“Excellent”

2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 594 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled in the secluded courtyard of 2Tone Village this newly refurbished family run cafe & restaurant provides good food, good times and great service.Home of the Jerk Sausage 2Tone Cafe offers all day breakfast, and more, including Caribbean meals. The restaurant offers an enticing menu of good 'home' style cuisine for those new to Caribbean food and the connoisseur.2Tone Village where the stars of 2Tone are often seen dining, jamming or generally hanging out. Please check our website for open times of the Cafe & Restaurant and for up to date menus and events.
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

I get takeaways here often. The jerk chicken is to die for, so are the jerk sausages in 2Tone cafe. It's high quality, classic Caribbean food with a modern twist. Prices are very reasonable too - mains are around £8. Must also try the warm ginger cake and baileys cheesecake!

3  Thank GarethHughes
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Hi Gareth

Many thanks for the recommendation, it's always a pleasure to serve you, you really must try the restaurant one day.

Look forward to seeing you at 2 Tone Cafe (or better still Simmer Down) real soon.

Angela, Alph & Simmer Down Family

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We went to Simmer Down for our work christmas party and it was a fantastic night out, one I will never forget!! The food was excellent, being from Jamaican heritage and brought up in Yorkshire, the ackee in Yorkshire puddings were a cultural twist to die for! I loved the way we were able to dine and have fun in a relaxed atmosphere and the staff were extremely accommodating. I have visited numerous caribbean restaurants and unfortunately mostly they have not always been a good experience in food quality and service but I would have no reservations in recommending Simmer Down as The place to visit for authentic jamaican cooking and service which is excellent. My only regret is that they do not have a restaurant in Birmingham where I live, lets hope they branch out soon!
Thanks to all the staff for a great night out and I will be visiting again very soon!

3  Thank jackie_lynton

Hi Jackie

Many thanks for your review of our restaurant you positive comments are very much appreciated.

We are so glad that you all had a good night with us and glad you enjoyed our fusion ackee & saltfish in Yorkshire pudding!

We too have visited Caribbean restaurants and take away's where the service has been almost non existent, but our aim is to make everyone that comes through our doors feel welcome and want to comeback.

As for branching out to Birmingham, there is an old say that goes something like 'you have to creep before you can walk' this is our first venture as a restaurant and we have only been up and running for 7 months so a little early to be thinking about branching out I think but maybe one day :)

We look forward to welcoming you back to Simmer Down real soon :)

Alph, Angela & Simmer Down Family

Reviewed December 29, 2012

My fiancé & I visited this place on a Saturday night just after Christmas. We eat out regulally an noticed this was number one on Tripadvisor. We are from Finham so was the other side of the City for us but we thought it was worth ago, we are extremely glad we did!! The food was ace, I kid you not. There are plenty of places you can pay alot for microwaved garbage, here you pay a very, very reasonable price for proper Caribbean grub! Will go back again very soon. Angela, I think it was, looked after us and she was very friendly. I really hope this place takes off as it deserves to, real people, real food & real prices!

4  Thank Mulzinho
AngelaK486, Manager at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Hi

Many thanks for your resounding recommendation for our small family run restaurant and your good wishes for our future.

Our aim is to always stay true to traditional homemade quality food (maybe with the odd twist here and there) and so we are glad that you thought our "food was ace".

We look forward to welcoming you back to Simmer Down real soon :)

Angela, Alph & the Simmer Down family

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Good food at this lovely caribean restaurant which caters for halal diet. Really enjoyed the curried goat, jerk chicken and the Yorkshire starters with saltfish. Thanks for looking after us so nicely.

2  Thank Happytraveller186334
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

HappyTraveller186, it was a pleasure to have you and your work colleagues in our restaurant and we are glad you all enjoyed the evening.

We hope to welcome you back to Simmer Down real soon!

Angela, Alph & All at Simmer Down

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I went to Simmer Down with colleagues from work for our Christmas meal. It was simply a fanstastic night. Good home cooked food from a comprehensive menu was served by friendly and welcoming staff who helped us have a truely fantastic night. We were really lucky to be able to taste most of the main courses - they were all great and my only dilemena would be what to choose then next time I visit! For those who love musin/nostalgia there's also the benefit that the restaurant is decorated to reflect Coventry's 2 Tone heritage.

There's a fab range of non alcolholic drinks on offer along with usual soft drinks and for those who fancy somethng stronger there's a BYO policy so you can enjoy your fav wine, red stripe or other beverage with your meal.

Go soon before it get's too busy to get a table!

2  Thank craigzLondon
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

CraigZ

Thanks to reviews like yours we are getting busy, so your advice to others is well justified.

We are glad you had such an enjoyable time with us and even more pleased that you felt able to share your satisfaction with others, as I say time again as a family run business it is our aim to maintain the down to earth welcome and the relaxed atmosphere.

We very much look forward to welcoming you again.

Warm regards