“The best cream tea I've ever tasted!”

Coombe Abbey Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 577 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: British
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“The best cream tea I've ever tasted!”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I've been here twice now for a cream tea and would go back every week if I could justify it! The dining room/conservatory is absolutely beautiful and for the second visit we sat in one of the gorgeous bird cage/draped areas. This was so romantic and private (if a little hot on the day we chose!). The cream tea is surprisingly good value (£7.95) for the setting and the quality. The scones are the absolute best I've ever tasted and I've raved about them to so many people ever since. They are large, fresh and tasty. Two scones is just about all that I could manage so I don't know how people pack in the sandwiches etc too when they order the afternoon tea. The service was a little bit slow but we weren't in any hurry so it really wasn't an issue.

We went for a walk in the grounds afterwards and they were a really lovely way to spend an hour on a sunny day.

• Visited May 2012

• Polish first
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“medieval banquet”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

went to the abbey with a group of girls and I have to disagree with most peoples views on the food and service itself. Yes it was use the fingers but no one seemed to mind. The spare rib was delicous as was the chicken served after with a good sized jacket potato and salad. The entertainers did well to keep everyone singing and laughing and we all had a great night out. We went on to the disco and found time to have a look around it really is a beautiful place and would have loved to have stopped the night.

• Visited February 2013
“Poor organisation but pulled it back with good food and ambience”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The table organisation for Sunday afternoon tea was very poor. We waited at the 'stand here' sign for 10 minutes to eventually be told to come back in 20 minutes. When we did the queue at the 'stand here' sign had extended to the degree that enforced a further 20 minute wait. A pity because once reaching the front the staff are polite and helpful but rushed off their feet. Sunday afternoon understandably is a busy time but I feel they should organise themselves better because afternoon tea at Coombe Abbey is a treat and customers shouldn't be queuing in a line longer than acceptable at McDonald's. The tea itself is absolutely lovely, the surroundings very pleasing and the staff were apologetic and pleasant. I would go again but maybe on a weekday when it's less busy.

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Coombe Abbey Hotel and Resturant”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I visited for a wedding in 2011 and I was very impressed with it. Although I did not stay the night I saw my great auntie's hotel room and it was of a good size even if the decor was a little old

Midlands
“Afternoon Tea - A real treat!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We came here today for afternoon tea to celebrate a friends 40th birthday. First impressions were great, the entrance is very grand and there are clear directions of where to go. We were shown to our table in the garden restuarant which is a beautiful space, and although it was fully booked, it didn't seem crowded at all. We were a group of 4 women and 2 children, we were looked after by a waiter called Sofaklis who was very professional and helpful and made us feel very welcome. The afternoon tea itself is a visual feast for the eye (as well as the tastebuds!) it is generous and we could not finish it all! The whole experience was one of indulgence and was such a treat for us all, we will definately be going back soon.

• Visited January 2013