I arrived on a Sunday for an early Monday morning in work and when it is quiet, I always enquire about the cost of an upgrade, this time especially as my wife was coming down mid week. Kelly the receptionist upgraded me (I missed out on the fairway view as the room needed cleaning) and was allocated room 204, which overlooks the front door of the hotel, small parking bay.
Room 204 is old world, a Standard lamp in the corner, large bedside lamps from the 1950. But well decorated and great towels and bed -- a standard size (shame), two easy chairs and a small round table that is too high for the chairs.
As it was Sunday and Kelly had mentioned some of the guests like the lodge building (converted barns?/) I asked to look, hopeful it would be less 1950's. Room 17 - a motel room - small shower room - and worst - small TV bracketed on the wall, too small a room for a table. Bed did look bigger - but not as soft as 204. - I escaped back to room 204
The Lodges have parking nearby - but you have to be quick and an overflow car park. The main hotel a sizeable car part 50 metres away.
The room is well appointed, teas, chocolate and good biscuits. A 1960's tv cabinet with a pull out flat screen - pulls out 2 inches - useless, TV is not that large
Breakfast is served in the fairway restaurant, dinner later. Opens at 06.30am, and the first 25 guests get to order their English breakfast (smoked salmon is good), then they go to buffet - usual suspects and back to orders as the end 09.30 draws near. Their is a full continental fruit etc, too. And you can cut your own bread off a loaf - nice touch. Staff are attentive, but my wife was almost ignored at 08.30am, when she first went.
The spa and facilities are good, but I feel the pool could do with a good clean. There is a walking in (oddest I have ever seen) Jacuzzi fed from the pool so cold bubbles. Stream room seats 10, sauna the same. Watch for the tricky showers pool side and count to 20 before you get in, a cold
We decided to do dinner and the hotel allowed us to change room rate to taken up the £20 - three course meal. The food was good 9you can have anything off the menu). Starters odd, the mains Robs HUGE - too much meat and red cabbage? and cheese and biscuits, but no butter, but the service poor. Inattentive. We were asked and gave feed back - they looked surprised. We went the golf club bar and discovered it does nice meals - fish and chips, burger etc.
The manager came to speak, as he had been told about the feed back in the restaurant and as we said we would have drinks in the bar since we had waited 15 minutes at table, he has come to find us as he wanted feedback. He sat and we talked and he offered to buy us a drink. Nice touch - declined. He is aware that the staff need training.
The hotel main building is a nice traditional hotel, Alarm call you ring and then they call each day = and free wifi.
Sadly a back injury stopped me walking more. the course looks good. The golf course is fully used by locals, as is the fitness and spa. My wife did the Spa day at £89 (lunch included) and had a good full day.
Finally - one odd thing. Their were two bulbs out in the room, one in the standard lamp which I reported and were fixed that day = the standard lamp was removed and never came back.
Note to manager == sell the tv cabinet and replace the table with a lower one, and a nice table and bigger TV - please.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We have the most luxurious rooms available for weekend breaks and business stays in the Birmingham, Coventry, Solihull and the NEC area. Unlike most luxury hotels we also boast golf courses, a health club and a leisure club. You will find that unlike most hotels you will have the opportunity to relax, play sport and dine in fine style. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Best Western Plus Coventry Windmill Village Hotel Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Windmill Village Hotel Golf And Leisure Club
- Windmill Village Coventry