“Solid Traditional Hotel with Spa”

Best Western Plus Coventry Windmill Village Hotel Golf & Spa
Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I arrived on a Sunday for an early Monday morning in work and when it is quiet, I always enquire about the cost of an upgrade, this time especially as my wife was coming down mid week. Kelly the receptionist upgraded me (I missed out on the fairway view as the room needed cleaning) and was allocated room 204, which overlooks the front door of the hotel, small parking bay.

Room 204 is old world, a Standard lamp in the corner, large bedside lamps from the 1950. But well decorated and great towels and bed -- a standard size (shame), two easy chairs and a small round table that is too high for the chairs.

As it was Sunday and Kelly had mentioned some of the guests like the lodge building (converted barns?/) I asked to look, hopeful it would be less 1950's. Room 17 - a motel room - small shower room - and worst - small TV bracketed on the wall, too small a room for a table. Bed did look bigger - but not as soft as 204. - I escaped back to room 204

The Lodges have parking nearby - but you have to be quick and an overflow car park. The main hotel a sizeable car part 50 metres away.

The room is well appointed, teas, chocolate and good biscuits. A 1960's tv cabinet with a pull out flat screen - pulls out 2 inches - useless, TV is not that large

Breakfast is served in the fairway restaurant, dinner later. Opens at 06.30am, and the first 25 guests get to order their English breakfast (smoked salmon is good), then they go to buffet - usual suspects and back to orders as the end 09.30 draws near. Their is a full continental fruit etc, too. And you can cut your own bread off a loaf - nice touch. Staff are attentive, but my wife was almost ignored at 08.30am, when she first went.

The spa and facilities are good, but I feel the pool could do with a good clean. There is a walking in (oddest I have ever seen) Jacuzzi fed from the pool so cold bubbles. Stream room seats 10, sauna the same. Watch for the tricky showers pool side and count to 20 before you get in, a cold

We decided to do dinner and the hotel allowed us to change room rate to taken up the £20 - three course meal. The food was good 9you can have anything off the menu). Starters odd, the mains Robs HUGE - too much meat and red cabbage? and cheese and biscuits, but no butter, but the service poor. Inattentive. We were asked and gave feed back - they looked surprised. We went the golf club bar and discovered it does nice meals - fish and chips, burger etc.

The manager came to speak, as he had been told about the feed back in the restaurant and as we said we would have drinks in the bar since we had waited 15 minutes at table, he has come to find us as he wanted feedback. He sat and we talked and he offered to buy us a drink. Nice touch - declined. He is aware that the staff need training.

The hotel main building is a nice traditional hotel, Alarm call you ring and then they call each day = and free wifi.

Sadly a back injury stopped me walking more. the course looks good. The golf course is fully used by locals, as is the fitness and spa. My wife did the Spa day at £89 (lunch included) and had a good full day.

Finally - one odd thing. Their were two bulbs out in the room, one in the standard lamp which I reported and were fixed that day = the standard lamp was removed and never came back.

Note to manager == sell the tv cabinet and replace the table with a lower one, and a nice table and bigger TV - please.

Room Tip: Room 203 = overlooks the golf course, but I never got it. Go to breakfast before 7am if you are on...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,016)

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 3 x nights last week, at first all seemed fine. Breakfast was ok as long as you could find the bacon and sausage that was cooked on both sides, if you look hard enough you may find it. The next evening I returned to my room to find no bed made, no bathroom cleaned "nothing" upon reporting this at reception I was asked if I had left anything on the bed as the room maids would not make it, I had not left anything on the bed but I thought this surely would not stop them from cleaning the bathroom, a fob off I think. Next morning the toilet would not flush, the next morning after that there was no hot water, another lame excuse from the reception staff came my way. A VERY POOR EXPERIENCE, AND I CERTAINLY WILL NOT RETURN.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
John H, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Coventry Windmill Village Hotel Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Dear Guest,

I do apologise for your experince at our Hotel, your visit will be investigated with all departments involved as this is not the experience we wish our guest's to recieve, we pride ourselves on our service and facilities so I am sorry to read of your disappointment.

Please accept my apologies.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Good quality hotel, I stayed overnight for business, the hotel is as you would expect from a best western, breakfast was plentiful lots of selection, my room was overlooking the golf course which had stunning views, the room was as described with a comfy bed and all the standard amenities.

No particular issues and would stay again.

