“Clean tidy rooms . Ants in the dining room though”

Quality Hotel Coventry
Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Manchester
“Clean tidy rooms . Ants in the dining room though”
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

Clean tidy rooms ,
Clean toilets . Down side ants in the dining room and the bar could do with updating . Also more choice of drinks in the fridges . A vending machine selling cold drinks as the hotel is quite far out from anything else . Over all a nice hotel

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Lilliana9
Coventryquality, Director of Sales at Quality Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Good Morning

Thank your valued review on Trip Advisor.

The Team at the Quality Hotel Coventry look forward very much to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kindest regards

Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2014

The hotel was quite large, there is ample free parking outside and a patio at the front, the staff were friendly and the bar/lounge area is a welcome addition at the end of the day because the sofas are huge and comfy.

The rooms are a nice size but the beds do need changing as they felt more hospital like and could be better on par with the Premier Inn.

I would stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DibDibbler
Coventryquality, Director of Sales at Quality Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Good Morning

Thank you for your very valued review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay here at the Quality Hotel Coventry.

The Team here all look forward very much to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

In the meantime

Kindest regards

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

the hotel itself is good, clean and comfortable. my only quibble is the staff, they seem rather lacklustre when it comes to customer service, that being said if the rooms where at a reasonable rate I would probably stay here again if I was in the area for business.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Clare N
Coventryquality, Director of Sales at Quality Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Good Evening

The Team within the Quality Hotel Coventry are great, hard working and loyal and always get amazing comments.

On this basis, slightly confused and needless to say v pleased as to why you would want to stay again'; albeit we would be totally delighted.

blackpool
Reviewed May 9, 2014

This hotel is good value for money. The rooms are spotlessly clean as is the rest of the hotel and the staff are helpful and friendly. The evening meal and breakfast was excellent. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank jaclush
Hello - Good evening!

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments...

The whole team work within the Quality Hotel Coventry work so hard to ensure our guests have a great stay and to know we GET it right is fabulous.

Come and stay again soon - let me know when you are joining us a I want to meet up with you and say a personal 'thank you'.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I stayed in the Quality Hotel in Coventry for two nights - and had a completely different experience on each night...

On check-in, the service was polite but abrupt, and when I had been given my key, despite obviously being a first-time guest the receptionist didn't give me any guidance as to where I might find my room. Easy to sort though, and off to my room I trotted once armed with the all important directions.

This room (21) was in what I'll call the main block - the block at the front of the hotel, although the room faced the rear. The room was basic but functional and above all clean and warm. Unfortunately, there was a continuous sound of running water inside the walls - presumably in pipes which, as a light sleeper, would undoubtedly keep me awake. On raising this with the reception desk I was informed, quite abruptly, that the hotel was full and that there was no way I could be moved despite it being obvious that there were still people to check in and that it was unlikely that I could be moved the following evening as the hotel was full then too but I was welcome to ask the next day.

Off to dinner then - where I found I'd already gained a new "mate" in the form of a bar tender - or that's what he seemed to think as that's what he called me for the entire evening. Still, the main course was OK - reasonable value, but a more than 30 minute wait for 3 scoops of vanilla ice cream for dessert seemed a bit over the top.

Back to the room - and settling down to try to sleep not only was there the sound of running water, but what I can only describe as a loud hum - it might have been the AC cooler not far from the window, but I can't be sure. Three hours later at around 2am and still no sleep, I called down to reception to ask if they had ear plugs for sale - which they didn't (to be fair, I wasn't really expecting the chap who answered to say yes, but it was worth a punt). I then asked if he knew where the nearest 24 hour pharmacy was - which, rather surprisingly, he didn't (I'd have thought this might have been important information for a hotel to have at hand), and then where the nearest 24 hour supermarket might be and again no luck, "sorry, I'm not from round here".

So, a satnav assisted trip to Tesco God-Knows-Where, and back with earplugs in hand, I eventually got to sleep at around 3am. Great when you need to be back in the office for 8.

Reception next morning was a completely different affair. My complaints we dealt with with sympathy, an assurance that maintenance would take a look during the day (assuming I was OK for them to go into the room of course) and if they couldn't fix it, that I would most definitely be moved. Wow... I guess there must have been a host of cancellations overnight.

The breakfast staff were cheerful and helpful, and the breakfast was good quality and value and pretty standard fare for a hotel breakfast.

On return the following evening, the water problem hadn't been fixed, and on making this known at reception, Chloe (who has already been commended in other reviews) couldn't have been more helpful and moved me to a room in the block to the rear of the hotel (58).

What a difference... significantly improved décor and complete silence. All the time I was in the room I heard nothing despite being a the top of the stairs where other guests must have been passing.

