“what has happened to the rarebit?”

The Swan Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 54 Restaurants in Arundel
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Whether you're after a quiet drink with friends or a meal with the family, The Swan is perfect for you. Our modern styled bar is open all day 'til 11pm (later on Fridays and Saturdays, and for hotel guests), serving superb cocktails, outstanding Fuller's and Gales ales, a great range of spirits and wines, as well as soft drinks for the family. Don't forget to bring the dog too, as our bar is very pet friendly!Our restaurant serves up a great selection of pub favorites with a great deal of locally sourced produce being used, and our chefs use their creative flair with delicious daily changing specials! Food is served 12-9pm Monday to Thursday, 12-9.30pm on Fridays & Saturdays and 12-8pm on Sundays. Booking recommended.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have been to The Swan a few times since the refurb and had been happy.
However, I recently returned on a Thursday lunch, to a very average experience.The rarebit price has gone up, which would have been acceptable, except the portion is smaller - much less topping, a smaller salad, and no sauce/dip which I had previously had. Plus, I had the lamb kofta which was really average - tiny for nearly £6 and dry.I finished with a coffee, which came with a biscuit- unfortunately just picking it up , it totally crumbled all over the floor- the waiter's reaction was something like ... 'yes they do that'!
generally service was slow and seemed uncoordinated amongst the team.
I will return and give it another chance, as I have had good experiences previously.
On the bright side , the Victoria sponge was delicious.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Just like the wonderful fresh fish served up on the '2 for 1' fish and chips on a Friday night!! We always kid ourselves that we are just popping in for a Friday night pint, but the moment the first fish and chips walks past us we are hooked and compelled to order even if we have already planned dinner at home! Many places would serve a smaller portion under such an offer, but not The Swan! A huge prime fillet of perfectly cooked fish, chips, home made tartar sauce and a mini saucepan of delicious crushed peas and mint x 2 for £10.25 - amazing quality. Also love the club sandwich, though I have never managed to finish one.....yet! We have also discovered 'burger night' and love the chilli marinated whole chicken breast option. I love the build up as the bar and restaurant fills from early evening, and it is clear that the quality of the food and great service is a big draw for a diverse clientele. Apologies if you are sitting at (our) table 12 and our dog joins you.....as a regular it is just routine for her! See you soon x

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Recommended by guesthouse we were staying at, and pleased we took their advice. Very good food, reasonably priced, with staff who were very cheerful and helpful. Visited twice and were not disappointed on either occasion.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is a nice pub since its refurb. but is generally quieter than the other pubs in Arundel. It's also a hotel but I don't know what the rooms are like. The food's not bad but the restaurant lacks atmosphere. They occasionally have live music.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

On Saturday the 11th May, I visited The Swan Pub in Arundel. On arrival it was rather quiet for a Saturday night but the atmosphere seemed quite good, especially just for a low-key drink me and my three friends were looking for. Two of the friends I was with ordered soft drinks and I ordered an alcoholic drink (I am 24). I was not at all offended when I was asked for ID and appreciate this is their job to ensure underage drinkers are not on the premises. I showed my driving licence, which was issued in 2006 and which I have used for the last 7 years without any problem.

The member of staff behind the bar was extremely rude and arrogant and proceeded to tell me that my ID was fake and there was absolutely no way that it could be real as it did not look like his driving licence (which I believe is the new driving licence that was released this year.) I was completely shocked with his reaction and just tried to laugh it off and tell him it was the older style of driving licence than the one he had. Instead of even considering this for a moment, he proceeded to berate us rather loudly, still telling me there was no way this could be real.

One of the friends I was with also had exactly the same style of driving licence as myself, which we were then told was also fake! Our driving licences were then taken away from us for about 20 minutes why we waited, embarrassed, annoyed and frankly just wanting to leave this pub. When the man from behind the bar finally returned we were once again told they were fake and that he had shown his manager, who we then asked to see. By this point my friends and I were incredulous, but also were annoyed we were being treated in this way when we had done absolutely nothing wrong and had simply wanted a quiet drink. The manager then continued to say that in her 20 years of living in England she had never seen a driving licence like this!? I appreciate bar staff have a job to do to tackle underage drinking, but the treatment we received from the staff was unacceptable and we were made to feel like criminals. It's a shame that a group of adults should be treated in this way - frankly we were embarassed and they should be too.

3  Thank Gemma B