“Good location but bad nights sleep”

Days Hotel Coventry
Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed June 5, 2011

This hotel is a great location and very cheap and you do get what you pay for in terms of the room! We paid £35 room only. Room was clean enough and the staff great although we asked for a fan as it was really hot in the room and we were told it would be there when we got back... Never did get the fan. Had a really bad nights sleep due to the road at the front which is constantly busy, even when you close the windows it makes no difference to the noise!! I would stay again but request a back room!!

• Stayed: June 2011

Reviewed May 25, 2011

I had booked the hotel without having checked any reviews for the reason that you are able to park your car in the hotel grounds (this service is not available at most city hotels and can be expensive}. I decided not to go by car in the end and out of interest looked at the hotels reviews guide, some were most off-putting and I was not sure what to expect. Well the staff were great, the public areas spot on and although the rooms are a little dated mine was spotlessly clean. It is a five minute further walk into the city center than some of the other hotels and you have to cross a footbridge or underpass but this is offset by the fact you can park your car just outside the door. Great stay and many thanks to the staff.

Room Tip: Good hotel if you need to take your car.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Not quite Fawlty... But unless the management takes care then this hotel will almost definitely head that way indeed.

Stayed here in April 2011 as we are looking towards moving to Coventry or the West Midlands in time for a new venture that I am taking up in October (irrelevant I know).

Having stayed at Days Inn in Corley (on the services, see other review) 3 times in the past two weeks I thought we knew what we were getting. We have also stayed at Days Hotel in Nottingham, again see other review and thought that the brand is far, far better than Travelodge.

Arrived at the Hotel before the hotels.com check in time of 1430, arrived at 1400 and checked in with almost no problems. Except for the request of a bank card by the receptionist; I politely declined having told them that we had booked via hotels.com and can provide an alternative form of identification if required. Fortunately it wasn't required and nor was the bank card.

Allocated room 106 which, after going up the lift and through the never ending corridor, via stairs and etc turned out that the key card did not work. So as you can imagine it was another track down the stairs etc, and this time the 'problem' was solved.

Got back up to (and finally in to) the room and it was absolutely boiling. Incredibly hot, and the fraction of air from the window was less than adequate. Shower required then; had it been fit for purpose - which it was not. It simply wasn't effective enough as both the rate of the pressure received from the shower and the temperature control are both on one knob! Awful system indeed, turn the pressure up and wham bam stinging hot, turn the pressure down and freezing, no compromise.

The room was almost immaculately (minus the odd spec of dust) clean however and the TV was amazing.

Roads in to the hotel are messy; can be confusing and unclear. The location of the hotel is fairly central to the City which offers a lot in the face of: culture, education and shops.

Didn't eat at the restaurant so shall not pass comment.

Having the window open considering how hot it was only intensified the incredibly noisy road based environment (not the hotel's fault at all!) so made it almost impossible to sleep. Sorry but air con/ climate control would be welcome.

The TV as said was amazing and made watching the Man City vs Man u match great.

WiFi useless only on the ground floor too, which is a crying shame.

Anyway thanks for reading, go in with an open mind. It's good because there's free parking, a fairly welcoming environment with clean facilities and a 2 minute walk to the City, a bar and a fairly comfortable nights stay if you like to be very warm than this is the place. I am sorry I cannot be more generous, but I do like to be honest as you can see if you read my previous contributions.

Take care Days, a good brand which you have to work hard to preserve in today's cut throat hotel industry.

Thanks! Would recommend to a friend if they needed somewhere with free parking and somewhere that they were only intending to spent 1 night at of course.

Room Tip: Take a fan!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I wasn't expecting too much from the hotel after reading the mixed reviews, especially concerning the staff, but the hotel exceeded my expectations. The room was fairly basic, but for £39 a night what can you expect? Big TV with plenty of channels, tea and coffee facilities... all in all very good. And as for the staff, they could not have been more helpful. When we had a problem with our room key, a friendly cleaner let us into our room so we didn't have to go back down to reception, and the staff at the front desk were efficient but smiley and happy to chat, enquiring about our visit and asking for feedback when we left - something I wish all hotels did! Throw in a free continental breakfast, and this hotel really stands out amongst other budget hotels. Wouldn't be my first choice for a special occasion, but for somewhere reasonably priced to stay, this hotel was perfect.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Stopped here beause we were too tired to drive any further after a long flight. The hotel was clean, quiet, had all we needed by way of facilities and the staff were friendly and helpful. Basic but great value and we would use again

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kunduku
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I stayed at the hotel two nights for business this weekend. The the room was reasonably priced, and was fairly nice and clean. The shower did not work though, and when reported to the reception I was told they couldn't fix it nor put me in another room. So no shower for three days.. Lovely!

Unfortunately I forgot my keys in the room, which were found by the staff after I checked out. They were however very reluctant about sending them to me in the post, even though I explained to them I wasn't going to drive 3 hours each way from where I live to pick up my keys which they so easily could send me.

After a while I was able to speak to the manager who explained that they had a policy of not sending items guests had forgotten, as they expected the guests themselves to come pick up whatever they forgot! Unbelieveable! What if they had a guest travelling from abroad? I can only assume the staff would keep the lost items in that case.. I explained to him once again how inefficient it would be for me to drive 6 hours to come pick up the set of keys, and after debating back and forth for some time he agreed to make an exception for me. Fantastic!

Oh, not so much. For them to send me the keys, they needed payment from me in advance for a guy to go with a taxi to a post office, for the guy to get back to the hotel in a taxi + postage. I said "Fine. Just a second, I'll find my credit card" and thought everything would be fine. I was mistaken.. As they didn't know the exact price of the taxi and the postage, they couldn't charge me just yet and would need to get back to me the following day!!

After what I can only assume was some extremely thorough research, they got back to me with the minuscule amount to cover the postage + 1.4 mile taxi ride (0.7 miles each way). I paid, and they said they would post the keys the following day, which they FINALLY did.

My conclusion is that you can easily find hotels in Coventry with the same quality of facilities, but with LOADS better customer service. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2011

The hotel is very well priced, the rooms were stylish and comfortable, especially for the price, and the hotel was well located in the city centre. The staff at reception were very friendly and eager to help - but the systems they have to work with seemed to let them down.

I booked through eBookers (not an especially discounted rate) and their reservation system couldn't really handle it - only the manager could see the reservation when I arrived. Simply not good enough. Then, when I got to the room, the lock didn't work (it had failed to unlocked) so I had to change the room, which was done without a quibble.

This may or may not matter but free internet is only in the lobby, not in the rooms (in case there is any misunderstanding about the availability). Not a problem on a one-night stay but it may have been for longer.

The hotel itself is well presented, well located and comfortable and the staff were as good as they could be, in the circumstances. I'm also sure if the management tightened things up, they could charge more, too, so I'm still awarding four stars because even after all that, I still feel I got more than my money's worth.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo