“Michael G”

Pizza Express - Coventry
Ranked #117 of 568 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Bright and modern, PizzaExpress Coventry Hay Lane offers an exciting reinvention of Italian classics. A vibrant menu includes wholesome Romana-style pizzas with adventurous topping combinations, as well as fresh salads, an impressive range behind the bar and aromatic coffee blends. Family-friendly Pizza Express gives kids the chance to design their own pizzas.
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Michael G”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This Pizza Express being only 50 metres from the Belgrade theatre is ideal for a pre=theatre dinner, the service is quick but not hurried, the food fresh and tasty and the service was relaxed but yet effecient, only had just over 1 hour, but managed to have a full meal and sweets and a few drinks and still arrived at the theatre on time. We only go this restaurant if there is something worth seeing at the theatre, but really should go more often as everything was spot on.

• Visited October 2012

• Turkish first
Coventry, UK
“Let me be honest....”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Having received a gift card to the value of £40 for Pizza Express as a gift for Christmas (fankoo very much aunty Ann!), myself and the hubby decided to visit today for a 3 course lunch to celebrate me being wonderful (passed driving theory but any excuse to consume my body weight.) Pizza Express isn't usually a restaurant that we would frequent, so I did check whether we could visit anywhere else with the gift card. Unfortunately not...We originally looked at the offers available and found that you could have 3 courses for £12.95. However, unless you wanted dust, followed by dust with dust as dessert, it seemed a poor choice so with a whooooooooole £40 to spend, we went hardcore off the menu. The reason I say hardcore is that £12 for a pizza is ridiculous by anybodies standards.

Firstly, this restaurant is little over 18 months old. There is a more intimate pizza express based in hay lane if that tickles your tonsils and is around 15 minute walk from this one. Walking into this one, it is very spacious, very clean and very canteen like. It would not be a place to take someone for a romantic meal unless you are 13 years old. However, it has a very contemporary feel to it compared to that of Hay Lane Pizza Express which is more traditional effect. Throughout our meal, we were greeted by ages between 2-10 wailing the place down and mothers not bothering unless it went above 180 decibels which obviously affected the feel of the place a little.

We were seated quickly enough having booked a table for 12.30pm. Our waiter looked a little bit homeless and didn't wow us with his attitude but we won't hold that against him as it is the horrible part in between Christmas and new year. For a starter, we had the meatballs and the mushroom bruschetta. As dirty as naming it Funghi on the menu sounds, both of the starters were absolutely gorgeous and set us off to a really good start. We noticed towards the end of finishing starter that things seemed to be getting busier and service was slowing down considerably but that was fine.

Now comes the problem - It seems that 2/3 of the meny items contain chillies/tobasco/jalepenos. Not been a fan of spices, I decided on something that to me sounded safe:

Romana Etna
Hot soft n'duja sausage, roquito peppers, speck ham, grana padano

As this wasn't entitled anything hot, had no mention of chillies/cajun spices and had no warning about it being hot, I ordered this. My partner had the Calzone. Oh the horror! Now, I assumed peppers were peppers and mentioning a roquito peppers just meant that they were posh peppers. I know I wasn't been completely thick because my other half didn't know what they were either and he is the handsome one with the brains. When the pizza came, I cut out a slice and my mouth was filled with the horror of what could only be described as chillies on top of chillies... and chillies. You catch my drift I'm sure.

I called the homeless man across. Unlike me to complain but something didn't seem right.

"Is this the Etna?" I asked.
"It is." He replied.
"Are you sure? It is really hot!" I begged.
"It definitely is." Was his answer.
"But it is really REALLY hot... It says pepper on the menu and I was trying to avoid hot." I pleaded.
"Ah yeah, roquito peppers are really hot mate, init. Most the stuffs hot on the menu though" How very italian of him.
"But, where is the ham?" Giving up at this point.
"I can't see any ham. Humph... I suppose I could ask him to put you another one in with ham on?" he concluded.

At the risk of having them spit in it, and with my other halves pizza already cooling at a ridiculous pace, with the only additional benefit been fire in my mouth with ham included, I declined but had he mentioned at the beginning that this pizza was spicy, I wouldn't have put myself through the ordeal. Having googled roquito peppers, I find: "These are fantastic little red chillies that manage to pack a lot of heat for their size." Why they couldn't have called them chillies or mentioned spice, I'll never know. However, consider me educated.

Service slowed down to a halt after our meal and after our plates were taken (he didn't ask if we enjoyed it and it is probably best that he didn't considering the circumstances) we relied on a waiter from the other side of the restaurant to bring us a dessert menu. To cut it short, we had the cheesecake and the banoffee tart and after 30 minutes, we received our desserts which were bland and very disinteresting. For a bill 40 pence short of £60, for 2 I have eaten 10 times better at other places for a % of what they charge.

And pizza express, PLEASE start putting chillies or something next to your dishes if you are going to insist on offering such a large selection of mega hot pizzas!!

Would we visit here again? Never - Purely on principle. If I have to visit through no choice of my own, I would make sure it was the Hay Lane Pizza Express next time and be sure I asked 101 questions before ordering any dish.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Ultrazonixe
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Nice”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Nice fresh food. Was freshly cooked. They have good online offers making you,re food excellent value for money.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Diane B
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Good fallback for pre theatre / cinema dinner”
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

To be honest I have a hierarchy of Pizza Expresses as they do vary in quality & service - the days of express service seem to have gone for relaxed service. That said the pizzas are still cut above most, reasonable wine selection and the baked cheesecake is really good. Exceptional value when downloaded voucher and the app really helps in this respect.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed the place and the food - good service too!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Following a disappointing experience at Bella Italia we chose Pizza Express for our next pre-theatre meal and a good choice it was too. We had booked on the internet and all was well when we arrived, the service was efficient & friendly so no complaints there.

The starters were simple but good - good ingredients well prepared. For main I had a special cheffy pizzas which was really very good indeed and my wife had one of their pizzas with a hole in the middle which she thought was excellent. One bit of cheesecake with two spoons finished off a very reasonable meal.

Along with Strada we think the food in this chain is the most consistently reliable we have experienced.

• Visited October 2012