“Poor groupon deal”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Visited Caprese on a Wednesday in July on a Groupon deal and it wasn't very good to say the least.
First of all it is supposed to be an Italian restaurant but none of the staff are from anywhere near there.
The starters were passable at best which arrived after a wait of about 25 mins and it got nil points for presentation.
The manageress who I think was Polish was running around like a headless chicken and all I could hear her say was sorry,which she must have repeated at least every minute all night.
We ordered the steak as our main course which was distinctly average, but it was the rest of the meal that shocked us. Between us we could only have got about 10 chips. I had I slice of carrot and a broccoli floret. My wife asked for a salad instead of vegetables and all she got was a small portion of lettuce. It was so poor we were almost speechless and most of the other diners by the amount of sorry's we could hear must have felt the same way.
Even with a groupon it wasn't worth it.
In our opinion avoid at all costs.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We too had visited as the result of a voucher for a meal for two which should have cost £61....we called in at 5pm on a Thursday afternoon and were the only 2 diners in the place. I wished to use the gents and when I was informed that the bulb had gone I was told to use the ladies whilst a member of staff ran off to wilkinsons to buy a light bulb. The attentive waitress who was in fact the manageress asked if we wanted a drink but when I requested draught beer she informed me that all draught beers were off and I settled for a bottle. We ordered garlic mushrooms and pate as starters and they were both lovely although one piece of bread wasn't enough. My wife ordered sea bass and I ordered steak medium rare... We didn't have to wait long but the steak was more medium and rare.Each meal was served with 3 slices of carrot, a piece of broccoli and 3 small pieces of fried potatoes and also a green salad. The steak was also accompanied by chips which were cooked to perfection. Overall quite disappointing. I did get the opportunity to discuss my feelings with the manageress who did give us a glass of wine to compensate. If they want to be Italian then be Italian and include some other classics on the menus like cannelloni or lasagne. I feel no one wants to pay £16.95 for duck. The voucher was for 2 starters,2 main courses and 2 glasses of wine...I tried but I couldn't get it to add up to £61 !! At these prices they will struggle against the other established Italian restaurants in the city centre.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We too had a Groupon here and booked a table for 8pm Friday night. Table wasn’t ready when we arrived so were invited to sit at the bar and have a beer. All the beer pumps were off so we ordered 2 bottles of Peroni which were lukewarm, oh well it happens, didn’t complain. Shortly after as we sat at the bar waiting for our table, a waitress asked the barperson for 2 bottles of Peroni for one of her tables, and I overhead her reply ‘talk them into having something else, the Peroni’s still warm’. “You didn’t say that before serving it to us I replied!” We could see waitresses running around with ice buckets, so they were clearly having some kind of cooling issues, we’d have ordered something else had we known that.

At 8:15pm we were seated, no drama. Food and wine was ordered and the meal got underway. The house red was ok, but the house white a bit of a challenge. The Pate starter was alright and the garlic mushrooms a bit disappointing. When plates were cleared we asked if we could have some napkins/serviettes with the main course, as there were none on the table yet.
As for the main courses, the chicken in creamy sauce was average and my partner’s sea bass small but reasonable but overpowered by garlic. What was really disappointing, were the sides; the veg was the tricolor frozen carrots peas and sweetcorn that your Nana used to feed you, 2 halves of a single frozen roast potato, and some salad.

As we sat there eating you could see waiters sweeping around other diner’s feet under other tables, and the atmosphere just wasn’t comfortable. You can’t order a large glass of wine on the Groupon or some of the more expensive dishes which is a bit cheeky. The Groupon voucher was up to the value of £62 for 2 people, and our meal and wine probably only came to about £45.

If this restaurant had only been open a week, then fine. But it’s been open months now, and it’s still getting some of the basics very wrong. If you really must try this place, do it on a Groupon (and be warned you won’t get anywhere near full voucher value). Do not under any circumstances pay full price, or you’ll be sorely disappointed. Apart from the name, there was absolutely nothing Italian about it whatsoever.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had a voucher for the Caprese so thought we would give it a try because of its central location. However I doubt we were impressed enough to return at the full price?? Which is, I am sure the purpose of the voucher system??
We booked early for us, as we had a day out the next day and the restaurant was quiet, so we were at a loss when the waitress seemed so keen to take our order!! In fact she returned every 2 minutes till we placed our order!!
As The Peroni was expensive , and 2 different prices dependent on which menu you looked at,. we chose Stella.
We planned to order after the first drink and perusing the menu!!
The Stella was awful. really old and sour, and the calm perusal was interrupted by the waitress every 2 minutes!!
We finally placed our order but I was concerned my steak was going to be over cooked after the waitress shouted, out the orders through to the kitchen, 1 calamari, 1 caesar salad. 1 sea bass and 1 steak!!
My steak was Ok and not too over cooked, I had a few soft carrots, a spoonful of chips and a piece of broccoli. OK for what we paid ?? But I was glad I didn't pay the full price!! My partner was even less impressed with his small portion of sea bass , priced at £15.95 on the menu!!
He said he wasnt happy and they replaced it with steak, much smaller than mine!! Is this what you get on a voucher visit?? We have used these vouchers before at other restaurants and not been disappointed!! And if we like it we go back!! This time we wont be returning!!

1  Thank lluckett