“Good hotel, shame about the parking”

Premier Inn Coventry City Centre (Earlsdon Park) Hotel
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Booked this at the last minute as there was fog forecast on the M40 the following morning so decided to drive up the previous evening. As others have said, not the easiest to find even with satnav (hard to know exactly where you are on the Coventry ring road if you are doing this for the first time).

First impressions - there are acres of parking outside, why no cars? Is anyone at home? Thankfully I had read the reviews so was aware of the short-term parking issues but not the details. I was greeted by a very helpful member of staff who proceeded to introduce me to a machine to check me in. (I can see the day coming when the members of staff are superfluous and you get fined for not using the check-in machines fast enough...). That all worked fine and I managed to find my room, leave my bags and return to my car and move it within the 30 minute allocated timespan so avoided the £100 fine. A bit like playing Monopoly, once you know the rules. Back from the car park, used the wrong ticket machine so paid £5 not £4.50 for my parking (the correct machine is inside the hotel lobby and yes this had been pointed out to me but not easy to get all this right late at night after a 2 hour drive). Thankfully did not oversleep (see some of the one star reviews for this hotel) so also managed to get up in time for breakfast, eat it, and leave within the 12 hour allocated slot thus finally avoiding the £100 fine for the second time.

The hotel is good, the parking is not. I would not choose to stay here again for that simple reason. Sorry Premier Inn. You need to change this.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank MASWScreenwriter

Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

We booked online.... It booked 2 rooms. We phoned to cancel 1 room as we only needed 1. We booked a family room 2 adults 2 children and a baby. When phoning to cancel as traveling for 4 hours to the hotel we requested early check- in for about 11am. On arrival the hotel looked very nice. At the tiny hard to see check-in desk we spoke to the receptionist and said we had requested early check-in... by now the time was about 1pm 2 hour later than requested due to diversions on motorway. The receptionist said u will av to wait i dont have the list...so we said ok....we waited n waited the kids very grumpy. I asked again..your rooms not ready i was told. I was very narked as it should have been ready 2 hours previous as requested. We waited n waited we then realised about parking so we asked again she just said in a stern voice uve not been half hour yet!! We said ok but it felt longer but we believed her as we were tired. We finaly got our room at 2.05pm we droped our stuff in the room and went to visit friends we intended to visit. We had a great day. Night time we went to bed at about 10pm as shatterd from long day. For about 3-4 hours it was as if the walls were being caved in....the sound of kuds running up and down the hall ways. Despite going out a number of times it carried on. So very grumpy me!! Morning came i refused to go for breakfast cos of my experiance of the hotel so far. I just wanted out. I needed to re-iron my kids clothes as got creaced in bag i requested an iron n ironing board. It came but basicaly got chucked at me at the door. This angerd me further as was same staff who kept us waiting. We came to check out i mentioned the noise all i got was i will refund your card n walked away....no apology or anything!! Once again same person. week passed i recieved a parking fine from the hotels parking eye. As we were only supposed to stay in hotel parking for half hour we were actualy in for 1 hour 20 min. I knew we waited longer than half hour the receptionist said we hadnt n not to worry. Im so angry with her and will never stay there again. Ive emailed the hotel about the fine they said they will sort it. Ive not recieved a reply to any of my 4 emails. Also have never recieved a folow up survey email. Ive stayed in premier inn all over world and always had these emails but not from this one. Hotel is a disgrace!!!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank gemmajamal
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Coventry City Centre (Earlsdon Park) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Many thanks for your review. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay, and for this reason your feedback is very much appreciated as we endeavour to improve standards and meet all our customer’s needs. Please email your booking details to talktous@premierinn.com so we can investigate further. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Excellent stay had the wife and 3 kids one 14 one 5 and the other 3 months lots of space comfy beds temperature control room. Excellent breakfast all you can eat to fill you for the day. Friendly staff with lots of smiles

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Steve H
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Came here on business. Greeted by extremely helpful receptionist. All staff were polite and cheerful. Made the stay very relaxing. Parking slightly random but again staff there to help. Rooms very clean, good size, quiet.
Restaurant very good service and nothing was too much trouble.
One of the best Premier Inns I have been to.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank holidayqueenSomerset
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Stayed overnight in order to attend a 40th Birthday Party locally and can find no fault with the Staff or the Room. We had asked for a quiet room when booking and this was confirmed by the receptionist when we arrived. And indeed a quiet room (at the back of the hotel) was what we got.

The hotel (which was the old Coventry Technical College and not a hospital as in another review) is everything that you would expect from a Premier Inn. The room was clean if not a little sparsely furnished and the only downside was poor TV reception on all but the BBC1 and BBC2 channels but that was of no real consequence to us during our stay.

We fully endorse other comments about excellent staff and we would particularly like to praise Libby who went out of her way to help us locate a watch which we had managed to leave behind. The watch, which was of tremendous sentimental value, had actually fallen into the waste bin and it was only Libby's diligent approach to searching the room which meant we were able to recover it.

I understand that parking may be an issue but we had absolutely no problem in parking in a very well lit side-street opposite the hotel. "Seek and thou shalt find" :)

Room Tip: We had Room 335 and it was, as requested, very quiet
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LindaandTYJ
Reviewed December 1, 2013

The building appears to be an old council type building so the rooms are big.

Staff here were the best of I have experienced in Premier Inn, there are self check in machines, Premier Inn please DO NOT replace these excellent staff with machines :)

I would stay here again even though parking is a little awkward.

Room Tip: Parking out front is 30 mins only and its all camera based with 100 fine, parking is in a car park j...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Darren I
Reviewed November 29, 2013

On the good side, my room was clean and modern with plenty of space. So much so that I almost got lost between the bed and the sofa. Breakfast was good quality if a little overpriced.

On the less good side... first, the entrance is hidden away and not all that easy to find. When you go in you walk past what looks like a vending machine and into the restaurant area before you see anyone. They point you back to the vending machine, which is in fact an automatic check-in (a bit like a station ticket machine). You then go through a long check-in procedure with ominous warnings about credit card surcharges while a member of staff watches and assists - the process would take half the time with a traditional manned reception desk. The machine dispenses your paperwork and room card. The room card is supposed to activate the lift and access your room, but it took three tries before I had a card that did both.

The room itself was comfortable but completely without character, and nicely pre-chilled. By putting the air con on max I could warm it up a little. Despite turning it off overnight there was a constant ventilation noise in the room. Wifi (extra cost) was ok but not very fast.

Overall, a good place if all you want is a bed for the night close to the city centre. If you want anything more sociable I'd try elsewhere!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Coventry City Centre (Earlsdon Park) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests receive a warm welcome in a clean and comfortable environment, I sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please be assured your comments have been noted and will be investigated with our Management Team.