“Excellent from start to finish (Pappardelle upstairs)”

Pappardelle Ristorante and Osteria
Ranked #6 of 53 Restaurants in Arundel
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Ground floor Osteria open all day for Musetti coffee, homemade pastries lunches and fully stocked bar of over 60 wines and 20 grappa all available to sample by the glass. First floor traditional Italian Ristorante with intimate atmosphere and delicious homemade measls and desserts. Booking essential at the weekend.
Bucks, England
“Excellent from start to finish (Pappardelle upstairs)”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

It's rare that to leave a restaurant 100% pleased with the welcome, ambiance, food & service. Truly faultless.

The waiting staff were all knowledgeable & passionate about the food and knew the dishes and extensive dessert menu like the back of their hand. Our particular waitress was fun, friendly and engaging. I'm only sorry I didn't catch her name to mention.

The food was fantastic and excellent value. Well done Pappardelle. You've got it spot on!

Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
“Great coffee and cakes in the Osteria downstairs”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We haven't eaten in the restaurant upstairs for a long time but we make a point of having a coffee in the excellent Osteria downstairs. It is a favourite destination when out for a weekend cycle ride in the area. We took our visiting French friends there last Saturday and they were impressed by the excellent proper Italian coffees (not what you get if you ask for cappuccino in France!) and their kids loved the real pain au chocolate. Service is fast and friendly and the canteen style ambience with long copper covered refectory tables with swivel seats is cosy. There is even a glass panel in the floor by the cake display that let's you see the old cellar. My only regret is they no longer serve their delicious Italian speciality, a lightly toasted slice of pandoro with mascarpone flavoured with Grand Marnier. If some more people go there and ask for it maybe they'll reintroduce it...?

Chichester, England, United Kingdom
“Poor hygiene”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I often go into this café/restaurant for a light meal or more likely a lovely cup of coffee. Last Saturday evening I witnessed the Manager play with a customers puppy dog for 3-4 minutes who playfully slobbered over his hand. He then returned to his position behind the bar, using the same hand to touch the coffee machine, rub his face and then serve food to poor unsuspecting customers, no thought of washing his hands or any basic hygiene. I am sorry but I expect better than this, you have lost my custom now.

1 Thank Stephen W
clive m, Owner at Pappardelle Ristorante and Osteria, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
I have spoken to our manager who was on duty during the 'dog slobbering' incident, and, as befits a business with a 5 star hygiene rating from the Environmental Health Officer at Arun District Council, Mark did thoroughly cleanse his hands after coming into contact with the dog in question. The inability of this customer to realise this is probably because the alcohol based hand sanitizer dispensing unit is hidden behind a pillar next to the coffee machine, and therefore not visible to our guests. Surely, if he HADN'T cleansed his hands thoroughly he certainly wasn't going to touch his face afterwards! Instead of posting a one star review on Tripadvisor, (which has to be balanced by many more positive reviews) perhaps a word with Mark at the time to allow him to allay this customers fears would not have resulted in a misleading and INCORRECT review being posted.
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
“Poor service”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We ordered two small dishes at £3.50 each with wine as it was mid afternoon, not lunch time. After a long wait we received two incorrect dishes of food. I pointed this out and the waitress apologised and took them back. We then waited for what we had ordered and were given two dishes twice the size and cost of what we had ordered. I pointed this out to the waitress but she said these were what we had ordered ie the small versions, so we had no choice but to eat them. Upon settling our bill the person who took our money, who I believe may have been a manager, then pointed out that we had had the two larger meals. When I said that I had already pointed this out to the waitress she didn't apologise but intimated that we had done well as she was only going to charge us £3.50 each! It is this that I found more disappointing than the two mix ups of our orders. I was paying for what I ordered after twice having been given incorrect food so a sincere apology would have been most appropriate. I have eaten here before and like the atmosphere and menu, as a counter-balance to my comments.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Debra P
London, England
“The perfect Saturday lunch”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We had a casual Saturday lunch for five sitting downstairs at the long copper-topped table. Relaxed but efficient service from smiley waitresses, and the restaurant was buzzy but not noisy. Delicious chicken caesar salads with perfectly tender chicken. Perfect for a weekend lunch and a break from the hard slog round all the gorgeous antique shops!

• Visited October 2013