“Fifteen Comfortable Nights”
Review of Allesley Hotel

Allesley Hotel
Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I stayed at the Allesley hotel with my husand and 12 year old daughter for fifteen nights. We came from California to visit my family in Coventry. My Mum and stepdad stayed too in the room next door.
I think that all of these bad reviews are really harsh. First of all, the staff were very friendly and helpful. Amanda or Ashi were there in the resturant in the morning with a full English breakfast that was always hot and delicious. After that they were on reception and were very helpful if we needed anything. Ravi was always friendly and helpful. My nephew had a engagement party while we were there and Ravi made sure that all of their requirements were met. Paul, the bartender was a huge help during the party and always willing to do whatever he could for a more enjoyable stay. Everyone catered to us, no bad words could be said about anyone.
We stayed in room 212 and my mum in room 211. Both rooms were clean and comfortable. We had lots of clothes between the three of us for fifteen days and there was plenty of room to store them. We had a king bed and a chair that that pulled out into a single bed. The pull out bed was a bit lumpy but that was rectified by putting a few thick blankets down under the sheets making it very comfortable. The bathroom was large, the water presure in the shower was strong and the temperature was constant. The shower curtain did stick to us so we just rigged it so that it wouldn't. The only negative thing I could say about the room was that it needed to be vaccumed more often. The reception is beautiful, the back of the hotel needs lots of work doing to it. Yes, it is an old hotel but to us that gave it character. My daughter loved the corridoors and the back of the hotel. She thought it was like something out of a scooby-doo movie. The location of the hotel was great for us. A bus into town right across the street. A very large park over a bridge, a 10th centuary church over the road and beautiful walks in the country from the hotel. My favourite day was when we walked the Counden Wedge and stopped for a beer halfway at the White Lion. Also the Rainbow pub just a few steps away was a friendly place to stop by.
The price of this hotel is very reasonable for what you get. Remember, this place is bieng renovated as we speak. It's not the Ritz Carlton and your'e not paying Ritz Carlton prices.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed June 2, 2011

Well where can i start with this hotel.

After seeing some of the positive reviews on here i seriously doubt the judgement of some people.
Me and my girlfriend booked in for one night to go and see the kings of leon at the ricoh arena and thought this hotel was a bargain of a booking and there would be no catch. How stupid we felt afterwards.
We arrived only for the room to be mysteriously be cancelled on us, with no explaination or back up from the reception as to why this had happened. After making a few phone calls, all of a sudden a room become free. I really wish it hadn't now!
When we got to our room it was like being thrown back to the 60's/70's era. the decor was disgusting. There was damp on the ceiling, the furntiure was falling apart, the bed belonged on a rubbish pile, the bathroom was dirty, once again with damp on the ceiling.
The hot water was unreliable at best. When trying to sleep at night the room rocked and bounced when people walked down the corridor, thats if i could get out of bed because of sinking into the middle. Yes you guessed it the mattress was knackered too.
Finally a comment on the receptionist. Her people skills left nothing to be desired, rude, arrogant and really didn't care.

Incase you didn't get the jist please avoid this hotel like the plague!!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel and always read reviews
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank androidangel
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Absolutely disgusting place, quality and attitude-wise. Perhaps if they'd spent their recent refurb money on room and service quality instead of Ikea-style water features and chandeliers, they'd have something. 3 days with no hot water and revolting, cold breakfasts (and look at the open bags of bread slung atop the buffet breakfast tables for your self-service toasting pleasure to get an inkling of their notion of 'presentation' at this place), and they, after prompting, grudgingly offer a mere £15 discount and no apology, before showing anger instead of concern or remorse when the complaint is pushed further? It's unclear what they're doing with the place, but their intention doesn't seem to be that of making The Allesley a hotel in any normal sense of the word. The punchline is - they clearly don't even care.

