“More style than substance, but worth a visit.”
Review of Caprese - CLOSED

Caprese
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have rated average overall because although the venue is delightful, the service is slow, the owner seemed anxious and the menu limited. I would have clicked 'good' had the option been available, but I could not in all honesty rate it as 'very good'. Like many others who have left recent reviews, my first visit was through Groupon but my experience was good on the whole.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Bought a Groupon voucher before reading previous reviews, but after reading them in horror we still went with an open mind on Saturday at 7pm. We were very pleasantly surprised. The place is small and very pleasantly decorated, lovely atmosphere. The service was good. We had a dish of olives whilst choosing our meal. They were black olives sitting in a pretty dish of ice, a rather strange idea but on a hot evening they worked very well.
My starter was garlic mushrooms which were delicious - a very generous portion on two slices of toasted bread and my husband chose the pate which he enjoyed, also with two slices of bread although he did comment that the pate was very garlicky.
For my main course I had the chicken in cream sauce. The sauce was lovely and the meal was beautifully presented with plenty of carrots & broccoli cooked perfectly. Also there were a lot of lovely fried baby potatoes which were delicious but I couldn't eat them all. My husband had a steak which was cooked perfectly medium rare and was one of the best steaks he has had in the area. He had the same veg as myself but had chips which were also very good - so good he insisted that I tried one: he was right!
We paid an extra £2 for the steak, had olives and several extra drinks. It was a lovely meal and we will go again but may not have so much to drink as they were very expensive.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We visited the restaurant with a Groupon voucher. Part of the voucher was a glass of wine. It was more like sugar water than wine and we were told we couldn't have red wine!! The food was average and very little of it!! We ended up paying extra for a sweet, it was the only decent food we had. Very disappointed because Coventry is lacking in Italian restaurants. We won't be visiting again. I see that they are advertising on Groupon again. It is not worth getting a voucher. Most groupon deals are used as an advertising incentive, they use their voucher to get you in and give you a very cheap meal!!! The owner of the restaurant just stood over us all of the meal, making us feel very uncomfortable. There were only two couples in the restaurant, goodness knows how they would cope with more. Left the restaurant feeling very hungry!!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Looked very promising its a nice looking place but really let down by poor cost cutting and terrible staff.

It was baking hot on a Saturday but air con was off, no music either so atmosphere was poor. One staff member took forever and a day to serve us and the 6 other people in the place, so long that one pair gave up and left before ordering.

Food was poor, ceasar salad had nothing but lettuce, tomatoe chicken and cheese with French dressing. That's not a Caesar salad!

If your the owner, sort out your staff, get some upbeat music on and the air con when sunny and rejig the menu (it's not Italian!). It's a great venue let down by cost cutting on the run costs which kill the vibe.

Recommend you visit corleones or bar angel in Leamington to see how to run an Italian cafe in 2013, yours felt like it was stuck in the 1950's...

1  Thank Ryana043
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Visited Caprese on a Wednesday in July on a Groupon deal and it wasn't very good to say the least.
First of all it is supposed to be an Italian restaurant but none of the staff are from anywhere near there.
The starters were passable at best which arrived after a wait of about 25 mins and it got nil points for presentation.
The manageress who I think was Polish was running around like a headless chicken and all I could hear her say was sorry,which she must have repeated at least every minute all night.
We ordered the steak as our main course which was distinctly average, but it was the rest of the meal that shocked us. Between us we could only have got about 10 chips. I had I slice of carrot and a broccoli floret. My wife asked for a salad instead of vegetables and all she got was a small portion of lettuce. It was so poor we were almost speechless and most of the other diners by the amount of sorry's we could hear must have felt the same way.
Even with a groupon it wasn't worth it.
In our opinion avoid at all costs.