“A lovely pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Millpool

The Millpool
Ranked #56 of 570 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Millpool offers traditional ales and home cooked food in relaxed and clean surroundings.Try us today you wont be disappointed
“A lovely pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

The pub itself was lovely, seemed very busy for a Saturday early afternoon and the member of staff I dealt with was polite with a smile on her face, although in puzzled as to why because hearing how the manager spoke to her within ear range of his custom was absolutely appalling. I didn't quite catch what the conversation was about but it was said loud enough to hear his profound language towards his bar staff.

On the whole my visit was more than satisfactory and my only criticism would be the manager. You cannot manage staff if you cannot manage yourself in a professional manner.

• Visited August 2013
Millpool C, Manager at The Millpool, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Taylr0x,

My names Tom i'm the Manager your review refers too.

Firstly i'd like to thank you for taking the time to review our pub and for your kind comments.

Secondly i'd like to apologise if i caused you any offence on saturday, I've just read this and no occasion pops to mind on saturday so I phoned the member of staff who was on early afternoon on saturday to make sure i hadn't upset her and she also can't remember any occasion where i was rude or inappropriate when speaking to her. What i think you may of heard i can only simply describe as work mates banter. Debbie is a worker, one of the last few old school barmaids still working in Coventry. She's a rarity, a one-off, a millpool special. Debbie is The Millpool's longest serving member of staff. Debbie's been in this game too long to take any stick from anyway, now believe you and me if i'd upset her i'd be deaf to the ear getting to know about it.

By way of an apology for offending you with what you over heard i'd really like it you would come down to The Millpool and see Debbie and I personally 11-5 saturday and sunday, the drinks are on me and you can get to know us a little better and have some understanding of our 'banter'. Alternatively you can call us on 024 76 459928 any saturday or sunday 11-5 and speak to debbie personally and hopefully she can help you with any concerns you have about my treatment of her.

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Food ok but staff miserable”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Went for a Friday lunch from work to be unhappily welcomed by a miserable member of staff. Drink order taken then she walked off without taking our food order. Then had to wait to place food order with another member of staff. Food arrived in good time as place was quiet. Fish and chaps which was ok. Overall food and prices ok but staff miserable. Felt like they didn't want customers. Won't be going back in a hurry.

Dear Cov_Nick,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, I will speak to the member of staff in question but seriously name me one woman in your life that's 100% happy 100% of the time? its an impossible situation.

I'll get to work on the solution now and I hope you do give us another try.

london
“You'd have to be a 'mill-fool' to eat here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Decided to try the millpool as always drove past it on my way to work and thought it looked like a nice, clean, family pub. On first arrival it looked just that, family friendly, and just like a regular 'home cooked' pub. Little did I know I was about to eat the worst meal I'd ever eaten! We were greeted at the bar by a girl who obviously got the job for reasons other than personality. I've seen more life in a plank of wood! 3 soft drinks set me back £8. Then the food....played it safe and went for roast beef and my partner had roast turkey. For my £9.75 I received...2 slices of chewy in edible cold beef, 3 small cold and burnt roast potatoes, a spoon of instant 'smash' and a portion of watery brown overlooked cold cabbage. I mean seriously? Has it come to this? Surely a roast dinner is one of the most simplest of meals to prepare and cook? I mean can the employees in the kitchen really be called chefs? If you ever feel like stopping into the millpool for a quick bite to eat, I urge you to save your money and donate it to a soup kitchen. A homeless person somewhere in the country will receive better meal for it!

P.s my 15 month old son will eat anything but refused the plate of tinned macaroni cheese that was put in front of him!

• Visited September 2012
Dear Cbruen,

Thank you for taking the time to give our business a review. I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise on behalf of everyone at The Millpool that your visit wasn't up to standard. I really wish you had of identified these problems to me personally as I work all food hours on a Sunday and if i had of been made aware of the issue there an then i can assure you, you would not have left us disappointed.

With regards to your review the staff member that served you will be spoken too. 3 regular draught soft drinks cost a maximum of £5.40 and our roast dinner is £7.95 with the option to add a starter or dessert for just £2 more so i'm a little unsure of which pubs prices you are quoting as its most definitely not ours. The 'inedible beef' is locally sourced British topside which is cooked medium rare on a sunday morning (45 degrees) then to serve we cover it in gravy and cook it further until medium well (65 degrees), this is regularly checked by the chefs and myself with a thermostat to ensure proper cooking temperatures and consistency. I struggle to see how roast potatoes can be both cold and burnt at the same time?, our 'smash' is King Edwards potatoes, boiled, drained and mashed by our chef using butter and cream to give it that smooth texture and the 'watery brown overlooked cold cabbage' was delivered last Friday by our local greengrocer, prepped Saturday by the chef and cooked in boiling hot water as soon as the order come in. The kids macaroni cheese is from a quality supplier who is used in 1000's of pubs up and down the country. As for my chefs Leighton, Darren, Joe and Tommo have over 40 years combined experience in kitchens and The Millpool is blessed to have a head chef with over 15yrs experience in some quality establishments up and down the county and across Europe so I have no doubt in their abilities both individually and as a team.

In conclusion I again apologise for your experience and as always I will endeavor to make sure The Millpool is 100% right, 100% of the time. I can only describe your visit as a one off which as i stated at the beginning could have been rectified had you made us aware of the problem at the time. The Millpool will continue to be a nice, clean, family friendly pub serving home cooked food, this is reflected in our TripAdvisor 96% recommendation rating.

Tom

P.S. I applaud your support of soup kitchens, never has there been a time when more people have needed help its a cause we greatly support threw our local Food & Clothes Bank organisation.
coventry
“Lovely Sunday Roast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

My wife and visited the Millpool today for a drink and Sunday roast. We were in luck cos they were in the middle of a beer festival, and so I had a couple of the guest ales, and my wife opting for pino.We had the starters (I had the homemade soup and my wife the prawn / salmon cocktail) both very nice and a bargain at £2 each. We then both had the beef roast dinner, and very tasty for £7.95. The decor was also modern and the staff friendly and helpful. We have completed the form to get the loyalty card which gives 10 percent off next time. All in all, I very nice.

Dear Passsat,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us a review, your feedback is very much appreciated. Nice to hear you we're lucky enough to catch us half way through our annual august beer festival and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Cheers
“Lovely meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Myself & my partner came down to the Millpool tonight for a meal that I had won on FB. I have to admit, I had thought, given the fact that this was a free meal, that we may be subject to a shortened menu however-I am pleased to say that that we were offered any meal and drinks courtesy of the house. I enjoyed the chicken tikka masala very much & my partner devoured the steak fajitas. We both had a lovely experience here and would recommend it to anyone. Very friendly staff also.
Oh, should also mention that both indoors and outdoors of the pub looked very clean, toilets immaculate and even smoking shelters swept and at a very respectable level.
We were very impressed with the millpool and will definatly visit again! :-)

Hi CoventryBlondie,

Congratulations on winning our facebook competition, really glad you enjoyed your time with us and thank you very much for the review.

Hope to see you again soon