My mate in the bar had clearly gone off me and was calling me "sir", although that may have been down to what appeared to be his boss working with him behind the bar that evening - still, more appropriate I felt. Food service was prompt for both courses!

I appreciate that the first half of this review is significantly longer than the second and significantly more negative, but I'm sure it's clear why and I hope that the hotel - who clearly reads these comments - takes them in the spirit that they're intended - as opportunities for improvement. There are some training needs there amongst the staff, but there are also some gems. I'm sure they can work out from the information in the review when I stayed and who I dealt with. If not, I'd be more than happy to provide more detailed information privately should they want it.

The ratings I've given are an average across the two evenings.

Room Tip: From my limited experience, a room in the block at the rear if there's a choice.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Andrew P
Good Evening

Thank you for your very valued and very lengthy review!

All the various and extremely detailed comments are noted.

Sales Manager

Travelers are raving about these Coventry hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I stayed at the Quality Hotel during a recent exhibition at the NEC. It is in a god location, around 10 minutes drive from the showground’s themselves. The hotel is clean and tidy with a nice balcony at the front where you can relax and have a drink. The bar `area is a good size with comfortable sofas and chairs. We ate in the bar area and the food was good quality with reasonable sized portions. The service throughout the hotel is very good with friendly, helpful staff. The room I had was a double (just) situated at the rear of the front block. This was away from the main road so nice and quiet although you could be disturbed if there were any early morning deliveries! The room was clean and adequate, if a little small, and the shower room/toilet was very small. Be careful in the shower as the heat is controlled by a lever – something that is very easy to knock as you are showering, changing the water to either ice cold or boiling hot! For what we paid, it was very good value.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank David B
Good Evening

Thank you so much for your valued review.... All your comments have been noted, taken on board and will be actioned. Without such feedback we cannot move forward!!!!

