“Not as good as it used to be”
Review of The Millpool

The Millpool
Ranked #19 of 590 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Millpool offers traditional ales and home cooked food in relaxed and clean surroundings. Try us today you wont be disappointed
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I live locally and visited here in January for a family meal, as I have done many times in the past . . . and left disappointed for the first time in all my visits.
The food is traditional pub food with a few restaurant style dishes and used to be excellent - very well cooked, flavoursome, delicious - far more than you would expect from a pub and worthy of repeat business.
However, things seem to have deteriorated, as on my last visit, we found the food to be less well cooked, with poorer quality ingredients, lacking flavour, and in some cases plain bland. For example, the curry that two of our group ordered had absolutely no curry flavour whatsoever, not even mildly. The prices seem to have increased a little too.
A shame, because it was an excellent local pub that you could always rely on for a great meal - hope things improve soon.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

went for a meal on saturday night and although it wasn't that cold outside, they had the heating on in the pub full blast and had to ask for a table near the door. starters are over-priced in my opinion and ordered the pate which came in the smallest tub ever (in fact it's what restaurants usually serve a portion of butter in) my partner had four very small duck spring rolls, but the main courses were quite big (duck confit and I had salmon) and they certainly filled us up. Beer was a bit on the expensive side too and the wine £3.15 for a small measure. To sum it up very nice food, but they need to look at their prices compared to other "pubs" as that's all it is and not a restaurant

Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Only live down the road from this pub and often eat and drink here. nice cosy friendly pub my only gripe is is that the wine is awful!! Now i love my wine and dont mind paying £3 for a glass if its good wine!! Its not and if it was i would def more often as its a lovely pub

1  Thank jinxie84
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Have been going to the Millpool for about a year now - this pub ihas a really good atmosphere, a variety of all ages, people. You get all sorts in there and by that I mean, workmen in dirty jeans , alongside the ladies in posh jeans and glitzy top. No onelooks out of place or gives a hoot for that matter. The food is excellent value and very tasty with generous portions too. The specials board always offers something different by way of a change. The beer is good too. Service is always friendly and efficient. We have a loyalty card which gives you a discount of purchases of £15 (final bill) or more. They have regular events on for Olympics and stuff like that, entertainment for the kids as well. I had oxtail last time I was there and a guy offered to help me out with eating the huge portion and vowed to come back to try it, as it was years since he'd tasted oxtail. Good value for money and good all round pub. I wouldn't say you go to a pub for romance hence my average rating for this section.

1  Thank Yvonne058
Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Great food! Proper home cooked chips & big portions at reasonable price. Staff are nice too. The only thing I would change would be a better/bigger wine menu! Other than that cannot fault it. Cosy pub suitable for all!