“Hotel basically ok”

Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Ilkley, United Kingdom
“Hotel basically ok”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Had booked two rooms for ice hockey play-off this weekend. We booked through Booking.com for £140, yet receptionist tried to charge us £30 more. Luckily I had copy of booking confirmation. Then they demanded £30 cash "security deposit" per room, as we were paying by cash - this was not in the booking conditions. I cannot see the point in this either, as we check out before the cleaners check the room, so there appears no point.

Now the rooms. Studio 411. Cold to say the least! No instructions with the thermostat, and no temperature selection - just high or medium speed. The toilet and shower room were like a chiller cabinet.

Good points - breakfast excellent with quality ingredients.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank David C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Greek first
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

easy to find - a huge tower block but upon arriving you realize its surrounding area is down at heel, kebab shops and the like. the lobby is the size of my granny's lounge and everything is grimly functional. I had a huge suite that stunk of smoke (but to be fair it was a smoking room -thats all they had left). It was all very basic and there was nothing at all that lifted the mood. No art or leather sofas in the lobby, nothing tasteful. it reminded me of visiting HMRC . in fact I wonder......no, it couldnt have been ...........

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I picked this hotel because of it's location to the train station. It is a 10min walk from the station and is very easy to find (very large tower!). The rooms were clean and spacious, the bathroom nice with a powerful shower. Also get air-con and free wi-fi in the rooms. The breakfast was good and did a reasonable continental and cooked breakfast. Staff were very helpful. Definitely would go back here if in Coventry again.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Was working nearby for a week so the Ramada seemed the natural choice over the Premier Inn.

I had a good room on the 8th floor - nice view (provided you like urban Coventry) and a separate sofa/living area which was a real godsend for me as I was working hard in the evenings.

Staff were all excellent - really friendly waiting staff and bar staff. The reception managed to split my eventual bill for me as requested and I never had any difficulties.

Breakfast was good - a decent enough choice and enough fruit to go around.

I ate in the hotel each night too - the Italian restaarant is actually very decent and only slightly expensive for what it is. The 2 course with half-bottle of wine is a brilliant deal for lone diners such as I and more hotels and restaurants could learn from this.

Best of all, wifi was FREE and unlimited. A little slow at times but for work it was fine. I think I would have had difficulty streaming sky sports but I guess you can't have everything.

The hotel is a little dated but was clean enough. Being so high up the room was a little cold but not enough to make it uncomfortable. I slept very well each night.

All in all a very good place to stop and very functional. It's not luxury but it seems priced just right for what it is.

Istanbul
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed in a suite at Ramada Coventry and it was a very good experience. Rooms are big, beds are comfortable, wifi functioning very well and food is great. The staff are all very professional and helpful. The hotel is walking distance to the city center but I need to admit that Coventry is not a place where there is lot of action. If you are looking a comfortable hotel in Coventry don't hesitate to count Ramada.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
England
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here on business for a few nights. Breakfast is buffet style and ok although not very warm. Rooms are nice with free wifi. Staff are impersonal. Food expensive, booze expensive but you do not need to eat or drink there as restaurants and bars are close at hand.
Watch the bar staff as measures are free poured into measures they are not to keen on ensuring measure is filled to top.

Times weights and measures visited. Managers should be on top of issues like this. If you are charging top prices you need to ensure your measures are on par.
Would stay here again as it is ok but just be aware it is not top notch so be aware.

Eat and drink out.

Room Tip: Get a high room views are stunning
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mike S, General Manager at Ramada Hotel & Suites Coventry, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear The Liverpool 2

First of all thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay, and we were most pleased to read that you found the accomodation comfortable during your recent visit.

I would also like to thank you for highlighting your concerns regarding service levels within my team, as a team that takes great pride in our customer care and interaction with our guests I am most dissapointed that you felt our warmth & hospitality was not genuine. Had you taken the time during your visit to discuss your comments with any of my management whom work dedicatedly daily through the year, im sure you may not have left the property with the same opinion.

With regards to your comments to weights and measures and our bar team, I can assure you that all of my team are fully trained and we are fully compliant with our legislative responsibilities. As a responsible business and management this is something that we are fully in responsible management of, it is unfortunate that you did not discuss your concerns with me or my team before you vacated the hotel.

Similarly with regards to the food prices and quality of our food & beverage offers, Im sorry to hear you feel that our pricing is not reflective of the quality we deliver, we work dedicatedly to bring the freshest produce sourced locally to our guests, and we offer competitive pricing for our restaurant product. I also agree we are very fortunate to have a plethora of alternate eateries within the vacinity, all of which cater for different dietry tastes, and Im pleased that you were able to dine with one of our neighbours that offer the highest quality asian influenced foods in coventry. We are proud of our Sustainable Italian Restaurant and extremely proud of the food supply chain we deliver for our guests.

When you return on your next visit, I would welcome the opportunity for you to meet me personally to discuss your concerns.

Have a great weekend.

From Mike & All the Team of Ramada Coventry & Stresa Italian Restaurant
Sheffield, England
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed here for one night and enjoyed my visit. Quick check in, immaculate room on 16th floor, very convenient parking and excellent customer service. They didnt bat an eyelid when i told them i had lost my key. Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple