“Brilliant cafe” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant

2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 564 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Nestled in the secluded courtyard of 2Tone Village this newly refurbished family run cafe & restaurant provides good food, good times and great service.Home of the Jerk Sausage 2Tone Cafe offers all day breakfast, and more, including Caribbean meals. The restaurant offers an enticing menu of good 'home' style cuisine for those new to Caribbean food and the connoisseur.2Tone Village where the stars of 2Tone are often seen dining, jamming or generally hanging out. Please check our website for open times of the Cafe & Restaurant and for up to date menus and events.
“Brilliant cafe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Visited here earlier this week and what can i say, wonderfull food especially the mutton curry. And was deffinately the best carrot cake ive ever had. Will most certainly be going back

3 Thank Princessbetty76
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Hi there

Many thanks for your review we are so glad that you think that we have a "brilliant cafe" we of course agree, but we are not complacent and know that it could be even better.

We look forward to welcoming you back to cafe and perhaps the restaurant one evening.

Alph, Angela & 2 Tone Cafe team

• Polish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Mixed bag of goodies”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I came here with my husband using a Groupon. The waitress was friendly but lacked the knowledge to answer simple questions such as what the soup of the day was. Basic stuff like that needs to be at the forefront of the brain but she went back to check. I ordered this beef soup, which was tasty but I ended up wearing it as the waitress spilled some of it on my jeans. She apologised profusely which was good and there was no big issue but then she did not return with a cloth. My husband gave me his serviette and asked for another one which never came.
He enjoyed his sweetcorn fritters but the jerk chicken he ordered as a main did not hit the spot for him, whereas I enjoyed my oxtail and butter bean stew with rice.
The dessert was amazing - ginger cake with rum cream and the latter was very tasty. I think the portions were a bit small if I were to pay full price for them but having said that, they were filling. My husband however, was a tad dissatisfied. The chap who I assumed was the owner just smiled and said "well, it is a bit different". I would go back even though it's not bowled me over. Staff seemed very friendly and the atmosphere relaxed, so go and check it out (probably better with a Groupon).

2 Thank Michaela E
Many thanks for taking time out to write such a comprehensive review of our restaurant we are so glad that you enjoyed your meal but disappointed that your husbands Jerk Chicken 'did not quite hit the spot' for him, but hopefully you will both come back and try something else.

I can only apologies for the service you received, that particular waitress has seen your review and has taken on board your comments. In her defence she is the newest and least experience of our waitresses.

We do look forward to you coming along and giving us a second try.

Angela, Alph & the Simmer Down Family.
Leeds, New York
“Second review”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

I love this place. It is cheap, cheerful, tasty and wholesome. The service is friendly, the environment is clean and relaxed. On this occasion we had rice and peas, pea stew, roast veggies, dumplings and a cho cho and calaloo bake which was simply amazing.

3 Thank daveyjones111
AngelaK486, Manager at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Hi there

Many thanks for visiting us for a second time and for your second kind review.

I had a look at your last review and hope that you would have noticed that we took on board some of your comments.

Once again thanks for coming again and we look forward to welcoming you again and again.

Angela, Alph & Simmer Down family
Coventry, United Kingdom
“microwave food !!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

We been there for dinner and kept listening to the microwave beep. We ordered a fish dish, chicken and a side of dumplings. The chicken was OK, fish was not nice and the dumplings were rock hard as if cooked in the microwave. The only positive thing is this place is the friendly chef, a Jamaican lady.

2nd in Coventry!!! Gosh things must be really bad here.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MR M
Hi there

Many thanks for your candid review of our restaurant, we are disappointed that you did not have an enjoyable experience with us, however we (I) am very disappointed that you did not return your dumplings if they were hard and also that you did not mention it to me 'the friendly chef, a Jamaican lady', we would gladly have replaced them. As for the fish, well that is a matter of taste, not everyone likes the same things I guess. I have to say that one of the reasons we like to talk to diners is to get first hand honest feedback, so it is even more disappointing when the first time we know about a customers dissatisfaction is on Trip Advisor, not saying that we expect only positive reviews but it would have been nice to know that you were not happy on the night.

If you ever decide to visit us again we would be happy to see you.

Angela, Alph & Simmer Down Family
“Fantastic food beautiful people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is only small but run beautifully by a husband and wife team! Probably the best food I have eaten in a very long time! A warm and friendly place with fantastic food ! Worth travelling and finding x x

3 Thank Danielle P
Many thanks for you review of our small restaurant. We are so glad you think that the food is "the best you have eaten in a long time" it is good for us to hear that we are doing something right :) We are also grateful for your comment about the warm and friendly atmosphere which we think is equally as important as the food.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Simmer Down again.

Angela, Alph & Simmer Down Family