“Outstanding”

The Bay Tree
Ranked #7 of 54 Restaurants in Arundel
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, British
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

A tastefully understated but very welcoming little restaurant. Service and food genuinely difficult to find fault with (they accommodated specific menu requests with aplomb). A party of five and everything was executed perfectly.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

We had a meal at The Bay Tree whilst staying near Arundel. The restaurant was quite busy for a week night but remained quaint with a pleasant ambience with diners of all age groups. We ordered Goats cheese spring rolls and Chorizo and Halloumi for starters which were both tasty. We ordered the swordfish and my partner ordered the Pork Belly as mains - the swordfish wasn't bad but my partner's pork belly was better and I wish I had ordered that instead! The service was friendly and attentive. The food (as pointed out by some other reviewers) is possibly a little overpriced but not excessively so and to be honest when I received the bill - £85 for two courses each and two bottles of wine it didn't seem unreasonable. However I am used to paying London prices! Overall I would say this is a good little restaurant and I would eat here again.

3  Thank 564Simonw2014
Reviewed August 17, 2014

The staff were all very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The food was superb, from starter to dessert, with a good variety of choices to suit most people. A very pleasant little restaurant, and a lovely atmosphere. Not the cheapest meal you will ever have, but the quality of the food and service make it worth every penny.

1  Thank Tony N
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Went here on Saturday and was a little underwhelmed by the whole experience. We sat outside and it has to be said the waitress warned us that there was a wait for food however there were a few things that were missing.

We sat down but no one spoke to us initially and we had to go into the restaurant to ask for menus. When the menus came out the waitress explained about the wait and left us to look at the food and drink available. We ordered a glass of Viognier, a coke, the soup, the garlic mushrooms, the crab linguine and the lamb burger.

The Viognier was vastly over priced, £7.20 for a glass of wine was ridiculous, an OK wine but we live in London and would expect superb wine at this price. The food arrived and the soup was really tasty, a thick tomato and pepper soup with a nice piece of ciabatta. My wife said her mushrooms were very tasty although they looked to me like they were swimming in fat, however she was very pleased with them. My wife's lamb burger was good and cooked as ordered. Again she was pleased and overall would give this place a 4 out of 5. However my crab linguine was average. The pasta was overlooked (although only slightly) the crab just didn't taste that fresh and there was quite a bit of chilli so the delicate flavours of the crab were lost. The portion size was huge and I got about half way through and just gave up. I would not have it again.

The service was a bit hit and miss as the waitresses as they seemed focused just on one table at a time. They come out with food or the idea to take the order of one table and then go back in, rather than looking around to see if other customers need service.

Shame as we really enjoyed our day in Arundel but I am sure there are better places to eat than this.

1  Thank Wildsnoopster
Reviewed August 17, 2014

A very enjoyable lunch with high-quality product in sophisticated setting. Our trip coincided with the Arundel festival, so they seemed a little rushed off their feet with the rush of customers. This did make service somewhat erratic, although the waitress was charming and coped with the situation well. A little overpriced for some of the simpler dishes - brushetta was nearly £11, whereas the king prawn ciabatta was somewhat less, for no discernible reason. The evening menu seems rather pricey, but given the location and the quality of the product, may well be justified.