“Do NOT go on the murder mystery night!!!!”

Coombe Abbey Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 568 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Do NOT go on the murder mystery night!!!!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

A friend and I came to the Murder Mystery night on 15/2. It was an evening we were both really looking forward to. I have been to coombe for a few events over the years the medieval banquets, dinner in the restaurant and more recently I hired a private dining room for my 40th birthday and everything about that night was spot on!!! However the Murder Mystery was a BIG disappointment. I never expected a murder mystery night to follow the same format as the medieval banquets really it should be advertised as a murder mystery banquet. Firstly the seating was awful and very uncomfortable and we were sat in a draft all night, the food was very below par I’m not sure what the starter was but it smelt like cat food. The main course was very over cooked; I think the only thing that was ok was the desert. The story was rubbish and not very engaging and the breaks in-between were left blank no music, no nothing it completely lacked any sort of atmosphere. The actors looked like they couldn’t be bothered really there was only one (the girl who played Gwen) who was any good and engaged the audience, lady whoever she was, the sheriff, the brother and the lord were awful it reminded me of a junior school play that was running through a dress rehearsal. A total disappointment and everyone near us was saying the same that it was a complete let down a waste of money.
I certainly would not be recommend anyone to trying it unless you want to be bored to death for the night. I think it is just a money making exercise for them that takes minimum effort on their part. If I purchased something from a shop that was substandard I would take it back for a refund!

6 Thank Lulu312

• Polish first
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
“Dinner for two”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Good service. Good food. Not rushed. Nice and relaxing. Staff were very helpful. Portion sizes not too big

Visited February 2013
Corby, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Well worth it!!”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband took me here for Valentines as a surprise, and I'm so glad he did. The room was available slightly earlier than stated. When we found the room, forgot to ask at the desk, we were stunned by the detail and features. The 4 poster looked amazing, but later found it a little uncomfortable but my husband liked it. Amazing amount of wardrobe space, there were also two irons and ironing boards.
On the wall there is a cupboard with a kettle, cups, tea, coffee etc
on the table there was a bowl of fruit, bottle of water, bottle of Appletiser and a decanter of Cognac, wow these guys really thought of everything :)
Lots of towels in the bathroom, hot water after a while and tissues a plenty.
Really warm room and than enough blankets on the bed. Lovely little box of chocolates left and a little note about the next days weather when the staff come in and do their turn down service.
The staff were all polite and helpful. My only little niggles, sofa uncomfortable, non fixed shower head and the room could do with more lighting, but other than that its amazing and I can't wait to go back :)

• Visited February 2013
Corby, United Kingdom
“Perfect getaway”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Just returned from our valentines getaway to Coombe Abbey and have to say it was fantastic. We stayed in the Princess Elizabeth suite with its four poster bed and charming bathroom with roll topped bath, tucked away up a private staircase in the room. View of the moat from the window and all of the little extras (plus some) that you would expect to find in your room. The complimentary brandy was a nice touch :)

The staff were as friendly as you like and we were always greeted with a welcoming smile and fantastic service.

We ate out at night so comments on the food are limited to breakfast, but no complaints there. I highly recommend the sausages - all killer and no filler!! - that's one meaty piece of porky goodness :)

If you are able, pay the extra for a feature room. You won't be disappointed, I guarantee.

Reading some of the negative reviews, I can only assume they stayed at a different hotel from us because our experience would top class.

If I was to be HIGHLY critical, I will warn that Wi-Fi signal is limited in the rooms as is phone and 3G. Hardly surprising considering the 3ft thick medieval walls. Great signal in the bar and communal areas if you need it. Also, the hot water takes a little while to get to temperature so be patient before putting the plug in the bath :)

None of this would prevent me from rating this destination as 5* or from recommending it to any readers.

I hope you've found this review helpful but please be aware that we WILL be returning and will fight you for the feature rooms if you've booked them before us!! :)

• Visited February 2013
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Poor for the price”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I visited Coombe for an overnight stay, bed and breakfast with my partner. We had an evening meal in the restaurant from the a la carte menu. It was very poor. Small portions, bland taste. Very expensive. I won't be going again. I could have cooked something myself for a tenth of the price that was far more tasty. It was a real let down. I can say that the bread that was served with the meal was heavenly and the puddings and coffee were nice. But the main meal...I definitely would never recommend.

• Visited December 2012