Kind regards

Stockport, England
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Let me begin by saying that this review may not be a true reflection on standards of accomodation offered to individual bookers. We visited as part of a National Holidays weekend mystery tour and expectations need to be lowered accordingly. My first impressions after viewing the hotel supplied photographs, on my return home, is that they bare no resemblance to either our room or the catering facilities that we were fobbed off with. I know better than to expect top quality from a National trip and that is just the way it is although they usually still represents value for money.
On with the review:-
On arrival we were faced with a very impressive looking building which did bode well for our stay. The outdoor seating areas appear to benefit from the sun from mid morning through to sunset and there are plenty of chairs and tables. The view, once you look past the main road, is staggeringly beautiful and I can imagine spending lovely summer evenings sat there with a nice refreshing drink. There are brackets for hanging baskets all along the front wall which were unused unfortunately, maybe later in the year. First impressions on entering the building were OK with no immediate wow factor evident but on the other hand no overwhelming disappointment resulting either. Check in was as simple as picking up an envelope containing your key and a short letter giving dinner and breakfast times. Our room was on the first floor at the front of the hotel and a short walk upstairs and along a corridor brought us to Room 30. On entering we were underwhelmed, the room was clean enough but very spartan in both furnishings and decor. Everything appeared clean enough and functional. The bed was OK if a little low and the bedding was all clean. The pillows were very thin and I needed the two spares from the wardrobe to achieve a level of comfort. The main feature is a large wall mounted TV with the full FREEVIEW channel selection. All the furniture matches but appears to be of quite poor quality but it does provide more than enough storage capacity for an overnight stay. There is a hairdrier in one of the drawers in the main dresser. This is also where the brew facilities are located. There were enough milks and sugars for a single brew each but no biscuits supplied. The bathroom was quite small with a corner shower, a sink and a full sized pedestal. This was probably the worst part of the room as a whole and it looked in need of a refurb or at least a sprucing-up. There was a soap dispenser over the sink and another in the shower cubicle although the soap they dispensed was not of great quality. Towels were in good supply and were clean and fairly fluffy. Toilet roll was of poor quality but again ample in quantity although the toilet roll holder was broken. There was an ever-present musty smell in the bathroom. Well that about describes the room, it was OK for a one night stay but I wouldn't book it as an individual or a couple if staying in the area. The photo's supplied by the hotel do not show this type of room in all it's glory and you could be lead to believe that all the rooms in the hotel are beautifully decorated and appointed. For the price we paid National for the weekend it was just acceptable and to expect anything that truly matches the blurb would be sheer folly. Obviously the 8/10 rating is not based solely on the reviews of National guests. Anyway, on to dinner which we had been informed would be served at 7-15pm. A decent time to allow everyone time to refresh from the rigours of the day and perhaps even partake in a pre-dinner snifter. It was not immediately obvious where dinner was being served and only by walking through the restaurant used by individual guests did we end up in what appeared to be a function room being utilised as a second restaurant. There was a menu on each table and the choices for dinner were as follows:- Starter - Vegetable soup, egg mayonaisse or pate served without any relish or toast. Main Course - Fish pie, roast chicken or macaroni cheese. Accompaniments were mixed vegetables, mash potato and gravy. Dessert - Apple pie and custard, trio of ice-cream and sticky toffee gateau. I know, it all sounds OK and in truth I suppose it was. Anyway it went like this:- starter was served at your table, main course was buffet style and dessert was served at table. The fun really started with the serving of starters, there was no coming round and taking orders beforehand. No, what happened here was a waitress would appear with two bowls of soup and then find diners who wanted them. Another waitress would follow with two egg mayonaisses and ask who wanted them. This continued until everyone had their choice but it took a while. From an organisational point of view it was very slow and amateurish in both its concept and its implementation. There were three soups and one egg mayo on our table and the concensus was that the soup was really good and the egg as OK. Nobody had the pate but I would have done had there been any toast or relish/chutney served alongside it. We had all eaten our bread roll while waiting for the serving debacle to start. The queue for mains was very slow moving but it was moving. The main element was served by the chef and you helped yourself to accompaniments. The macaroni cheese looked very stodgy and is something more akin to a school dinner than a serious grown-up evening meal. The fish pie didn't vary very much in appearance from the mashed potato although as nobody on our table chose it I can't comment any further. The chicken appeared to be under water in the serving tray and to my greedy eyes looked like it was the breast of a previously unfamiliar miniature breed. It was small OK. The mashed potato was what it was and the mixed vegetables were varied, well cooked and hot. There were three chickens and one macaroni cheese on our table and concensus was that the chicken was OK albeit small and, as one of our party doesn't like mashed potato, her entire dinner was small. I opted to disregard the mash and loaded up with the mixed vegetables. Desserts began to arrive in the now familiar ad hoc manner and our table chose two ice creams and two apple pies. Both were enjoyed by the respective diners and I can't comment on the gateau. All in all dinner wasn't great and to make it worse the restaurant area that we had to walk through to get here contained diners on our way out. These people obviously had ordered real food from a real menu and it smelled good. After dinner we attempted tp retire to the bar area as entertainment had been provided. Unfortunately, as another coach had turned up after us, there was a bum on every seat. We ended up sitting in a variety of fairly scruffy but comfortable chairs in reception. As it turned out this was an ideal situation once the incredibly loud band started up in the bar area. They played an interesting mixture of Irish tunes and some more unrecognisable stuff that could have been skiffle or it could have been hip-hop for all we knew such was the volume and piercing nature of the vocalists warblings. We had been forewarned by the driver that the bar was very expensive. In short, no it wasn't. There was a happy hour notice propped up on the bar offering £1 off each drink between 8 and 10pm. In short we were paying £8.70 for 2 pints of Caffreys, a whisky and lemonade and a half pint of Olde English cider. Bargain. The night passed fairly pleasantly and we all turned in. The room was very hot due to being bathed in sunshine all afternoon and we found that we needed to leave the window open overnight. The main road was fairly noisy all night but it doesn't affect us that much as we live under a flightpath and are used to noise. We had a fairly decent sleep although the wife awoke complaining about aching limbs and blaming the hardness of the bed. I thought it was OK. Anyway it was time to pack and go down for breakfast. Hopes were high as, once again, the real restaurant smelled really good as we passed through it. I was lloking forward to a decent full English and to say I was disappointed with what was on offer is a massive understatement. I should have known better after the dinner from last night I suppose. Basically there was orange juice and a choice of 2 cereals in addition to the cooked breakfast. This comprised fried eggs, bacon, mushrooms and baked beans. There was also pre-prepared toast available. Not a sausage in sight or a hash brown, or black pudding or tomato, or scrambled egg. The eggs were mostly overcooked, the bacon appeared to have been boiled and the mushrooms like-wise. Very poor fayre with the exception of the beans which were OK. There was a flask of coffee but you had to take your cup to it. No fresh drinks served at table. We moaned about the sausages all day to the extent that it almost became funny. It wasn't.
As I said at the start this review should not be taken as a definitive statement concerning standards of accomodation and catering available at this hotel. It's what you get if you stay here on a National break. The great shame is that it taints opinion to the extent where, as I stated previously, I would not select this hotel as an individual or a couple staying in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have a great view but are of generally poor quality
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter H
Hello

Thank you for your very valued and very lengthy review.

The Team at the Quality Hotel Coventry are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Kind regards