“A lovely relaxed treat”

Coombe Abbey Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 570 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Scenic view, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“A lovely relaxed treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

I was treated to a cream tea here by a friend. It's such a lovely quiet relaxed atmosphere and setting, a real retreat from the hustle and bustle. I was surprised how filling a few little finger sandwiches and little cakes could be and anything you don't manage they but in a box for you to enjoy at home. Gluten free and vegetarian requests were handled well with still a varied selection. Staff were busy but polite. It's definitely worth a visit.

• Polish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Expensive Cheese sandwiches”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Visited for Afternoon Tea as a birthday treat for my mum. Upon arrival, advised that I am vegetarian (which we had also mentioned at time of booking) and I was asked if i eat gelatine, or fish, as apparently 'some vegetarians do'! After a small discussion regarding what a vegetarian is, or isn't we were seated and left to make our choices.
Drinks were ordered (a few members of our party had soft drinks which were served very quickly).
Menu choices were then ordered - and again, I mentioned that I was vegetarian - so we were quite surprised when the sandwiches were brought out and I had been given meat, and fish, and a jelly. After pointing out that I wouldn't eat these I was brought a plate of three fingers of cheese sandwiches and a vanilla slice. You do also get a scone, and some bite size cakes/pastries. The cream tea looked to be a nicer option and better value for money.
The setting is nice, however the place could do with a good clean - the ceiling fans and floor partitions were really dusty, and the floor could do with a sweep. We also had some dirty cutlery.
The staff were all neatly turned out and were polite at all times. However I wasn't over convinced at their knowledge of food contents and if anyone had a food allergy or intolerance I wouldn't want to risk it there.
Overall, it was nice, but I would probably spend the same money having a nice meal elsewhere.

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Lovely Food Elegant Surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

We have stayed at Coombe Abbey a couple of times and booked into their restaurant, It was lovley to go for a walk in the Abbey's Country Park before dinner the restaurant is very elegant and well laid out, the staff where attentive and the food was beautiful. you do need to book in advance to avoid disapointment, but it is well worth a visit, after dinner we enjoyed a drink in the comfortable seating area which takes you back in time, very relaxing and the breakfast was very good to. :o)

• Visited August 2013
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Move over 'Masterchef' - come and learn to do it properly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Last night I and two friends (who came as a part of their Golden wedding celebrations) came for a meal at Coombe Abbey.
I cannot speak too highly of the superb evening we had. The Restaurant Manager and his Supervisor were excellent - they really looked after us. What I liked about them was the fact that they were friendly, helpful but never intrusive. They knew exactly what was going on and were - in a word - outstanding.
I cannot praise the highly trained waiting staff enough. Again, nothing was too much trouble. Their Menu Knowledge was excellent and I was impressed with the way they discussed the dishes on offer. As a former Head Waiter of the Hilton Hotel, Coventry, I tend to be super critical when dining out.
The meal was - simply - fantastic. Each plate was a picture - beautifully presented. They tasted as good (if not better) than they looked. We had trout to begin - superb. I had lamb and this fell off the bone. The Sweets were simply to die for.
The meal was beautifully timed. Unhurried - but as said, the Manager knew exactly where we were and his timing was brilliant.
So, to return to the headline!! I would suggest that if John and Greg Wallace from 'Master Chef' had brought their finalists to Coombe, they would have had a Master Class in fine dining. They would have learnt how to treat their customers, learnt how to present food, and learnt how to cook splendid dishes.
I cannot speak too highly of this meal.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea - venue lovely but service just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is the third time we've visited for afternoon tea and whilst the food was fine (not great) and they had extended their menu which was good, we were quite disappointed by the extremely slow service and they weren't particularly busy on that day. We were celebrating a special birthday and had advised them of this when making the booking and told they would do a birthday plate which unfortunately they didn't. 2 of our party had the Knights special, afternoon teas, which was a nice change for the gents in our party but did seem somewhat expensive for what they received.

2 Thank Sausages121