“Excellent food and even better customer service”

2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 580 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled in the secluded courtyard of 2Tone Village this newly refurbished family run cafe & restaurant provides good food, good times and great service.Home of the Jerk Sausage 2Tone Cafe offers all day breakfast, and more, including Caribbean meals. The restaurant offers an enticing menu of good 'home' style cuisine for those new to Caribbean food and the connoisseur.2Tone Village where the stars of 2Tone are often seen dining, jamming or generally hanging out. Please check our website for open times of the Cafe & Restaurant and for up to date menus and events.
Berlin, Germany
“Excellent food and even better customer service”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

It was our first time eating Caribbean food and the staff were really friendly and welcoming. It was my sister's birthday and we were welcomed by a banner on the table and she also received a complimentary drink and a birthday card, which really put a smile on her face. Definitely recommend it to everyone!

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Rohit K
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our restaurant. We are so glad you enjoyed your first experience of Caribbean food, and hope that you will be back for more.

We are particularly pleased that you chose us for your sisters birthday meal birthday's are special and we like to do our bit to help make them more memorable, so we are happy that she enjoyed it.

Hope to see you again.

Angela, Alph & Simmer Down family

• Polish first
coventry
“Return visit just as great as last time”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I wrote the very first (rave) review of Simmer Down on TripAdvisor last summer. Recently it was my birthday and I could have chosen any restaurant in Coventry or Warwickshire for my birthday meal but I wanted to return to Simmer Down. I wasn't disappointed. All the original magic was still there. Angela and Alph had prior warning it was my birthday so there was a decorative banner on the table and a nice birthday card waiting for me. If you take someone to Simmer Down for a celebration, make sure you tell them in advance and they will make a lovely fuss of your guest.

I had saltfish and ackee in yorkshire puddings and prawns in a creamy coconut sauce, with lots of side dishes; yam and plantain and creamed sweet potato. For dessert I had Baileys cheesecake. It was just fantastic.

What I love most about Simmer Down is that being there just makes me feel happy. I recommend it; the place is totally infectitious. Great birthday!

1 Thank helencoventry
AngelaK486, Manager at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Hi Helen

Many thanks for once again taking time out to review Simmer Down. It is always a pleasure to serve you both. We are extremely honored that of all the restaurants you could have chosen for your birthday you chose us..thank you! We are so glad that we have been able to maintain the "magic" for you, and you will be pleased to know that more and more people are now beginning to experience that 'magic' as you put it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Simmer Down soon.

Alph, Angela & the Simmer Down Family
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic & Friendly”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I surprised my wife for our anniversary, with a hotel night in Coventry and looked on Trip Advisor, aiming to go to the No1 restaurant. I had never thought of eating Caribean before and I am so glad I got adventerous. It's a friendly, family run place, you get into the dining room through the small Two Tone cafe (behind No 74 so it takes some looking for!)
The family could not be more friendly but also know when to give you some space; there was another group in, a loacl DJ celebrating his birthday with his family and they obviously were regulars (and kindly shared a complimentary bottle of champagne)
The food tasted amazing - especially the Mutton Curry & the Cheesecake. You got the feeling that Mum had rustled some good home cooking especially for you, so what the presentation lacked, the taste and wholesomeness more than made up!
We can't wait to return in the future, though our only worry is that they'll still be in business as they are so generous in many ways and i don't want them to fail.

1 Thank Richard_A-Sandys
Hi Richard

Many thanks for taking time to review our restaurant so positively. We too are glad that you " got adventurous" and gave Caribbean food a chance, and are even more delighted that you and your wife enjoyed it.

Your point about our generosity has been taken on board and we certainly hope that we will still be in business the next time you come to Coventry.

Angela, Alph & the Simmer Down Family
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We were trying to find somewhere decent to eat and found this place on trip advisor and what a marvel it is. I have never had Caribbean food before and for a first time I can highly recommend. The food is gorgeous and the service second to none, with lovely friendly staff and a wonderfully chilled out atmosphere. Will be recommending this little gm of a restaurant to everyone I know a definite must go to place.

1 Thank Icklemisspink
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Yess! We are delighted when people try Caribbean food for the first time and enjoy it. We are glad you enjoyed our relaxed and chilled atmosphere at Simmer Down, we do try to provide our customers with the best possible experience that they will remember.

Many thanks for taking the time to review our restaurant.

Angela, Alph & the Simmer Down famil
Birmingham
“Great food, great staff, great price, just great!”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My partner and I visited Simmer Down on Saturday night for a birthday meal. We found the restaurant on Trip Advisor and after reading all the great reviews we thought we would give it a go - we were not disappointed!! The staff were friendly from the moment we walked in and the owners wandered around to say hello to everyone. The food was beautiful, we had curried mutton and jerk chicken and would recommend both. And at £8 each, a great price too. We will be returning again.

Thanks for a wonderful evening!

2 Thank African_Trails
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant, we are glad that we managed to live up to our trip advisor reviews and that you were not disappointed. It was a pleasure to serve you and glad you chose us for your birthday meal..

We look forward to welcoming you back to Simmer Down very soon.

Angela, Alph & the Simmer Down Family