“slow boat to China Red”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 22, 2012

first, the place is called CHINA Red, not Chine Red as listed in TripAdvisor. Went there with a large group of around 24 on Dec 22nd 2012 at just after 6pm. Prebooked. The room allocated was much too small; we were moved to a bigger room. Waiters were totally disorganised and unable to cope with taking orders. 2 menus were given out - they hadn't noticed till I showed them the differences that they hadn't removed all copies of their previous menu. Chaotic and slow service. It would help to write things down properly and number each group of orders. Food actually tasted very good once anyone got anything. They were still bringing out dishes in a totally haphazard fashion after some people had finished. I never actually got the correct items! Will never go there again.

2  Thank sharkli

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I just had take away from Chine Red. It was supposed to be noodles with King Prawn but afterall there were only 3 Prawns and the rest filled with noddles.

Also I have been told there is no buffet (eat as much as you want) anymore...

Honestly don't see any point of going back there.

2  Thank MurielIten
Reviewed November 11, 2012

There are several All you can eat Chinese restaurants in Coventry, but China Red is the only one that has the benefit of a la carte - Buffet style. For the same price as Red Panda and Cosmo which are other buffet restaurants in Coventry (Canteen style), you can choose as much or as little as you want from the menu and it is brought to your table. When we entered the restaurant, we noticed a lot of chinese customers scattered around - I always think if you see a chinese person in a chinese restaurant then its a good sign! We ordered around 6 starters between us including Peking duck and all arrived within 15 minutes and the food was hot and very enjoyable. Don't be fooled into thinking that because it is buffet, you get any less. Each portion of starters and mains were the same size as I would expect if I was paying at a normal restaurant. We were full after the starters but still ordered a main, just because we could.

There is lots of choice and you don't get dessert included in the menu. This doesn't matter though because everyone knows that the desserts in chinese and indian restaurants are the pre packed ice creams that nobody really likes. The ambience in the restaurant, we found quite romantic and the waiter that served us was rather beautiful (Extra brownie points!) - Our bill included 2 buffets and 2 Tiger beers and came to £33.00. I reckon if we had eaten at a chinese restaurant that charged for each starter and main, we would have probably come away with a bill for around £75. They do have a rule that you don't waste food. It is a pointless exercise to order something just for the sake of it, so we made sure we polished off the majority of the food.. I didn't eat many of the chips that came with the main but managed to hide them in various places; in the left over curry, in my ear, down my pants etc so that I didn't get told off (Did I mention that I'm a ninja?) That said, I don't think they would ever bother anyhow unless someone really took the pee!

If you go through the day, they have a lunch buffet that is self serve, It is little more than a fiver and there is very limited choice. However, still enjoyable but for this I'd pay an extra couple of quid and go to Cosmo.

People forget about the smaller quality restaurants when chains start taking over. Don't forget this little hidden gem, it deserves to be a success!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Attended China Red for a meal with friends. Starters were fab. Main meal not so good two meals arrived Luke warm, three meals arrived with no rice, 6th meal arrived half hour after everyone else. Accompaniments arrived an hour after main meal after lots of chasing we were told meals were missed off the ticket even though was all ordered together. we tried to speak to the manager but he would not come and talk to us. When he came with the bill we explained again he became very loud and intimidating. He was rude to us as customers and would not listen to our point of view. He insisted they were busy which I appreciate but you would not go anywhere else to eat and receive half of the guests meals 1/2 hour after everyone else's. I am dissapointed as it started of so well. I won't be returning and suggest the staff and management need to attend customer service training!

1  Thank Eleanor W
Reviewed September 20, 2012

no imagination, average service, no atmosphere, tended to remind me of a works canteen. Staff were a bit impersonal. reasonable value

2  Thank Mrbling