“Exellent realistic experience”

and up
Fly a Real Jet Simulator Around the World at Coventry Airport
Ranked #1 of 20 Fun & Games in Coventry
More attraction details
Owner description: Flight Simulators Midlands are delighted to offer you a thrilling experience on board a real B737-800 motion simulator or a Boeing 747-400 Jumbo Jet simulator with simulated motion or an Airbus A320 real aircraft, converted into a simulator. All are fitted with the latest Glass Cockpit Instrumentation (PFD/ND or EFIS)and the latest graphics available. Fly the mountains around Salzburg or the waterways of Hong Kong. These simulators have trained thousands of professional pilots over the years. (They are not replica simulators like many on offer). Now it's your turn to sit where they did and learn the tricks of the trade. We highly recommend a full hours flight time to get the best from your visit. Welcome on board. Captain Chris Rigby (Chief Pilot FSM)
Reviewed December 23, 2012

The location was easy to find, and I had a detailed briefing from the ex BA 747 captain who would be with me through the whole experience. I had flown a light aircraft solo and was familiar with the B737 systems so the briefing was quite technical, which I wanted. Had I been a newbie, it would have obviously covered the basics. It cost £50 for 30 mins through Groupon, plus £75 for an extra 30 mins, plus £25 for the motion system.

We went to the simulator and strapped in, it was the same as a real 737 cockpit, and we were ready to take off from (I think) Saltzburg airport. We took off with me holding the controls, climbed and engaged the autopilot. I dialed in headings and heights on the autopilot control panel and we flew through a valley, clearing the terrain by 600ft on the radio altimeter aith the GPWS alerting us to 'terrain'. The visuals are extremely good, but when flying you spend most of the time head down loking at the intruments when hand flying. We climbed, turned and returnd to land at Saltzburg.

We then took off from the new airport at Hong Kong and flew over the region, making a visual approach into the old Kai Tak airport.

The weather was then made much worse,and we took off from HK airpiort again in mist and rain, climbing though a thunderstorm. I'd paid for the motion (£25 extra) and you could feel the turbulence as the autopilot struggled to hold us steady in the climb. There was then 'an emergency' with a passenger so we had to return to land again. Then there was an 'autopilot malfunction' so I had to take over and hand fly the landing through the thundestorm and landing. My landings weren't bad, considering I hadn't flown a 737 before!

The flying was quite easy, using the flight director needles which indicate direction, roll and pitch attitude, making hand flying quite easy. The captain beside me was dialling in headings intro the autpilot which it then guided me in the right direction using the flight director needles.

The experience was fantastic, very realistic indeed. You don't get much time looking at the views if you're hand flying the aircraft, next time I'll go with someone else and sit in on their flight to watch the scenery. I plan to try the 747 when they have that up and running!

1  Thank Martin-F-UK

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Both myself and my father in law were treated to this as a Xmas pressie via the groupon voucher for the 'basic' package of a 30 minute flight. Both of us loved every minute of the flight experience with one flight over Salzburg and another over Hong Kong. Our captain on the flight experience was superb and clearly had a great enthusiasm about him. This flight sim was the real deal and felt extremely realistic. Can't fault it one bit - you have to do it.

Chris R, Owner at Flight Simulators Midlands, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Glad you enjoyed it. Come and see our 747 which will be landing in February. Hong Kong will be different again.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I enjoyed a fabulous hours experience which had been purchased as a 60th birthday treat. Captain Chris Rigby provided a good briefing beforehand and shortly afterwards I was in the right hand seat and flying. Having buzzed the airfield at Salzburg and clearing a nearby mountain range by just 200ft I went to Hong Kong for a seat of the pants tour of the harbour etc at 600 ft.
Managed to land and take off at both locations in one piece and the time just whizzed by. WOULD RECOMMEND THIS EXPERIENCE WHOLEHEARTEDLY. I hope that one day I may be able to return and have another go. A BRILLIANT EXPERIENCE

Thanks for your comments. It's always nice to know that you enjoyed the experience. We should have a 747 400 series simulator in the New Year if you fancy a real challenge!

Capt. Chris Rigby

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I was given this for a birthday present and it could not have been better. What a fantastic experience.The pre-flight talk was very useful so as not to waste time when we got into the simulator. Staff looked after us well. Good fun. Worth visiting the aircraft museum 100yds up the road afterwards. Managed to get a guided tour inside the Vulcan's cockpit which really put the icing on the cake!

Chris R, Owner at Flight Simulators Midlands, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Glad you enoyed it. Please come again. We shall have a 747 simulator in the New Year.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Flight Simulator Midlands

30 minute experience using a £49.00 Wowcher offer.

This is my experience:

1. The Wowcher offer

It stated that the cost would be £49 instead of up to £150 for a Boeing 737 Flight Simulator Experience, saving up to 67%. (screenshot available).
Excellent deal? Well when I contacted them to make an appointment I was told that there would be no motion. (Although it was not mentioned in the advert it was not denied either, it is a reasonable assumption to expect this from a motion simulator - As another reviewer seems to have been mislead by the motion option, perhaps clarification on this point would avoid this in the future?). I then mentioned that if I booked the £125, 30 minute experience from their own website the motion would be included. I was told the reason for this is that they are able to keep more of the £125 as there is no intermediary.
Now, as far as I'm concerned if a vendor offers a product worth 'A' for far less than its market value 'B', 1. it should be worth 'A' and 2. it's up to them if they sell their products below market value and not my concern. Therefore £49 does not equal up to £150. If it does, how is the fee broken down? I feel that this was very misleading.

2. The Experience:

On phoning for a date I was told that motion would be an extra £25 and to get the most out of the experience I should upgrade for the full one hour, an extra cost of £80 approx (total for both, an extra £105 + £49 wowcher = £154). I declined. My first date was booked for mid-week. 2 hours before the appointment time I received a text cancelling it due to a software crash. I then had to make a new appointment. There was no compensation for this. From this point the in-flight cockpit experience largely corresponds with the other reviewers and there is no point in tautology.

To sum up, not too happy with the marketing technique. The in-flight experience however, was both stimulating and challenging.

3  Thank ABM_003

Dear Pilot

I'm sorry you feel that you were mislead in some way. I accept the Wowcher advert could have been clearer but if you rent a motion simulator anywhere else in the country, you will pay £600 / hour for it. Most that are on offer don't have a motion option and are not 'real' flight simulators. They are replica toy flight decks. Our simulator is the real thing and would cost you upwards of £1m second hand. (They are £6m new). We have found that some people do not want the motion engaged, so we offer the basic package without and as with many Wowcher offers, offered at a price that people can afford but with some restrictions such as mid week and limited to one per person.

Our normal price is £125 for the first half hour without motion. The week you looked, we also threw in the motion, as a special offer, at the same price. We are entiled to do that as a marketing excercise. The fact that you only paid £49 for something which would have normally cost you £125 seems to me to be a very reasonable offer. Over 50% of our Wowcher sales take the extra half hour option again at a discounted price and are glad that they have done so. Over 75% take the motion option which is an expensive piece of equipment to run and maintain and are thrilled with the extra realism that it offers.

Regardng the software glitch, this is a very complex piece of machinery using 3 computers to run the different software packages. Unfortunatey things happen and we have to move the detail. I'm not sure why you expect compensation for this. It's just life but unfortunately our culture seems to expect everything for nothing and then be compensated if something doesn't go quite to plan.

But I'm glad you found the actual flight experience challenging. Are you the guy who crashed it?

Regards - Captain Chris Rigby