“Disappointing and weak almost in every area.”
Review of Allesley Hotel

Allesley Hotel
Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Bristol
“Disappointing and weak almost in every area.”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Booked by my company, who clearly did not research. I stayed here several years ago and remembered why i had not returned. Its a large hotel and caters for functions but the hotel experience is not one you will get here. Right from the entrance, where its possible to try every other door first, you will have to find staff or ask for assistance - not the other way round. The rooms are variable but there is a common theme, the bathroom area is in terrible condition. I was concerned that the bathroom tiles were to fall off any moment, the mouldy silicone i could just about handle. Breakfast was another oddity, i asked for tea and the response was 'i'll have to find some', the dishes on standby for the hot foot were full of grease and dripping from a previous function! Returning after midnight, you have to phone for the porter. I did not see the bar area open.Thats the weaknesses, on a positive note its cheaper than elsewhere. The locals in the pub next door call it Fawlty Towers, how nice!!!

Room Tip: cross your fingers.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ChiefRN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

When we arrived we were expecting a dive after seeing some of the other reviews. On first appearances it all seems rather grand but first impressions were deceptive. The evening staf who checked us in we're a bit surly and not particularly friendly. My colleague was allocated a room that stank and hadn't been cleaned so had to be moved. The rooms are tired, pokey and not in great condition but I have stayed in far worse places. The main problem with this hotel is the customer service we received in the morning: the night before we had checked what time breakfast was served till and were told 9.30. I came down at 9.15 only to find it was all closed. I went to enquire at reception, only to be greeted by an extremely unpleasant woman who basically shouted at me and tried to tell me it was my fault, that no one had been down since 7 so the chef and cleared it all up, and I had to understand. I politely explained this was not my problem and we had even said last night we wouldn't be down till 9.15. The woman was rude, unpleasant, finally agreed to let us have cereal with milk. There was mould on the crappy bread. We had to specifically ask for tea and coffee.
The hotel is tired and not particularly nice but as I say, the real problem was the appalling customer service. I'd steer clear if I was you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank hboyde
England
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have stayed here several times - as part of a group that books the place because it is dirt cheap and, as we have stayed with a large party of children, they can hardly damage the place!!

In previous years I have experienced the awful, appalling and usually filthy rooms, usually freezing with hit and miss running water.

This year I stayed in the Lodge, which had been renovated. True enough, the room was freshly decorated, the beds looked new and featured a flat-screen TV and had a very sophisticated looking power shower in the corner of the bathroom. Surely nothing could go wrong I thought to my self.

Here goes:

1. The mattress on the bed was - I'm certain - preformed concrete!
2. The toilet would not flush unless the taps were running in the sink
3. There was no hot water at any stage
4. The shower didn't work, never mind act as a power shower - but the fact that there was a radio in the shower added to the Fawlty Towers feeling
5. It was not possible to close the curtains as the extra bed in the room blocked the way

The bar is very over priced and the public areas of the hotel are not comfortable. It isn't the sort of place that you would want to sit around in...it has the feel of a bad casino meets clearance sale from the set of Dallas.

Breakfast takes place in a windowless, grubby room. Cheap products characterize the breakfast along with a somewhat pervasive odour of rancid cooking oil!

ignore any suggestion that this is an ok, value for money, budget type of place. It is much worse....chaotic, scruffy, dirty, cheerless.

The only positive thing I can mention are the staff, who on the whole were friendly, unsupported and a bit embarrassed by what can - at best - only be described as a eccentric approach by the owners and at worst, a deliberate and cynical approach to money.

It would be funny if they weren't taking your money!!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tonstok
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel on business recently, the stay was ok and definitely not the nightmare I feared after reading some of the reports. The staff were all polite and helpful but there’s one that demands a special mention and that's the barmaid Claire.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Allesley Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. I have circulated your comments to the team here at the hotel who would like to convey their thanks also. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Allesley in the future.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed for one night last weekend on first impressions I was somewhat concerned, how wrong I was, perfect check in, wonderful nights sleep, and a fantastic breakfast to follow in the morning,The staff were very polite and professional, We will return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maria N
Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. Your kind comments are very much appreciated and will be passed to my colleagues here at the hotel. Thank you once again.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Booked on the basis of getting a refurbished room as I had read the other reviews. I had to ask for a confirmation to be sent which was a little odd. On arrival I said I was expecting this type of room unfortunately this had not been allocated, in addition the room rate was £25 in excess of what was quoted. That said both these problems were immediately rectified - good job the place was not full. The reception areas (which was not easy to find on foot) have obviously been refurbished with over the top chandaliers and new furniture but although my room was refurbished quite nicely in the 'living' area the bathroom was not with mouldy grouting and sealant. Also the heating appeared to be off when I got up which made a shower a little uncomfortable. Breakfast once I found out where it was was fine, nothing special but I only paid £40 B&B so more than adequate, however it appears that the reception staff double up as breakfast staff which means getting reception tasks done rather difficult during breakfast.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a refurbished room, preferably with refurbed bathroom away from the funcyion r...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Martyna320
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Arrived 5pm to find the room not cleaned. Moved to another room which someone appeared to be occupying. Moved to another room...cleaner went in beforehand! Was allowed in 10mins later to find the stench of smoke unbareable. Moved to the 4th room. On undressing for the shower realised there was no hot water. An hour and a half after arriving at the hotel had still not found a satisfactory room. Had to shower in seperate rooms just to get hot water (one of which did not have a light so was showering in the dark!). In the morning by breakfast was not ready by quarter past 8 when the hotel states it starts at 8am. Juice machine not working. Toasters not plugged in. Shambolic organisation and very short staffed. Unfortunately not a pleasant stay. No refund offered.

• Stayed March 2013