Reviewed May 22, 2011

Are you kidding me???? Do NOT stay at this hotel! I have been to two conferences there now and stayed both times for two nights. At first I heard about Allesleys reputation as being not very good, but took it with a pinch of salt. The first visit was exactly that - not very good but we managed to see a funny side and new they were refurbishing.
Ive recently come back from my second visit. At check in we were told that unfortunately there was no water but were GUARANTEED it to be back on by midnight. As I was with a very large party of course we got a little discount on the rooms before hand. I asked if we were going to have any more discount because the lack of water? The receptionist said she would talk to manager but doubts it as we already had room discount. My mistake for thinking that came with water......NOT! Then when we arrived at our room we discovered that it had not been cleaned or bed changed so we were given a new room. Ok I could go on but here is a list of what I got at this hotel:
NO WATER Or HOT WATER( for 3 days in total!)
UNCLEANED ROOM (so had to move)
COLD FOOD (Breakfast, lunch and dinner)
SLOW SERVICE
AND THE NERVE TO BE CHARGED FULL PRICE FOR MY STAY!!!!
stay away from this hotel. Avoid it like the plague!

Room Tip: stay at home!
1  Thank loooch
Reviewed May 19, 2011

After a 20 minute wait at reception to check in my colleague was infomed that due to unforseen circumstances he was being moved into a Coventry City Centre Hotel...lucky escape it transpired

OK the reception was rather dated but full of "character" less could be said of the rooms and corridors. The dark and dingy corridors where in comparison paradise to what I was confronted with when I opened my bedroom door.

The curtains where just about hanging from a improvised metal pole, the only part of the net curtains that weren't dirty were the random holes peppered throughout.

The matteress & bed were so old that I almost sank into the floor. The wardrobe was "open plan" ; coffee and tea was provided shame the kettle wasn't fit to boil water in.

The bathroom was equally jaded the sink & taps hadn't been cleaned for sometime - granted hot water and clean towels where provided

The room had a musty smell to it overall extremely unappealing

I decided to give breakfast a wide berth in the morning

Checking out was even more bizarre - my credit card had tapped up for £90 during check in which I asked to be removed. I couldn't be provided with a final invoice as the printer wasn't working

During checking out I heard several people comment negatively on the state of this hotel ; several of us have since complained of itchyness!!!!

I was fortunate as I only had to endure a few hours in this hotel others may suffer a longer stay

Room Tip: Sleep in your car
Reviewed May 18, 2011

This hotel is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Arriving at 10PM after a long day I was told that they had no rooms available - even though she personally confirmed the room to me by phone a day earlier. I phoned to inform them of my late arrival. After some discussion I was given a room (?) and received the key-card for room 321. The room was in a deplorable state (see pics) with damaged walls, paint hanging of the ceiling in the bathroom, old furniture and dirty carpet. When I asked for another room I was once again told that there were no rooms available... The hotel claimed that their website stated that they're undergoing renovations - this was not true nor was any sign of renovation visible anywhere. AVOID THIS HOTEL!!

Reviewed April 20, 2011

We were here in April as we were going to the NEC in Birmingham and it proved to be a good location for commuting to and from.
We had to book two rooms as we are a group of 6, 2 adults, 2 children and 2 teenagers, but the main reason for booking they had a nice big family room, should have been a double bed and two singles, turned out to be 3 singles and a z bed.
The first impressions of the hotel were very good, although the hotel receptionist wasn't sure we had made a booking, all was sorted out ok.
We then proceeded to our room, up the main stairway which was very nicely decorated quite impressive, ony to find it was the stairway to the ballroom!! We found our stairway, the grotty stairs off to the side!! We then went through a bar area, again quite impressive with velvet chairs studded with crystal buttons, then off down a corridor to our rooms, what a disappointment. The rooms were in need of up dating, considering there were no smoking signs everywhere it stank of smoke, the bathroom was a salmon pink with a white toilet seat, mildew in the shower and a very dodgy shower control!! The boys room was slightly better with a bigger bathroom. The beds were clean and comfortable. These rooms were 114 & 115 beware ask for the updated rooms!!
The breakfast was quite good the first morning, buffet style, but the following morning was cooked to order, which was ok. The restaurant was nice apart from the scaffold tower in the corner!!
The hotel is obviously under redecoration and the parts they have completed are lovely and the ballroom looks quite impressive, but they do need to state that some of the guests rooms are very shabby and do a very reduced price for these rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for the updated rooms or a big discount
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family