Additionally it's only a short taxi to the official centre of England the bull pub ! We worth a visit for dinner.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

It is great to see you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for your comments, we do hope to see you again soon when you next visit the NEC.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stayed for a wedding, but I won't be back. The room was dirty and facilities in it of very poor quality: for example, the iron wasn't capable of removing the creases from a new shirt; despite ordering a family room, we had a normal room with two temporary beds - one had to be replaced as slats were missing and my 6 year old daughter fell through when she sat on it.
The hotel was full, but on both mornings there wasn't any hot water for me to shower, so it obviously can't cope with capacity.
Despite reserving space in the restaurant for 68 people, they were unable to cope with the party (which was actually about 40) and allocated one waiter (who I felt very sorry for) to our section - he couldn't cope. It was hardly as if it was a surprise last minute booking! Regrettably, we ordered a starter which took a really unreasonable time to arrive. Some smiles from the staff might have helped?!
Overall, very disappointed!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Simon B

Dear Guest,

I was sorry to read of your disappointment concerning your recent stay, I can assure you your visit will be investigated so this does not happen again.

All guest comments are throughly looked into with every department to ensure procedures are looked at and amended to enhance guest satisfaction.

Again I would like to apologise for your disappointment.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We were in one of the chalet rooms which was cold and smelt of damp.The toilet roll holder was having off the wall in the bathroom. The bed was uncomfortable (lumpy) and the mattress and pillows had plastic covers on. It wasn't noisy from the cars on the A45 as expected or the cars passing our window but from the smokers attending a function until it started to rain! Breakfast food was ok but service was poor. The numerous staff appeared to be in a trance. Reception staff were super. I happened to look at the photos of rooms on the website, there was no comparison to the room we were given.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JuliaT482

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, I would like to apologise for your disappointment with your room and breakfast, here at our hotel we are always striving to ensure we offer our best service at all times and I can assure you your comments will be passed through to the whole team to ensure our guest and room experience is improved.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I booked a KGB deal for an overnight spa break for two with breakfast and dinner on 29th March. Overall our stay was good - spa treatments were good, pool/sauna/gym were good, and we had a lovely three course meal in the restaurant. Our room was a twin room in one of the village rooms outside of the main hotel block (and incidentally next to a busy main road) which initially concerned me, however traffic noise did not disturb us. The room itself was clean and tidy, and had good facilities (toiletries and hairdryer etc). The main thing that let the hotel down during our stay was breakfast. I understand that a large group from a sports team were staying at the hotel at the same time, however the breakfast team were massively understaffed/unprepared to cope with this -

1. On arrival to the breakfast room we had to wait 10 minutes to be seated, and were greeted with dirty tables waiting clearing all around us
2. Breakfast was served until 10am, and when we arrived at 9:30am, there was literally nothing left - nothing had been replenished for ages (no continental items such as croissants, fruit salad, yoghurts, milk, or any type of fruit juice) and the cooked items that were available were definitely on the cold side
3. We had to ask for a pot of tea to be brought to our table (after waiting 10 minutes after being seated) and when this was brought to us it was not accompanied by a jug of milk or sugar... And so we had to again ask for this and incur another wait
4. We had to ask for more plates to be brought out for the cooked items, as well as cutlery

All in all it was extremely poor and very disappointing, based on the great meal we had eaten the night before in the same room. I am sure that we were not the only guests that felt like this as there were other people waiting near the empty juice dispensers for more juice/glasses to be brought out (which guests had to ask staff for!) - not sure if this was just a one off incident, but surely it would have been known that a large group were staying and staff numbers should have reflected this - I felt sorry for the staff that I could see as they really were running around like headless chickens and looked really unable to cope and keep on top of the many tables that needed clearing, guests to serve and breakfast items to replenish.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your comments and apologise for your breaklfast experience, this will be looked at to ensure improvements are made as here at our hotel we pride ourselves on our service.

I do hope you will consider to use us again in the future when you are in the area.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a "relaxing spa break". Nothing could be further from the truth. The "Spa" consists of a swimming pool, sauna and steam room. At the time we went to use it, it was completely over occupied and resembled public swimming baths, kids jumping into the pool, continually going in and out of the sauna and steam rooms leaving us unable to relax at all. The room was very small and noisy to the point that we could hear the conversation of people in neighbouring rooms clearly. Evening meal experience not good either. We requested items from the menu without salad dressing and without side order sauces - meal came and the request was totally ignored! Breakfast was so busy that no tables laid when we arrived, items on buffet kept running out and not replenished in good time. Not relaxing at all. It would seem that the staff were unable to cope with the volume of guests.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tim P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Village Hotel Coventry
Ramada Hotel & Suites Coventry
Coombe Abbey Hotel
Coombe Abbey Hotel
#3 of 39 in Coventry

Been to Best Western Plus Coventry Windmill Village Hotel Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!