““Definite must-visit restaurant!!!””

Ranked #4 of 584 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Turmeric Gold, an award winning restaurant, has been serving great Indian food with a healthy twist for over a decade in the beautiful, historic surrounding of a 700 year old cottage going back to the 13th century. Come and enjoy good food in the charm of our luxury historic setting .Turmeric Gold has been showered with many accolades and awards for customer service and good food, with excellent selection of wines and beers, spirits and champagne.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
““Definite must-visit restaurant!!!””
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Absolutely 5* food here! Would not hesitate to come back! I can't rate the restaurant highly enough! It's a hidden gem with authentic interior, excellent staff and service, and the menu was fantastic! The menu explained what everything was and the gave a brief description of each of the dishes, so not being an overly adventurous eater, it was perfect. When the food arrived - there wasn't a delay at all, it was sublime. Can't fault the place at all! If you want an Indian in coventry, this is the place to go! As far as value for money

• Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“A load of Junkers!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Lady P fancies a new pooch to clear her land of Peasants (no, I didn't mean Pheasants!) so she decided a trip to Crufts was in order. Fearful that the barking in Brum might keep her awake, from the dogs or the residents she didn't say, we opted for a night in Coventry. A city famous for Lady Godiva, The Specials and coming second to the Luftwaffe in the 1940 Edition of X-Factor. As always, when faced with a strange city, we hit the pages of Tripadvisor and decided to splash our Scooby Snacks in an 'uptown' Curry House called Turmeric Gold. Upon entering, on what appeared to be a boring Wednesday night even by Midlands standards, we were given a pre poured Mango Smoothie, from under the counter, in a shooter glass. Thereby saving that all important 2-3 seconds waiting time of the 'poured to order' variety.
The next thing that hits you is although T.G's (if they can pre pour smoothies to save time, I can abbreviate a restaurants name so ner!) website would have you believe you were about to dine in the closest thing England can come to a Maharaja's Palace, the restaurant is actually a bit of a pokey, narrow cottage affair. Claustrophobics should probably look elsewhere for their monthly meeting.
After telling P that this was more a Bollywood than Bollinger affair, we decided on a couple of pints of Indian lager (probably made in Burton although I'd like to think handmade as they were a whooping £4.50 each!!) and then some truly boring popadums (there are several ways to spell them so don't get cheeky), the spicy ones did though manage to rise to an underwhelming. Choosing a main course was slightly more problematic. The dishes seemed to be either mild or hot. You will never be able to contact the dearly departed in T.G's as it's in desperate need of a good medium. Conscious that I would be at 'the dogs' the next day, and not wanted to bend over to stroke a Great Dane and find that there was a 'Shittzu' behind me I opted for the mild experience. A Persian Lamb (Iranian Lamb just wasn't selling the same) dish with chickpeas and it's own rice, in case you didn't feel grown up enough to choose some for yourself. Sadly, I'd wished I had ordered my own too as the rice, although lovingly shaped into a Pyramid, would not of been enough to cover Tutankhamuns toe nail clippings! The Lamb was certainly tender, but in a quantity that a vegetarian could eat the dish without the slightest tug of conscience! The 'subtle spicing' was so subtle as to make a grilled cod loin taste like a Vindaloo in comparison. A sniff of a Bounty Bar had more coconut than the Pashwari nan I ordered. Gawd' knows what the plain one would of tasted like.... There are some Indian's that can provide a wonderful feast for the £13+ it cost for my main course, without getting the reviews that the taste deprived residents of Sky Blue Central seem to give T.G's (I'll go full name in a minute I promise) Lady P enjoyed her Vegetarian selection but I put that down to giddiness from me driving around Coventry City Centre 4 times looking for a road that wasn't closed or diverted. (Revenge enough for this review I assure you!!)
I can't say I believe 'posh' and 'curry' should ever be in the same sentence but if you must go up market there are many better places to choose that Turmeric Gold (told you), the brilliant Anoki in Derby for instance. The good people of Coventry defied Hitler so isn't it time they blew a Raspberry at a restaurant that no amount of fancy dressing will ever cover its ordinariness?

3 Thank CumbrianCowboy
CV_reviewer, Manager at Turmeric Gold, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
after reading your review we appreciate any constructive views that help us develop and better ourselves , but with you clear cynical views with the lutfa, and Hitler . it is not apparent what you want to say , as customer service and customer care policy, we have it as a vital policy for our guest to sometimes let us know at the first instance when displeased , it refer to a page in the menu of customer care.
there again also your Cambridge affiliated , but you have no reviews of any Indianrestaurant th their and at same time tripadvisor doesn't allow you to promote other restaurant but you have in derby and it is clear. riddled in your dislike of things it is better to be direct and constructive and our attempts would be more in trying to pleasing you . . tripadvisor has been noted on panorama bbc to have reviews that tend be destructive without any constructive essence .these reviewer abusiveness but try to ruin their hard work and reputations ,as much as restaurant that have single votes that are promoted by family friends rating them high , it clearly is good but at the same time their is alot of false promotions going on . we at turmeric gold value all constructive views be they negative to help us grow and be they positive to help us excel and maintain standars
Coventry, United Kingdom
“A Pleasure”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

After a recommendation from a friend, I decided to take my girlfriend for a meal there. As soon as we walked through the door we felt welcomed and valued. The decor was beautiful and the food and service were outstanding. All staff members were very polite and very well presented. I will be recommending this restaurant to others on behalf of us both. P.S. watch out for the ghost!

Herefordshire
“Found this great place thanks to Tripadvisor”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed in Coventry on business last November and following a disastrously poor meal at JDWetherspoons (The Flying Standard) the night before we called upon Tripadvisor to save us from another poor night in an unfamiliar city

Turmeric Gold was featured highly in terms of reviews and we were not disappointed.

Fortunately we'd phoned ahead to book, as despite being a weeknight it was full. The food was excellent, and the dishes on offer expanded beyond the standard curry house menu.

Wholeheartedly recommend this restaurant

• Visited November 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Simply the best”
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Went there to celebrate a freinds birthday party the food was fantastic the service was very good the place it self had a lovely atmosphere it was packed out and that is saying somthing turmeric gold simpy the best cant wait to return

1 Thank mowazzam