“Great location beautiful building”
Review of The Establishment - CLOSED

The Establishment
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Went here with my Husband and in laws for lunch as we were visiting the cathedral. Beautiful interior with lots of history. Very friendly welcoming staff. The food was fresh and very nice.Would recommend for lunch although it looked like it would transform into a very busy sports bar in the evening!!!

Angela F, Manager at The Establishment, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you for visiting The Establishment Bar and Grill.

I am glad you enjoyed your lunch experience with us – we are very proud of our building and its interior and it is always pleasing to hear such nice comments. I will also pass on your comments to the staff at our next staff meeting,

We do show sports sometimes on our TV, but primarily it shows the news but the volume is always turned off – it is the background rather than a feature of the bar.

I am glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again soon.

Thank you.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

What a great location amid the dreaming spires of Coventry but what a shocking dining experience. I had the squid which was so chewy it was more Michelin tyre than Michelin star; the sirloin probably came from a cow in India that had passed away on the side of a road. Absolutely shocking. Avoid the food at all costs.

1  Thank Topman38

Thank you for visiting The Establishment Bar and Grill.

Agreed our location within the Cathedral Quarter is excellent and we are very lucky to have such a wonderful building set in such beautiful surroundings.

I would like to say that we do not have an Michelin Star nor do we pretend to want one – I would suggest that if you had ordered squid in a Michelin Starred restaurant you would pay a little more than what we charge(£5.50), however that does not make your comments any less valid or important to us.

I have spoken to Chef and he is disappointed with the comments made, he will be speaking to both our meat and fish suppliers.
Our suppliers deliver into us daily and we normally do not have any problems with our Fish or Meat, I can only apologise that the food was not to the standard that we normally produce – your comments have as I said been passed to the correct people and will be addressed.
I hope that in time you may consider visiting us again.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Ambience good, just not inspiring food or service, nothing to complain about, edible, but lacking in soul. I'd return for sure, but with just "eating" intentions. Sorry guys!

Thanks for visiting The Establishment Bar and Grill.

It’s good to hear you enjoyed the ambience; this is partly down to the building and its décor and our customers!

Shame to hear you found the food and service uninspiring – our Chef has worked hard on giving our customers a menu that covers many tastes – food is subjective and on this occasion we have not ticked all the boxes for you that is always disappointing to hear, but I thank you for your constructive criticism and without such we would never move forward.

I hope you might call in again and hopefully next time we will fair a little better.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have been here 3 times in as many months, for afternoon tea, Saturday lunch and then this Friday night out with the girls. Each visit was a different time of the day, but I experienced the same good food and good service. The location is perfect in the smarter area of the city centre of Coventry, by the Cathedral. Good selection on the menu, and when the food arrived it was good quality, presented well, yet still a quick service. The lamb and the steaks were perfect! The staff were exceptional, very friendly, even when we got a bit lively! We were looked after throughout our evening, and nothing was too much trouble. I would definitely recommend this place and will be going back again. Thanks to all the staff for making our night a memorable one.

Thank you returning to The Establishment Bar and Grill.

Well very kind words indeed – it is also great to hear we are getting it right and at different times of the day…I couldn’t have written a better review if I wanted too.

I thank you for your continued support and hope you visit again soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been here twice in recent months, meeting friends for lunch. The first time I had the roasted vegetable risotto, which was so-so, the risotto was fine but the vegetable were so obviously the frozen ones you get as a mixed pack of Mediterranean Vegetables, and had just been added, therefore the flavours did not mingle. The puddings (fruit crumble with ice cream) were more exciting.
The food on our second visit was more pleasing. When I got home I was realised that I could have used my Tastecard and saved the price of one of the meals - my fault but a good lesson for others, and of course, why would they tell you?
All in all a pleasant place to meet, we loved the decor and the sympathetically restored County Hall of old.