“Great place for special dietary needs”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of BabyCakes Bistro - CLOSED

BabyCakes Bistro
Cuisines: British, Pizza, Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating
Description: Our menu is simple, and based on good old fashioned values. The coffee machine is a piece of history itself; up until we had it in our shop, it was in a coffee shop in Italy before being carefully driven over to the UK. The coffee that we serve is 75% Arabica bean, giving a strong intense hit but a smooth aftertaste.
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Great place for special dietary needs”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I took my teenage sons here for afternoon tea as we had seen they cater for vegetarians and vegans (they also cater for gluten-free & diabetic diets). It's not in your typical coffee shop location but don't let that put you off going because it's most certainly worth finding.

The service was very friendly and the sandwiches; scones; & cakes in the afternoon tea were all home-made and top quality. The only suggestion for improvement I would make is to stock a wider selection of herbal teas (I recommend Pukka or Teapigs - much nicer than Twinings).

We will definitely be back for more afternoon tea and would love to try their Thai food on a Friday evening.

I recommend you book a table at the weekend as it's only a small place.

• Visited July 2014
BabyCakesCoffee, Manager at BabyCakes Bistro, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review and the time it took to send us some suggestions. We will review the number of teas, we already offer 25 types and tend to buy in in small batches to ensure freshness. But will look into stocking the brands that you recommended. We are glad that we won on the other fronts like special diets. See you again soon, and we hope to offer a much wider range of teas for you.

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Surprising Little Gem!”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Lived near to this little café for some time and always walked past, however after finally visiting for the first time for coffee last week, we have now been back three times and love it!

We have yet to visit in an evening but can honestly say the breakfasts are excellent! The staff are friendly and helpful, nothing is ever too much trouble! This is now our families favourite place for breakfast, coffee and a cake! Looking forward to taking my friend who is vegetarian and I know will love the menu here.

Highly Recommended!

• Visited July 2014
BabyCakesCoffee, Owner at BabyCakes Bistro, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
We are so happy that you finally came in and discovered us. Glad that you loved the breakfast offering. We do recommend our evening offering so take some time to come in. Thank you for the review and hope to see you again soon. Possible in the evening.
Coventry, United Kingdom
“An afternoon treat!”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I snapped up a Groupon voucher for afternoon tea for me and my partner after hearing Babycakes did a vegan version.
It was absolutely delicious from start to finish.
Tea came in a lovely crock teapot and cup and saucer and soya milk. The sandwiches were the nicest vegan cheese I've tasted on a very tasty home made bread.
Scones were warm from the oven with (dairy free) butter and jam.
And we each had a vegan cupcake to finish, the lemon was divine!
I opted for extra drinks with a rose lemonade,and the most gorgeous pineapple and passion fruit smoothie!
The staff are wonderful and attentive and the owner is just lovely and chatty!
We will definitely be going back again.
Was also told about Thai night on friday and there's many more vegan friendly options on the menu. I will be recommending Baby cakes to all my vegan AND non-vegan friends.

• Visited July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us. Our Vegan customers are very important to us, so we were very happy to read your review. So glad that you enjoyed the vegan scones, and the soothie. We bake fresh and onsite and we feel that that allows us to offer a top notch product. Hope to see you again, so some of our other vegan offerings. Thanks you once again for taking time.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“afternoon tea”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Excellent home made food for afternoon tea.Very friendly , helpful service The reason we didnt score 5 was because we were asked if we would like more tea to drink. We said yes but there was no mention of having to pay for extra tea. Despite going out for afternoon tea very regularly we have never paid for extra tea so were surprised when we found the payment on our bill. Despite that we would definitely recommend babycakes and will definitely be going again

• Visited July 2014
Thank you for your feedback, we are a bit concerned that we did not get full marks. I have spoken to our staff and am bit concerned that you feel we did not alert you to the fact that any extra drinks are charged for. In the offer that you purchased it states 1 drink, when you arrived you would have been given our afternoon tea menu and the water should have explained the offering, including our sandwich offering and special diet requirements. On this occasion we seemed to have failed to make this clear, so please accept our apologies. See you again soon.
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Not what I expected, but that's not a bad thing!”
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Originally planned to call in for coffee and cake on a Saturday afternoon, but ended up going for Sunday morning breakfast, which I was a good call. The location was not what I had expected, more cafe than coffee shop, but perfect for a lazy breakfast (with hangover). Choice was great - even for a fussy vegetarian and even my request for eggs cooked beyond recognition was delivered upon! The only slight grumble I'd have is the lack of customer toilets, which is a bit of a pain!

Thank you for taking the time to review our coffee shop and bistro. Clearly we did not do our jobs well as we did not get full marks. I am also a bit concerned by the comments regards to the fact that you felt we were more cafe than coffee shop? You feedback has help us alter our offering so thank you, we would love to know more on how you came to that opinion. It would be great to see you again, maybe hangover free to see what you think.