it left a lot to be desired. The dinner menu was unchanged for 3 nights and not inspiring for a vegetarian. Also, some items replaced with poor substitutes. Room very pleasant but looked out over scaffolding. There wouldn't have been a view anyway. All of the bedroom doors have spring closings and slammed quite late as there were 2 weddings on.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest

Your comments regarding the dinner menu have been passed to our Head Chef for review to ensure there is sufficient choice for all diners each evening.

We were glad that you found your accommodation pleasant and the location ideal for exploring the local area.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Shoeburyness
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stayed this week Monday to Thursday with nine others. Lovely Sussex setting, a former school from a bygone age now a hotel and corporate centre. Avoid.

Day one - an hour and a half to get the main course. All tables were giving the very stressed waiting staff a very hard time. Service was slow and several memu items not available. When the very apologetic waitress offered us free puddings that was the last straw. The manager was unavailable as she was maning the front desk, the restaurant manager did half the bill. Don't bother, Arundel is down the road with a great choice of quality restaurants.

A colleague had to move rooms. The original room was declared a 'dead room' by management due to its very dirty state.

Room Tip: Overlooking the front of the house has a view of the golf course.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing a review about Hilton Avisford Park following your stay in July 2013 with colleagues.

It was disappointing to note that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. Your comments regarding the restaurant service have been noted and further training will be carried out to avoid a similar situation in the future.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Hilton Avisford Park

Travelers are raving about these Arundel hotels

Berkshire
Reviewed July 5, 2013

One night stay at this country house style hotel with liesure club and golf course was a delight and the standard of the restuarant provided an excellent dinner and breakfast. This was very good vfm in most relaxing pleasant surroundings and we will visit again.

Room Tip: There is no lift and there ar long corridors and many steps to the upper floors. The rooms on the u...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing a review about Hilton Avisford Park following your recent visit.

We were delighted you had an enjoyable overnight stay with us in relaxing pleasant surroundings and found the standard of dinner and breakfast excellent.

Thank you once again for your positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Hythe
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I had a Hilton Deluxe Room, free wifi being a Gold HH member and everything worked well with attentive and professional staff. I am used to Hilton Exec rooms and this one was a bit on the small side and the shower could have had better pressure but was OK really. Furniture in the room was older than I had expected but hey, did the job.

I enjoyed the food in the lounge/bar - the burger and fries with salad was one of the best I have had anywhere, served quickly with no fuss by professional friendly staff. Chairs in the bar and lounge are very comfortable.

I slept well, Hilton beds are great and checked out easily after a hot and tasty room service breakfast.

Nice grounds and easy parking.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing a review about Hilton Avisford Park following your visit in June 2013.

We were pleased to note that you are a Gold Hilton Honors member and were provided with the appropriate benefits. Due to the age and former uses of the hotel the room sizes vary and whilst we note you found the room allocated a little small we were pleased you slept well.

Your comment regarding the burger, fries and salad has been shared with our chefs and we were glad that the level of service also met with your satisfaction.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

East Sussex, UK
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was fortunate enough to be invited to attend a wedding which took place at the 'Hilton Avisford Park Hotel' near Arundel,West Sussex one Sunday at the end of June. I do not have a car now, so after having arrived in Arundel by 'National Express' coach, I had no option other than to take a taxi to the hotel (costing £10.20) which is actually situated in Walberton which is around four miles away from Arundel - however I do realise that I'm in a minority here as I'm sure that most hotel guests would have arrived by car and plenty of car parking space is provided at the hotel for such visitors where conferences are held from time to time.

This hotel is a truly beautiful building set in an equally glorious country setting comprising many acres of its own land and which has its own tennis courts and an eighteen hole golf course which I was fortunate enough to see at its best as the weather was superb on the day that I visited,and it was warm and sunny all day long.
Whilst no doubt I would have enjoyed to have stayed at this hotel as a guest, its location is too remote for me personally consider as I'm really more of a town person to be truthful, and as I've already said I do not have my own transport now so I would suffer from accessibility problems once I had arrived. I feel also,no doubt that considering the 'Hilton Avisford Park Hotel' is a high quality establishment, it is more than likely the room rates would had probably stretched my meagre budget beyond its limit anyway - however the hotel's rates can be ascertained from the 'Tripadvisor' website,and the hotel has its own website as well,from where much more detail concerning the hotel's facilities and prices can be acquired.

It is always most pleasureable to be allowed the opportunity to admire and explore new locations such as this,and I was most fortunate to be allowed to do just that and to express my views and opinions here, and I must therefore mention that the hotel's premises and facilities were clean as one would no doubt expect,and the grounds were immacutely tended and it really is a lovely place to spend some leisure time. There is a large lounge,a dining room and a hotel bar on the ground floor where guests and visitors may relax and chat, and just outside the building there is a terrace with tables and chairs for use on sunnier days as well as a putting green together with a giant chess set. I understand that the hotel has its own gym & health club and a swimming pool although I regret that time did not permit me to view these facilities.

The hotel is licensed for weddings and the wedding ceremony which I attended took place in the hotel's 'Terrace Room' located on the ground floor followed by a wedding breakfast for around thirty-five guests in the 'Ballroom' which was situated on the first floor comprising of a starter of Chilled Poached Salmon followed by English Lamb Rump for the main course, all of which was absolutely delicious and well presented. The sweet course was 'Peach Melba creme brulee,' which too was very tasty,and I found that all of the hotel's staff were courteous and attentive at all times.

I would suggest that should you be seeking a good hotel to stay at in West Sussex which you'll find convenient for both countryside and the sea, perhaps you may consider staying at the 'Hilton Avisford Park Hotel' near Arundel bearing in mind the delightful hotel building together with the lovely grounds in which it is situated, and although I was unable to view a bedroom I feel sure that these rooms would be of an equally high standard comparable to the hotel's other fine facilities which I did see upon my visit.

The hotel is situated just a half a mile away from the main A27 road so you will appreciate that it is well placed and allows easy access to many popular West Sussex towns and resorts such as Chichester, Bognor Regis, Horsham,Littlehampton, Worthing and many other locations further afield such as Brighton,Portsmouth,Southampton and London also.
The hotel is such a perfect wedding venue, and I suspect that the 'Hilton Avisford Park Hotel' would be a good choice of somewhere to stay bearing in mind its extremely pleasant location and its many amenities.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Roger-from-Sussex
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing a review about Hilton Avisford Park following your visit in June 2013 for a wedding.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed our beautiful setting and extensive grounds and were able to view some of our extensive leisure facilities during your short visit.

We were also pleased that you found our team members courteous and attentive and the wedding breakfast delicious and well presented.

Thank you once again for your detailed feedback and we do hope that you will stay with us at some point in the future to fully experience all that Avisford Park has to offer.

Brighton, England
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is only the fourth review that I have given an hotel and it is the exceptional staff that has prompted me to write this.

The hotel is a large country hotel with fine gardens. I believe it was a former school. We stayed on Saturday the 29th June for our 25th wedding anniversary. Our room was a large first floor one right at the top of the stairs. It had the usual traditional Hilton furnishing and was spotlessly clean.

Breakfast was very good. I am glad that we ate early, as there was had been a wedding reception the previous evening and the dining room was very full by the time we left.

It was the staff that made our stay so special and a very big thank you to Lynne, the chief housekeeper. What a lovely lady!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Avisford_Park, General Manager at Hilton Avisford Park, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Guest

We were delighted that the exceptional level of service from our team members and in particular our Head Housekeeper, Lynn, prompted you to write your review. We pride ourselves on being a friendly and professional team and were pleased this was your experience.

The main manor house was indeed a former Roman Catholic boys’ preparatory school from 1928 until 1974; the names of the former Head Boys can be seen on the cedar panelling in the Restaurant.

We were also pleased that the standard of accommodation, cleanliness and food at breakfast and dinner were all to your satisfaction.

Thank you once again for your comments and we hope you will return to celebrate another wedding anniversary with us.

Hilton Avisford Park
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arundel
Norfolk Arms Hotel
Angmering Manor
Angmering Manor
#1 of 1 in Angmering
Travelodge Arundel Fontwell

Been to Hilton Avisford Park? Share your experiences!