“Cheap, for a reason, half the price of a chain, why spend more”

Days Hotel Coventry
Ranked #26 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
“Cheap, for a reason, half the price of a chain, why spend more”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Me and the wife were seeing a show at the arts centre, and we didn't want to spend a lot just a quick mid week treat and just for the one night so we though £40 was very reasonable for a double room including breakfast compared with £74 plus breakfast at premier inn.

The bed was a bit hard only one thin pillow each but it did the job, wall paper peeling off the walls could do with decorating but I'm not living there, mould in the shower but only in corners and fresh clean warm towels,so it didn't bother me, there was a stale smell in the halls from the indian downstairs but again I wasn't sleeping in the hall ways, also a stained lamp shade in my room but again it worked!! ...now you may think this is awful but the room was warm, dry, shower was hot and powerful, I don't want to give a bad review just to be honest, cheap room not the best but definitely not the worst.

Breakfast was free, but had cereal croissants toast juice coffee, ideal, would I of preferred to spend over double for premier inn, no!! this did the trick. I am from the hospitality trade, and could see this place is just badly run, things could be improved so in expensively and easily but clearly the management just are not aware how, so take advantage £20 each per night incl breakfast its cheap!!...

I'd go again.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Essex
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Arrived too early for check in but was able to leave car in their car park for a walk into the centre.
The address is Holyhead Road but the entrance is in Meriden Street (opposite a Londis )
Staff are very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and well decorated, complete with tea/coffee makings ,TV , hairdryer .
The breakfast should please all but the fussiest foodies , Toast, cereals, croissants, yoghurt and fruit. Cooked full English being £4.95 extra . Tables are cleared quickly, and for the telly addicts there are two TVs showing sky news.
The bar and lounge areas are clean, modern and well decorated. The flat screen TV also showing the same ( yawn ! )
Could not fault the service or facilities but I'm sure if I had a problem the staff would have helped.
The restaurant is a bit pricey, serving English dishes and curries, the smell of which radiates throughout the hotel. Not a problem if like me you like it.
Best place to eat apart from the hotel, is 'The Litten Tree' on Warwick Row. Two mains, two sides and two pints for £17! Bargain!
An ideal base for the Warwick exhibition centre and possibly the Birmingham NEC. Stoneleigh showground is also close.

Room Tip: Can't comment on location of rooms as area seemed quiet so no pub noise although it is on a main...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I honestly do not know where to start.

I came alone to this hotel for a friends wedding and knew a couple going. I asked if it was possible for me to stay near them as a lone female but was told no, there are no free rooms.

I go up to my room at the back of the hotel at the end of a dingy corrider. The room is very small and outdated but fine for 1 person. There were balls of dust behind the door and in the corners, the shower curtain had a foot of mould at the bottom and the room generally smelt damp.

I got out of bed in the morning and into the shower (very weak). There was no shower gel or shampoo left in the dispenser. The dispenser was not attached to the wall and there were large screws coming out of the back. When I squeezed the dispenser it fell off the wall resulting in me slipping and hurting my hand.

I got out of the shower to call reception but the phone wasn't working.

I had a wedding to attend this day and was very nearly late for this. My stress levels were through the roof.

Reception then moved me to a room opposite my friends (which had been empty the night before... so much for being fully booked.

This room was better, bigger, lighter but still not the cleanest.

I found the staff generally unhelpful in this hotel.

I was assured no money would be taken from my bank account until the manager spoke to me the followiing day.

1 week later I finally managed to get in touch with the manager, They had taken the full amount from my bank account already (taking money without permission, theft in my books). The manager's english was a little shaky and he said he did not have the authority to refund the money taken.

It is currently 6 weeks after my stay and I have not had so much as an apology back from this hotel. The reception area looks lovely, clean and modern but the rooms and the staff are awful. I would not stay in a Days hotel again after my experience here (which is a shame as it is the most convenient hotel for my trips to visit family in the North; I would rather pay double and travel further than stay with this group again).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank aimee j
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

It was my first time here. Plenty of free parking, free wifi - decent speed, enough to watch you tube videos without crashing. I booked a Suite which was spacious, nice bathroom and the service was good. There was a complimentary continental breakfast (English breakfast was extra)
I'd stay again
Only issue was the local restaurants were a 5-10 walk but that's not their fault

• Stayed October 2012
Gloucestershire
Reviewed October 9, 2012

don't be fooled by the official photos of this hotel on their website. Very basic, rooms dated, bed very uncomfortable and only one very small flat pillow, however the bathroom was very clean. We were not happy after booking a table for dinner to find that all they were serving was CURRY, nothing else!! The menus in the rooms offer a wide selection of food but it was only curry being served, and when you walk through the corridors to your room, the place stinks of it. The dining room is quite nicely decorated, but there were no table cloths on any of the tables, a small thing but it felt that the place could not be bothered. A ten minute walk away was a great pub that served lovely food.
This hotel looks very nice and modern on it's website and in it's photos but it is all show. When checking out we voiced our concerns and they couldn't have cared less.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were dubious about the quality of the hotel and its amenities due to the price we paid, we were pleasantly surprised! Each member of staff we came across was really pleasant and helpful, there is a great priced bar on site with meals available. The variety of food in the bar is quite limited, but saying that the food we had certainly was delicious and very reasonably priced. The rooms are basic but clean, a bit dated but a very comfy bed. The shower was quite powerful and we had enough room for our needs.
Breakfast was a bit busy as it was the weekend, I think everyone decided to go to eat at the same time! Again, the staff were friendly and helpful and were kept busy ensuring there was plenty of food/ drink for the continental breakfast self service bar. There was an average selection and thats all I can say really about it.
We needed a base, the Days Hotel suited our needs, the staff, food and bar prices mean we probably would return for another 1 night stay although I cannot imagine staying more than that. Cheap and cheerful!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Godalming, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

A fair value hotel a little tucked away outside the ring road but only ten minutes or so on foot from the City centre. Courteous and friendly reception and comfortable room with all the amenities you'd expect (good selection of hot drinks including chocolate, welcome in the evening). Satisfactory but not exceptional cleanliness in room, public areas very good; it was quiet and I had a good nights' sleep (I stayed for two nights). There was a copious breakfast included in the price-pastries, toast, cereals, drinks, yoghurt...with full English as an optional extra.There is a bar and restaurant with sports TV on, and tabloid newspapers in the foyer. I only tried the restaurant once and it was quite satisfactory. All in all a good choice for a City break or business trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo