“Pity it's not great as it's walking distance”
Review of The White Lion

The White Lion
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Lion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #323 of 582 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The White Lion in Allesley is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Pity it's not great as it's walking distance”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Ordered tuna steak, rare. Came overcooked, the consistency of tinned tuna. When I mentioned this they said they couldn't cook fish any other way than very well done for health and safety reasons! Are the fish old or the chef untrained? Also keep their red wine under the lights means it spoils and tastes bad by the glass.

• Visited February 2012

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Inedible meal”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Ordered rib eye steak medium to well done, meal arrived and the steak was so charred it was inedible, returned to kitchen by helpful waitress. She also took my partners meal to be kept warm, my steak was returned better cooked but partners meal was now very dry. Dissapointed that the owner or manager never apoligised and all was left to waitress. Left tip for waitress but advised that a good chef would never have served that meal. Visted here before and had good meals. Pity it was my birthday today, spoiled a good day. Will think twice before returning and will no longer recommend. Shame bit better service from management or even a courtesy drink while we waited would have made a difference!!!!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Lin P
“Disappointed”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I live down the road from this pub therefore my local, I visited with members of my family the day after my daughters wedding. Sunday lunchtime per booked a table for 9 adults and 3 children, not my first choice would have preferred a pub further up the road. Service very poor waited nearly 1hr15mins for main coarse after starter also long time for drinks to be brought to table. Food was average nothing special. I visit this pub rarely and I can remember it before it became part of the chain, much better food then. Will not be visiting in the future

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Frank C
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“A tucked away jewel”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Great service very fresh food with a varied menu ( I had the Venison which is highly recomended)had a great evening in a freindly atmosphere

Visited September 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A bit hit and miss”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Been going here for many years. Convenient location and I would say fine for a quick lunch. Recent dinner was very disappointing. We (8 people) were asked to be seated at our table as soon as we arrived (18:30), they wouldn't serve us drinks at the bar, then waited 15mins to be asked for our drinks order. We had to ask for menus, then waited 15mins for them to take our order. Waited 45 mins for starters to arrive. Had to request more drinks, had to ask for the starters to be cleared. Waited another 20 mins for main courses. Decided we would skip coffeee and deserts due to a desire to get home before sun rise.
This is not a gastro pub and I didn't expect it to be, however, the food was mediocre. Plaice was over cooked, tuna was over done, french onion soup was like Bisto gravy with onions - would have been nice with liver but not as soup. My guests didn't complain but I could tell the smiles were forced. I wouldn't mind but it's not as though this is a difficult menu and all they need to do is assemble the dish and make sure it's properly heated through.

I did feel sorry for the waitress who did a great job under the circumstances.

I spoke to the assistant manager and he did offer an apology and if I had really pushed it I am sure he would have reduced the bill, which I had closed, but he wasn't bending over backwards and I just wanted to get my guests back to thier hotels.

I put this down to a combination of an unexpectedly busy mid week evening, inexperienced front of house staff, lack of supervision and under staffed kitchen.

Would I go back - yes for lunch but not dinner.

• Visited October 2012