“Amazing food and atmosphere - just like Sunday dinner at Grandmas!”

2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 617 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Nestled in the secluded courtyard of 2Tone Village this newly refurbished family run cafe & restaurant provides good food, good times and great service.Home of the Jerk Sausage 2Tone Cafe offers all day breakfast, and more, including Caribbean meals. The restaurant offers an enticing menu of good 'home' style cuisine for those new to Caribbean food and the connoisseur.2Tone Village where the stars of 2Tone are often seen dining, jamming or generally hanging out. Please check our website for open times of the Cafe & Restaurant and for up to date menus and events.
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I visited Simmer Down along with 20 of my colleagues for a work Christmas dinner. The first thing that you notice is the lovely table settings which they had kindly arranged for the large amount of people we had. The welcoming was very warm and friendly.

We had the luxury of tasting everything on the menu! To start, ackee & saltfish in Yorkshire puddings which were lovely twist to a traditional Jamaican dish. They also catered especially for the vegetarians we had in our group with fried dumplins, plantain and fritters. We then had the main course which we red snapper fish, jerk chicken (which may I add was my favourite), prawns in coconut sauce, rice and peas, calaloo and again vegetable variants for individuals.
For dessert we had the pleasure of choosing from ginger or carrot cake served with villnia or rum ice-cream, and although I didnt get to taste both, the comments from the group spoke volumes about how rich it was!

The food tasted brilliant and as I have a Jamaican heritage myself you can it was original ital food !! I will be visiting again and recommending this place.

Reuben

2  Thank reuben b
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Ruben many thanks for the high praise 'just like Sunday dinner at Grandmas!”, I know your grandma so that is a compliment indeed.

We are glad that you and your work colleagues enjoyed your evening with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Simmer Down soon.

Angela, Alph & all at Simmer Down

Reviewed December 19, 2012

fabulous food and atmosphere in an environment which was as comfortable as being at home. Wonderful cake and ice-cream.

1  Thank Robert F

Thank you Robert F for your kind words, we are glad you all enjoyed your time and the food here at Simmer Down and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Angela, Alph & All at Simmer Down

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I went for my birthday last weekend and was really impressed with the food, service and ambience. The ackee and saltfish in Yorkshire puddings were fabulous as was the curried mutton with rice and peas. The wine was lovely too and you can take your own. Great value for money, lovely welcoming staff (who even got me a birthday card!) Really impressed and can't wait to back next time I'm in Coventry.

1  Thank RJPerrelli
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Many thank you for your review, it was a pleasure to have you at our Cafe & Restaurant and we trust you had a great birthday weekend and a pleasant journey home.

We look forward to welcoming you back to 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant next time you are in Coventry.

Angela, Alph & all at 2 Tone Corner

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Having visited this restaurant on a Friday night with my partner, I can testify that the quality of food and passion of the staff should make this restaurant more well attended. This is a undiscovered gem for both good food and fantastic value for money. I would expect to pay more for what I received but I am not complaining..... If I would be negative I would have liked to see a few more dishes on the menu, serve some fruit nibbles or something on arrival and definitely emphasise the Caribbean spirit more. Hey be proud and celebrate being caribbean. I cannot finish without saying they serve the best Blue Moutain coffee which is worth the trip itself. Lastly thanks to the owners for sharing their passion with us, good luck and more reggae to your jeggaeci will be sure to come back some time.
Mr Russell

1  Thank mick-mr

Many thanks for reviewing our restaurant. We are glad you enjoyed your time with us and that our passion for Caribbean food was evident.

We have noted and will act appropriately on your comments. As a new restaurant we welcome all feedback as it can only help us to improve.

We look forward to welcoming you to Simmer Down again very soon when we can definitely charge you more if you like (lol)!

Angela

Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I visited the "simmer down" restaurant last night and had a great experience. The hospitality was warm and welcoming from start to finish. The food was traditionally made and of excellent taste and quality. We will be recommending the restaurant to our friends and family and will be returning ourselves very soon! Thanks for a great night.

1  Thank Jonnykidblast
AngelaK486, Owner at 2 Tone Cafe & Simmer Down Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Hi

Many thanks for your recommendation.

We like to give all our customers the full Caribbean experience when they come to Simmer Down (sorry we can't offer the Caribbean climate!) but we are glad that you found us 'warm and welcoming' and that you enjoyed our food, we are equally delighted that you will be
"recommending the restaurant to our friends and family and will be returning ourselves very
soon! " and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Angela & Alph