“Good and Bad”

2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 581 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled in the secluded courtyard of 2Tone Village this newly refurbished family run cafe & restaurant provides good food, good times and great service.Home of the Jerk Sausage 2Tone Cafe offers all day breakfast, and more, including Caribbean meals. The restaurant offers an enticing menu of good 'home' style cuisine for those new to Caribbean food and the connoisseur.2Tone Village where the stars of 2Tone are often seen dining, jamming or generally hanging out. Please check our website for open times of the Cafe & Restaurant and for up to date menus and events.
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Good and Bad”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I have mixed feelings on this place, I would go back though. The review is for the restaurant, not the cafe.

We waited 20 minutes for our drinks to be served and it was an hour before the food came out. We ordered the mix starter so we could sample more of the menu, most of the food on that was really good, apart from the dumplings.

The mains are really small and they are served with one side dish. I would recommend ordering 2 side dishes if you go though. I had coconut prawns which were amazing, but the size of a starter. I had it with veg which was one piece of yam and one piece of plantin - neither were seasoned so very bland. My dinner was tiny, the waitress should have been able to advise when taking the order to get another side dish. Why didn't I order it when I saw how small it was when it arrived? Because I didn't want to wait 30 minutes.

My friend had the mutton curry with rice. That was amazing too, beautiful flavour. I'll have that the next time.

The decor is uninspiring, boring, not very tasteful but it's clean.The staff are lovely and really friendly. The cafe next door is black and white, 50s style diner, funky with 2-Tone memorabilia. I'd rather eat in there but I don't think they do the restaurant menu in the day.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank TRIPPIN'OVER
AngelaK486, Manager at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this review, March 4, 2015
Many thanks for taking time to write a review of our restaurant, we are pleased that you were happy with the taste of your food , it not the quantity. We can only apologies for the long waits you had for your drinks and meals, our service is something we are working on and trying hard to improve.

We are sorry that our taste in decor is not to your liking but that is a matter of personal taste.

We do hope to see you again, if only in the cafe where we do have a small selection of Caribbean meals including curry mutton.

• Polish first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday celebration”
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

Just had a great evening sharing great food with friends. The food was tasty, delicious and in a lovely relaxing atmosphere. Good value for money and I know we''ll definitely be coming back soon and sharing our experience with other friends. Thanks Angela and family for making my evening just right. Your location might not be obvious but you will not remain anonymous.

1 Thank Rosie A
Apologies for the delay, but many thanks for taking time out to write a review for our restaurant. We are so pleased you enjoyed your birthday celebration with us.

We look forward to seeing you and your other friends sometime in the future.

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Fairly simple food at incredibly cheap prices”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

We just had a snack here; vegetable soup with bread & butter followed by curry chicken jacket potato. Both were excellent in portion and taste and for £5 altogether, were really good value. Very friendly service, and expect a short wait as the food is prepared to order. After a visit to the adjoining museum we returned for coffee and homemade cake.

1 Thank John A
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this review, March 4, 2015
Apologies for the delay, but many thanks for taking time out to write a review for our Cafe. We are so pleased you enjoyed your visit and your soup.

We hope to see you again sometime.

Hampton-in-Arden, United Kingdom
“Fab food”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Lovely home cooked carrabean food.
Ange and alph make you feel really welcome.
My mum raved on the salt fish and akee in a Yorkshire pud, I had the sweet corn fritters which where really tasty.

All the mains were delicious and flavoursome without being too spicy for my dad.

Best bit was the home made cakes. Although there is no uniform slicing so don't expect to have identical sized pieces. My dad would say the best bit was the bill, very reasonable.

1 Thank firefairie
Apologies for the delay, but many thanks for taking time out to write a review for our restaurant. We are so pleased you enjoyed your visit and that your Mum enjoyed the Ackee & Saltfish (which is not to everyone's taste).

We hope to see you again sometime.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Ace!”
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

What a gem this place is, great food, great prices and a trip down memory lane to boot! If you're ever in Coventry it's well worth a visit.

1 Thank Angie D
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
We are so glad that you think our food is "Ace" and glad you enjoyed your trip down memory lane.

We do hope we will see you again in the future.

Angela, Alph & 2 Tone Village team