“lovely food and people”

2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 599 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled in the secluded courtyard of 2Tone Village this newly refurbished family run cafe & restaurant provides good food, good times and great service.Home of the Jerk Sausage 2Tone Cafe offers all day breakfast, and more, including Caribbean meals. The restaurant offers an enticing menu of good 'home' style cuisine for those new to Caribbean food and the connoisseur.2Tone Village where the stars of 2Tone are often seen dining, jamming or generally hanging out. Please check our website for open times of the Cafe & Restaurant and for up to date menus and events.
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The owners and staff here are really lovely. The food was very tasty and excellent value. No licence so we took our own wine with a nominal corkage charge. Only complaint was cold plates &dishes so the food cooled before we finished. Would recommend to anyone wanting real Caribbean food, they deserve to do well and have more customers.

1  Thank jivebunny
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Hi

Many thanks for taking time to review our restaurant, we are so glad that you enjoyed the food and the atmosphere.

Your comment regarding cold plates has been notes and we will endeavor to ensure that we do not make that mistake again, we do usually serve food on warm plates but somehow we slipped up on this occasion.

\many thanks also for your good wishes for our future.

We do hope we will see you again.

Angela, Alph & the Simmer Down Family

Reviewed February 19, 2013

After hearing about this place and seeing how close it is to us; my husband and I thought we would try it, we were not disappointed!I can't think of any faults, service and food were both exceptional and we will be back with people and spread the word.

The restaurant is welcoming, warm and comfortable and the owners were friendly and helpful without fault as we hadn't much experience of authentic Carribean food before. The menu is a perfect size as you know it is all freshly made and theres something for everybody (meats are halal).

We had Jerk chicken and Mutton curry with sides of rice and peas and dumplings which were all extremely delicious and just about right for spice. Not to mention the portion sizes were plentiful! For dessert we had the ginger cake and carrot cake which were homemade and wonderfully light and moist. My husband said it was the best carrot cake he had tasted.

For drinks we brought our own wine but also sampled the fruit punch and the Guinness punch which were excellent.

I also realised this place is a cafe so we will be back in the day too!:)

1  Thank Velverty

Hi

Thank you for taking time to review of restaurant, we are so pleased that you were not disappointed with your visit.

You have described our restaurant very well, if I read your review I'd want to go!, many thanks

Glad your husband enjoyed the carrot cake, it is a close call between carrot cake and ginger in terms of popularity.

We do hope to see you again soon

Angela, Alph & the Simmer Down Family.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Simmer Down is a real treat - absolutely delicious food served quickly by very friendly and welcoming staff. We had the selection of starters which were very good but the main courses were truly memorable and we thoroughly enjoyed the mutton curry and jerk chicken which were full of flavour and pleasantly spicy. The restaurant itself is small so it is worth booking in advance. Its also a bit hidden away, in a courtyard just off the Walsgrave Road, but if you start looking for a side road the moment you pass No 72 then its fairly easy to spot the Two Tone courtyard and Simmer Down is right at the end on the left (you enter through the Two Tone cafe) If you have never had Caribbean food Simmer Down is well worth a trip and the prices are so reasonable you can try several different dishes. We highly recommend this lovely, unusual restaurant.

1  Thank h0lidayg0lightly
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thank you for visiting Simmer Down and for writing such a positive review of our restaurant it is much appreciated. We are delighted that you found the food "absolutely delicious" and " the main courses were truly memorable".

We do hope to see you again soon.

Angela, Alph & the Simmer Down Famil

Reviewed February 15, 2013

It was our first time eating Caribbean food and the staff were really friendly and welcoming. It was my sister's birthday and we were welcomed by a banner on the table and she also received a complimentary drink and a birthday card, which really put a smile on her face. Definitely recommend it to everyone!

2  Thank Rohit K

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our restaurant. We are so glad you enjoyed your first experience of Caribbean food, and hope that you will be back for more.

We are particularly pleased that you chose us for your sisters birthday meal birthday's are special and we like to do our bit to help make them more memorable, so we are happy that she enjoyed it.

Hope to see you again.

Angela, Alph & Simmer Down family

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I wrote the very first (rave) review of Simmer Down on TripAdvisor last summer. Recently it was my birthday and I could have chosen any restaurant in Coventry or Warwickshire for my birthday meal but I wanted to return to Simmer Down. I wasn't disappointed. All the original magic was still there. Angela and Alph had prior warning it was my birthday so there was a decorative banner on the table and a nice birthday card waiting for me. If you take someone to Simmer Down for a celebration, make sure you tell them in advance and they will make a lovely fuss of your guest.

I had saltfish and ackee in yorkshire puddings and prawns in a creamy coconut sauce, with lots of side dishes; yam and plantain and creamed sweet potato. For dessert I had Baileys cheesecake. It was just fantastic.

What I love most about Simmer Down is that being there just makes me feel happy. I recommend it; the place is totally infectitious. Great birthday!

1  Thank helencoventry
AngelaK486, Manager at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Hi Helen

Many thanks for once again taking time out to review Simmer Down. It is always a pleasure to serve you both. We are extremely honored that of all the restaurants you could have chosen for your birthday you chose us..thank you! We are so glad that we have been able to maintain the "magic" for you, and you will be pleased to know that more and more people are now beginning to experience that 'magic' as you put it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Simmer Down soon.

Alph, Angela & the Simmer Down Family